Author Topic: Cold weather next weekend - what to do with lotus?  (Read 834 times)

Offline backyardponder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Cold weather next weekend - what to do with lotus?
« on: April 02, 2007, 07:11:53 AM »
Heeelp! :-\

It's been really warm here (mid 70's to 80's) but the weather is going to turn cold on Wednesday and the high temp. on Saturday is supposed to be 40 F :o :o
I've potted my lotus, one in a ceramic pot that can be moved and the other in a whiskey barrel that is way too heavy to lift. They are both looking good and I can see roots coming out.  Are they going to be ok? :-\
It's supposed to go back to mid-50's by next week.
Thanks,
Eija

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
Re: Cold weather next weekend - what to do with lotus?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 07:17:16 AM »
Don't worry a bit, they will be fine.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 07:17:26 AM »
Someone herew ill be able to give you good advice, stay tuned!! Since lotus are hardy, I would think they are able to take a brief dip in temps. Maybe some leaves above the water may get damaged. maybe you can cover the pots with light sheets or blankets in the evening to prevent frost??
Kathy

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:53:33 AM »
Someone herew ill be able to give you good advice, stay tuned!! Since lotus are hardy, I would think they are able to take a brief dip in temps. Maybe some leaves above the water may get damaged. maybe you can cover the pots with light sheets or blankets in the evening to prevent frost??

As Johns said, your lotus will be perfectly fine.

if they have leaves above the surface, you might cover the pots to prevent a heavy frost from getting them.

Offline backyardponder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 08:00:10 AM »
Thank you!!! @O@
I feel better now.  There will a couple of nights with frost, I'll cover them up.  ;)

Eija

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"