Author Topic: The wonders of digital recording (tivo)  (Read 1593 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
The wonders of digital recording (tivo)
« on: April 04, 2007, 10:37:52 AM »
I don't have Tivo but I have Comcast Cables digital recorder. LOVE IT. It is soooo great to record shows and watch when I want to and fast forward through commercials. So much easier than a VCR. Being able to set series recordings is great. I'm watching more TV though.....

I've been watching repeats of CSI, Law and Order and Star Trek Voyager because I never got to see them the first time around because my old job was late into the evening and on Saturdays and because Bob Bogarts the remote! I'm also recording a ton of garden and design shows and travel shows too.

Wonderful Discovery HD program on BC Canada was on last night, watched it this morning. Many things I haven't seen even though I've been to Victoria 9 times or so and Vancouver 4. Must go back.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The wonders of digital recording (tivo)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:20:04 AM »
I really enjoy Tivo !

I'm so used to fast forwarding thru the commericals though..

I usually watch tv in bed before I go to sleep, we don't have tivo in that room and I find myself wanting to click on the remote to fast forward! lol {:-P;;

We might be getting a 2 room tivo soon though which will take care of that!

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:39:44 PM »
We have DVR with our Dish Satellite, and I love it!   @O@

I just set it to record all episodes of the shows we want to watch, and then we can watch them whenever we feel like it.  It's so darn handy, I don't know how we ever got along without it.  I'm used to fast forwarding through the commercials, and get really irritated if I have to watch a show live and sit through the commercials.   ::)

I also love being able to pause a show or back it up when I want to.  We have a two room setup so the grandkids can watch cartoons downstairs while we're watching something else in the living room.

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:26:35 PM »
I wish I had time to do all that! :-\
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:52:22 PM »
It seems to me that those things allow one to watch more TV.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 08:28:15 PM »
It seems to me that those things allow one to watch more TV.

Steve

True to a point.. I watch more in the winter because can't enjoy my outdoor hobbies, less in the summer.

It actually saves time because you don't have to watch the darn commercials!

My usual is about an hour or so a night before I go to sleep because I've always been one that has to wind down before falling asleep.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 08:39:03 PM »
Sandye, we have the Dish with DVR too.

Steve, no I don't think it makes you watch more TV. More Quality TV- definitely! I have not timed anything, but a normal "one hour" show seems to be over in a flash.

We are currently recording Curious George (for our Matthew), Supernanny (same kid, different reason) Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" (great show!), the old Star Treks, "LowCarbCookworx", and "Lost In Space".
A corny and fun mix.

The very first thing we recorded was "Shawshank Redemption" with Morgan Freeman and What's-His-Name.
I will never delete that movie.  o(:-)

My only beef is that my DVR only lets me record 99 hours. I guess it's good, because it forces me to keep organized and DELETE.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:43:55 AM »
I'm old fashioned, I guess. I like my VCR. We had a cheap DVD recorder that was really confusing to use, it finally broke and I'm glad! I'm sure Tivo is easier to use, but I like being able to pull out a tape and hang onto it. I also like not paying a monthly fee - I'm cheap! (Leaves me more money to blow at the garden center!)
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 08:59:33 AM »
I can back up to a VHS tape if I want to keep a show but the ease of using the DVR is that I just bring up the TV guide and push a button on shows I want to record and I can go two weeks in advance. No setting timers or checking to make sure there is a tape in the machine. The picture quality is superior too. You can set it to record an entire series too. You can also record two and watch a saved show at the same time.

I watch recorded shows instead of live shows except for the dinner hour when Bob is flipping channels, something I hate with a passion. I watch one show during my lunch, otherwise all watching is right before bed. An hour show is more like 45 minutes with the commercials fast forwarded.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »
Hi, Karen...long time no see.  Of course Shawshank Redemption is a good movie.  It was written by my favorite author, Stephen King.  And the movie does do justice to the book.  O0

How old is your Matthew now?  I remember when he was just a little guy learning to walk.   :thinking:

I agree that DVR helps you watch more quality time, but not necessarily more TV.  I watch it for two or three hours each night with DH, but I only watch what I want...not just what happens to be on at the time.   

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 09:10:46 AM »
I am watching more TV because Bob always hogged the TV during the times that the shows I wanted to watch were on so by recording them I am watching them. However, I am watching less live TV so maybe it is even. I'm not watching TV during the day or at any time I didn't , except for a couple recent rainy weekends....
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Viv

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »
The first time I heard of Tivo was in an episode of Sex n the City, Miranda fell in love with hers. I loved that show!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 11:31:58 AM »
I bought the entire series of Sex and the City on DVD. I watch it over and over. I LOVE it. Only TV series I've ever purchased DVDs of.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"