Author Topic: Mother nature is really TICKIN' ME OFF!!  (Read 3464 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Mother nature is really TICKIN' ME OFF!!
« on: April 02, 2007, 06:40:09 PM »
 >:(- Supposed to be 70 degrees tomorrow, but DROP to the 30's the rest of the week and SNOW!
Kathy

Offline backyardponder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Mother nature is really TICKIN' ME OFF!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:42:30 PM »
Same here in Southwest Ohio.  80's tomorrow and then to low 40's.
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Eija

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:45:46 PM »
At least we're getting some warm days. It allowed me to get the pond up and running without freezing to death. I was cleaning the filters 2-3 times a day and getting all wet doing it. I don't like hosing off those filters when it is cold out.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 06:47:45 PM »
Esther I saw your posts on the brushes! You have been working hard! You are the PVC Queen! That should be your screen name!!
Kathy

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 06:49:15 PM »
I know how ya feel but this is pretty normal for around here. In may we can get into the 80ies and still drop down to freezing at night. We are famious for our nights cooling off and in Aug. it's very welcome.Of coarse it's not that extreem tho.We can safely plant our gardens after Mothersday.I started cleaning my skimmer filter about 2 weeks ago and I agree, it's not fun getting wet when it's only 40 something.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 07:12:49 PM »
HOgirl! We can't safely plant until Memorial day weekend. It's normal for us to go through this too, Many years there is snow at Tiger Stadium on opening day. We don't seem to get much middle ground weather. We go from one extreme to another. I'm just really tired of being cold! haha!
Kathy

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 07:44:39 PM »
I know. It's going to be 20s on Wednesday. Tow weeks ago it was so warm. I have received lotus tubers from out-of-state and now it is going to stay indoor till May.  :(

If our temperatures fluctuates that much, I wonder if my lotus will survive outside.

Dave (SE Michigan)
Dave (SE Michigan, zone 6)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 09:47:26 PM »
Same here in KY too.  For the past several years, everytime my huge azalea goes to bloom it gets cold and a frost gets the buds except for the ones under the eve of the house.  I cover it with a big sheet, but it normally doesn't help much.  Its just loaded this year, with a few just starting to open.  It figures.  But I will still cover it and try to save them, along with the blooms on my Apple twig.

Kim
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 06:31:53 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 10:40:55 PM »
I know how ya feel but this is pretty normal for around here. In may we can get into the 80ies and still drop down to freezing at night. We are famious for our nights cooling off and in Aug. it's very welcome.Of coarse it's not that extreem tho.We can safely plant our gardens after Mothersday.I started cleaning my skimmer filter about 2 weeks ago and I agree, it's not fun getting wet when it's only 40 something.

You are much braver than we are here.   MAYBE mid May we MIGHT consider trying to plant outside if the extended forecast looks ok.  There are years where we didn't plant until first week of June.

Was 24 here last night.  Had to run frost fans to protect the soft fruit trees.  Had snow spitting today!  Was 70 last week.  Ok spring push old man winter out the window please!!!  O0
Mary

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 04:18:30 AM »
Yes the noisey wind machines are going full blast as I speak. My neighbor put a new one in last year and I still haven't gotten quite use to it. And as soon as they are done the cherrie popers and cannons will start. >:(-
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 04:52:48 AM »
We got a quick blast of 3 day warm weather a couple weeks ago, but since it's been in the 50's.  Rained again last night and probably all day today, then down in the 30's and low 20's at night.  Won't be doing a cleanout this week.  Wish it would stop raining also so we could get digging the new lily pond.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Monica

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 05:26:36 AM »
It is supposed to be 83 today and then drop to the 40's and maybe snow by the end of the week.  The weather is so unpredictible and it really sucks why can't it just stay 80
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 05:35:25 AM »
Marla, we are getting the rain you had yesterday. It's way early for even the warm weather we've had. It sure was welcome. Look Kathy.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 07:25:08 AM »
AWESOME ESTHER!!! I LOVE IT!! Haha!
Yep, I kept telling my son (10) that we would get snow the first week of April and he didn't believe me. SCORE ONE FOR MOM FOR A CHANGE! haha!
The warm up sure was welcome but it makes it so much harder to take the cold again.

