Author Topic: Giving up - filling in pond  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Giving up - filling in pond
« on: April 01, 2007, 01:11:01 PM »
I'm giving up on the lily pond and filling it in.  It has a small bog attached and I'll need to move those plants somewhere, not sure where.  Maybe I'll sink a little tub somewhere for them.  Or maybe I'll move the patio pots up near where the pond was and put the bog plants in them.  It's right in the middle of the upper yard and nothing much will grow in it - water hawthorne, parrots feather and frogbit are all that's been in it for the last several years.  There are too many snakes and frogs and it's too small for nice fish to survive long, so it usually just has a couple of little commets in it - has nothing in it now.

So I'm filling it in and reclaiming the yard.  Sad.   :'(

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Giving up - filling in pond
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »
Yes....VERY.  :'( :'( :'(

Wanna Baby Doll Lotus as a consolation prize? :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 01:26:50 PM »
Don't blame you. We decided against our lily pond to because we  can't use the backyard and we are out of room in the front yard. Hopefully after the City clears the woods behind the house this week we can expand our fence out to the property line and plant some grass. Maybe next year. :'( I had all of those extra lily's left over this year from last season.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 01:36:04 PM »
I'm going to find a good company to come and revamp the big pond tho . . . . the good news is that big brother gave me a lovely little ochiba shigure for it.  It's the only kind of koi I have ever wanted and he knew it.  I wouldn't have gotten one for myself because I didn't really think the pond was big enough, but he said it would be ok. 

I'd love a babydoll if you have extra - it's a really small lotus, right?  Isn't it what they call a teacup?  If so, I will put it in Steffie's Pondlet from last year because I'm going to get her a bigger nicer pot for her pondlet for this year.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 02:21:40 PM »
Uhh,

Does today's date have anything to do with your announcement, Teresa?????

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »
No, it's not an April Fools joke.  I decided yesterday that I was going to fill it in.  That area of the yard is nice and flat and makes the perfect place for the girls to play ball or whatever.  It's also surrounded by swings and benches, so it's the perfect place to entertain.  At least it would be if there wasn't a big, wet hole in the middle where nothing grows anyway.  Yes, I know, there are shade loving pond plants and I've tried growing them there.  I had limited success and didn't really want most of the plants that badly anyway.  For the last 3 or maybe 4 years all that's lived and thrived in that pond is the hawthorne, parrots feather and frogbit - all weeds that will grow anywhere under any circumstances.

I can move the hawthorne to the big pond.  The others won't move because the big pond has a skimmer, but I don't care much about them anyway.

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 05:37:09 PM »
so sad Theresa, but I can't say I blame you.  A lily pond that won't grow lilies isn't any fun.  Can you do a barrel with one of the small lily varieties? 
Mary

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 06:49:16 PM »
Sorry to hear about your giving up the small pond Teresa, but glad to hear you're not giving up ponding completely. How big is your other pond that you'll be revamping. Is it mainly for fish?

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 06:16:43 AM »
Sounds like a good decision for all the right reasons.
When the time is right, you'll find just the right spot for a lilie pond.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 07:00:41 AM »
The big pond is somewhere between about 800 and 1000 gallons - it's actually a series of 3 ponds, a waterfall and a stream/waterfall.  It's quite lovely, but has been too shady for lilies almost since day one (did get blooms the first summer and maybe the second, but never one without a turtle bite in the middle).  I built the lily pond right after I had 12 trees taken down and it had sun.  Unfortunately smaller trees have grown bigger and bigger trees have branched out to fill in the empty spaces.  I have an awful lot of trees in my yard - which is nice when it comes to hiding neighbors houses and absorbing traffic noises, but doesn't allow for lily growth.

Yes, I do have several large pots on the patio - the last remaining corner where I get enough sun for a few blooms.  Tammie has sent me tropicals every spring for several years and they usually bloom for me.  I also have two mini hardies that bloom - graziella and an unnamed pink.  I used to have helvola but the raccoons threw it in the yard when we were at the beach and it died.

