Author Topic: My first magor Division?? I added a Pic of the lilly  (Read 1897 times)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My first magor Division?? I added a Pic of the lilly
« on: April 01, 2007, 05:36:09 PM »
Well everyone, after rereading all the info here I took on my lilly that dh got me in 05. I had no clue? After much trying I finally got it out of the pot.From there the night mare began. It was in a 2 or 3 gal pot that it came from the nursery in. It actually scared me cuz it was so compacted and huge. I hosed and hosed and did my best to get it untangled, but it was dificult. After a lot of that I finally got a big knife from the kitchen,( and we wont tell dh about that! ) I was scared cuz I wasent relly sure how to go about it. I ended up getting about 15 different cuts off it all with there own crown. I hosed and pulled tell my fingers are sore. I repotted 3 of them using my compost and dirt and using the occmocote, then topping off with a layer of sand and then pea gravel. I sure hope I did it all right? I potted 2 for a nurse friend at work, and I'm foatting the rest tell I can find homes. well ponds.the ting that anoyes me is it didn't have a name on it when he brought it home and he paied $30 bucks for it. So I called the nurery where he got it and they had no clue. I told them it was just wrong to sell something for that much and not even have a name for it. but that's a different story. At it's biggest point where I cut it was a good 4" across. Looked like a log, lol! So I'm in hopes that I did ok and they grow well for me.Here are a few pic's I took along the way.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:29:31 PM by happyoutsidegirl »
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My first magor Division????/
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 05:49:10 PM »
Whoa, those roots  :o

Looks like you did a great job. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »
That poor lily was just screaming to get out of that pot. I hope all your work pays off.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 06:34:02 PM »
Whoa, those roots  :o

Looks like you did a great job. 

Kim
Man I hope so! I was trembling with the first cut! I couldn't see much threw all that hairy stuff! But once I made the first cut and hosed some more I found crowns down under in the middle of all that stuff. How tough are thy? I cut quite a few roots off in this process, but each still had a good amount on them. And I didn't find any rott at all? I thought that was pretty good. So I think I'd be safe saying go no more than every other yeard to devide?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 06:41:41 PM »
You probably did just fine.  I remember when I divided my first lily's.  I had two in a small upper part of a preform.  They had grown together, couldn't see any of the pots.  Didn't know where to cut, I finally just took a shovel and went straight down the middle.  Then went from there.  All my divisions made it.  They are tough.

Kim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 05:42:28 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 06:43:21 PM »
It's scary the first time, but they are really tough. You did great!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Shawn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »
Have a Colorado and Texas Dawn that did that to me... Funny thing is, they were a big division from someone (old board Mike?) who had made 3 large ones from a single... After a year I made another 3 large ones.. Amazing how quickly they grow!!
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 04:20:09 AM »
Thanks for all the good incouragement! I'll keep ya posted. My fingers are still sore!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 11:05:07 AM »
Good job Debbie! I'm sure they'll all make it - hardies are tough. Maybe when you get some blooms you can get some help from others on identifying it  :)
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 11:24:16 AM »
You said this was a plant bought in 05. Do you have pictures of it blooming over the last 2 years? If you have good pix of the lilies and the pads it might be that someone could identify it for you without having to wait another month or two.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 05:02:03 PM »
Yes I do, I'll shrink one now.  Ok I did it and here is about the best one I could find.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 06:49:02 PM »
Now that you are an expert at long division, you can sit back and watch them multiply.  ;)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 06:58:49 PM »
 lol Thats a good one Ester! buy the way did you all see how good my spray painted Hosp. issue tubs looked?  ;D I did 4 round ones and 3 rectaingel ones. and i'm sure I'll be doing more. I sure know not to let them go so long. Dang, my poor fingers are STILL sore from digging that monster apart in the cold water.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Krodity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/03/2007
    • View Profile
Re: My first magor Division?? I added a Pic of the lilly
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 12:35:14 AM »
I think they look great.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 01:49:32 PM »
Debbie, looks like you did a great job!!!!  I have  6  that are in what ADI calls plant pockets that have been growing outside the pockets for the last year (some are from 04 some from 05)  I have never divided them because it looked like such a pain to get them out of there, this year I will try when we do our cleanout.  I'm dreading it because I know how huge they must be and what a mess it will probably make.  I'm thinking I may just put them in pots and then put the pots in the pockets, easier for next time.  Good thing I'm digging that lily pond so if I can't get red of them I'll have some place to put them till I do.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »
Yikes Marla!! Good luck with them. I hope your weather turnes good soon! ;)
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"