Dave-
I think your lotus will be o.k. They are hardy, so the leaves on top may get damaged but the tuber should send up new ones.
Kathy

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 03:42:59 PM »
It's not getting cold here! @O@

Happy ponding.
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Pam B

• Members
  • Pam
  • With us since: 28/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 05:10:16 PM »
 >:( yep, I'm sooooo sick of the cold. With the ice off the pond and the Koi swimming it must be spring. Unfortunately not yet! Everyday I look at the pond dreaming of warm weather, a cold beer and the sun in my face. AHHHHHH can't wait.
Pam

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 08:45:21 PM »

Heck I have been moving plants and doing some planting. I even moved  the Arum Lilies outside. They seem to be doing fine. Been in the 80/90's during the day and 50/60's at night.  So far so good. Now I remember why I moved from Muskegon.....  {:-P;;

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline laurw

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 09:00:01 PM »
Thanks, Andy.

Just for rubbing that little bit of salt in the wound, we Northeasterners will be happy to send another 100,000 retirees down Florida way.  ;)

(Rain and snow predicted for tomorrow night here too.)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 09:19:35 PM »
We're getting a hard freeze tonight...hard enough to damage the tulips. Spring freezes don't normally harm the spring bulbs but they predict this one will. Bummer!! The only thing I have to cover is my 2 Lotus. One is on the front porch and the other is planted and covered with water but still sitting outside the pond waiting for someone taller than my 5' 2" body to place it in the water. My son and husband are tall (s-6' 2" and h-6' 7") so have arms long enough to place it inside the pond without having to climb in. Anyone want to place bets on who ends up actually putting it in there??
Cath
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:00 AM »
My money is on you Cath!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 04:29:02 AM »
MAYBE all of us northerners should invite ourselves to visit these warm weather ponders for an extended stay, say from January till May?haha! That might shut them up! haha! Just kidding guys!!
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 05:32:05 AM »
Yup, warm enough yesterday to go clean the filters barefoot. Snowing this morning.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 05:44:38 AM »
Esther you must be kidding!! It was freezing cold here yesterday! Did you get a warm spot on your side of the state?
Kathy

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 07:38:53 AM »
It was warm here yesterday too, but today is a different story.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 08:09:22 AM »
Waterford must be in a cold zone, lucky me!
Glad to see I'm not the only one complaining about the weather!
I just got my lotus tuber from Matherfish (looks fabulous!) but I am not sure how to proceed with it in this weather.
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 08:16:39 AM »
The sun came out in the late afternoon and it warmed up.

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 10:53:14 AM »
Kathy, you can just pot it according to your original plan, but place it near a window INDOOR. I assume your house is heated above freezing temperature  ;)  so your tuber should be fine.

I also got some tubers about two weeks ago. I did the above and they are doing well. Leaves are opening, and new leaves are coming out of the water. I plan to put them outside once the average low gets above 50.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 12:39:17 PM »
Dave-
matherfish said i could put them in a tub of water, with a rock to anchor them in a sunny window. Change water every few days. She said move them out during the day when it's above 40, and back in at night.

Did you see my post on Barton's near you?
kathy
Kathy

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 01:15:01 PM »
Kathy, actually I am keeping mine in water too because I have two of them, so potting them in full clay soil, water, etc. is going to make them heavy to move out later.

But I didn't move it in and out because I have a window that receives reasonable sunlight. Less than ideal but I figure it is ok. They don't have to grow that fast when the outside temperature is not ready for them anyway.

I did see your post on Barton. Just sent you a PM.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 01:35:20 PM »
 :(  Snowing here, lightly and not sticking.  The rest of the week in the mid to low 30's nights in the teens-20's. 
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"