I'm going to go buy a new trough to put on the patio that will hold 2 or maybe 3 lilies . . . .

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 07:03:21 AM »
Here's a pic of the lily pond in it's glory days . . . . .

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:21:54 PM »
What a cute little pond! Is that water poppy I see on the bottom right?

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 05:02:20 AM »
Sorry your filling it in, but from all the reasons you give the dissison sounds like a good one, and you do still have the other pond, the new koi and water garden containers are always a great option.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 10:07:39 AM »
Yes Shae, that is water poppy.  Tammie sent it to the turtles as a gift several years ago.  I had it for many years, but it decided it didn't like living without sun either and croaked. 

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 02:55:44 PM »
Oh! Oh! Oh!  What are you going to do it those rocks!?  Can I have one?
Tammie

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »
Oh Tammie Honey, you can have them all . . . . you just hafta come and get 'em!

Seriously, I just don't know what I'm going to do with them.  There's a lot up there and I'm not looking forward to carrying them all somewhere else . . . .

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 07:24:03 PM »
Hey Theresa:

Are you still interested in Little Sue or Helvola?  I will be bringing my daughter to camp June 8 and could drop them off on the 9th on my way back to the Airport or I could drop some off when I come back in July.  PM me when you have a chance,

Gary

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 10:08:02 AM »
Teresa,
I thought for sure this was an April Fools joke. I'm sorry that it is not.  :( What a pretty lily pond!

Tammie, Now that the snow is gone and I can actually see my rocks, I will send you some. Meant to do it last fall but the snow flew early.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 10:15:41 AM »
Teresa, I feel your pain. Lilies wouldn't bloom in my big pond either. Too darn shady. So, after years of frustration I talked DH into letting me build small liner ponds in the front yard where we get a lot more sun and they have been wonderful. Tons of blooms.

Do you have more sun in front? Could you place barrels or pots on either side of your driveway or garage?

The raccoons do get in the front ponds as they aren't electrified but the lilies are planted in soil over liner, no pots and they have not ever been ripped out, just a few tattered pads.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »
Such a cute lily pond...... sad to hear that it's going to be filled in. :'(

Looking forward to seeing pix of your Koi. o(

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 05:48:56 PM »
  If you don't find a way to use your rocks in your garden (I would LOVE them, but am not near you), you can go to Freecycle.com and find someone in your area to dig em up and cart them away. Probably will take all your pond stuff. You can also request free soil to fill in the hole.
  HTH  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 12:59:24 PM »
I've tried the water poppies too that last 2 year with no success. Backyard is too shady. Maybe once I get the above ground lily pond in the front yard, I'll try again.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 05:31:30 PM »
Tammie Honey, I'd send you all those rocks in a heartbeat if I could afford the postage . . . . did you get my last box? 

Shae the poppy did well in that pond for a long time . . . the blooms got sparser and sparser as it got shadier and shadier and eventually the plant died.  The turtles loved to chew them to pieces tho and that's why Tammie sent them to me.  She's a sucker for a little green shell . . . . .

I'll still have my lilies, but I'll just have them in pots on the patio - the last bastion of sunshine in the backyard.  They'll be right next to the passion flowers that also love sun . . . .

And LeeAnne the raccoons did tear up the pond and the lily pots.  The only lilies that didn't make it thru it were helvola and pygmaea which were tossed unceremoneously in the middle of the backyard where they sat for several days while we were away at the beach.  It was too late for them when we got home - I tried to put them back in the water anyway, to no avail.

I figure that as long as the 'coons aren't in the house, I'm doing good.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 10:40:44 PM »
I did get that box!  The Easter bunny brought it!  Cuz nobody told me it was sitting in their car till today  >:(-  It's a miracle everything wasn't melted!  I was going to email you, but my email is being screwy... acually my whole computer is being wacky.  I can't use any icons on my desktop...  I have not idea what is going on. 
Anyways, I should be about 20 lbs heavier in about 2 weeks!   lol
Seems to me there were more in there then there was suppose to be! 
Tammie

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 07:46:22 AM »
A little bonus for having to wait so long . . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"