Author Topic: Just won a buncha tatting shuttles off ebay . . . .  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Just won a buncha tatting shuttles off ebay . . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »
That is so cool.  My step-mother is a big lace-maker, she does all sorts of tatting, and "hardanger" style lace-making. And I have sold a bunch of tatting books from the 1900-1930's myself, back when I used to do eBaying.  As for me, just tonight I took my first knitting class.  I'm nowhere near ready to try my hand at lace-making, you have impressed me.

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:08:02 PM »
Teresa, that's so neat that you know how to tat!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I used to knit and crochet, but never learned to tat.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:15:03 PM »
Teresa,
  I see the seller is from Kearney, Nebraska......about 3 hours west of me.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:31:21 AM »
You gals are so talented and domestic I'm envyious! I don't even know what tatting is? :D I guess I'm just more into hard labor stuff. Building, digging, fixing etc. I tried to learn to knit as a young woman but it just was to darn boreing for me then, now I wish I could!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:25:45 AM »
Barb that is so cool!  You'll either love it or hate it.  But to give knitting a fair chance, you have to knit a little bit (even just 10 minutes) every day until you get comfortable with it - otherwise, you'll forget how and get frustrated.

I've been a knitter all my life - it's something I am compelled to do.  I know how to crochet and sometimes crochet edges on knit pieces or crochet them together and every now and then even crochet a flower or something small, but not often.  I've had one of Mother's tatting shuttles in my knitting stuff for as long as I can remember and always wanted to learn how . . . . now I'm actually doing it, but slowly (hafta knit a bunch of cat costumes first).

My sister is much better at lace making than I am - she also makes bobbin lace which is really hard.

Here's a pic of a tatted snowflake . . . .

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:45:18 AM »
That is beautiful, Teresa! 

I think I'll start a thread to see how many knitters we have here, too.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 08:38:51 AM »
It is beautiful . . . . I can't do that yet, but maybe someday I'll be able to . . . . .

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 06:24:46 PM »
My grandmother on my mom's side did a LOT of that. Oh and to think that stuff we threw away when we cleaned her house out. Makes me sick.  :(

That snowflake is beautiful.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 06:59:43 PM »
My mom knitted and crocheted but I just can't seem to make sense out of taking a string and making a dress out of it.  She was also a quilter and I used to tease her about, what was the sense of buying new fabric, cutting it in pieces and then sewing the pieces back together.

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:46:36 PM »
I've got little collection of tatting, I get it from Salvation Arms shops, junk shops and garage sales. I think it's very pretty even though most of it is at the back of the linen cupboard!

Offline Eluned

• Members
  • With us since: 20/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 10:26:57 PM »
Cool - I love string things.  Tatting is a form of netting (I think) and I've always wanted to learn netting.  The spools for bobbin-lace work great for kumihimo.  I also know how to do sprang, small loom weaving, plus fingerloop braids, card-weaving and some other narrow band techniques.   Regular knitting never took, but I do a little crochet (hair nets and such), and just learned loom knitting.  Nalbinding is next on my list.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"