Author Topic: Double Pride  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Double Pride
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »
What has to be one of my all time favorite lilies is starting its bloom....that being 'Charlie's Pride' developed by Mr. Charles Winch of Australia.

If there is a tropical day bloomer closer to red than this one, I have yet to see it.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Double Pride
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »
Hi Craig:

I wish I could see the lily in person.  I have admired it by photos though.

By photo it seems similar to Jack Wood or American Beauty.  The one I always thought was closer to red was Pat Nut's Antares.

Gary

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:15:25 PM »
Gorgeous!
Mary

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:17:56 AM »
That is just beautiful.

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 10:10:18 AM »
So when can I get one Craig???!!!???   Oh yes, and the SOS  as well ? {:-P;;

Paul  :)

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »
Hi Gary,

I have grown it along side Miami Rose, Larp Praesert, Jack Wood and Devin Madeiros and Charlie's Pride was always a shade or so darker than the others.  I would say the closest was Garet's 'Devin M.A. Madeiros' ( I hope I'm remembering that name correctly).  American Beauty I have never seen.

The other thing with 'Jack Wood' is that it was a brute of a lily with a fairly simple flower.  'Charlie's Pride' has better color, a more complex flower and a more refined growth habit.  I just like it much better...to be honest, at the end of last season, I composted the Jack Wood to make room for Charlie.

I don't know for sure just yet Paul, but maybe you want to have your people contact my people about CP.  As far as SOS is concerned...assuming you don't mean Star of Siam....lol, they don't leave here until I get my pink Midnight.<g>

Two flowers, so I thought a picture from two days was in order.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 05:14:09 PM »
I love Charlie's Pride so much but I couldnt get my one remaining tuber to sprout the last two years. I am hoping it will do something this year. In fact I would like to just have a whole pond of this lily. It's stunning.
This lily was unbleached by the sun for me so deeper than I have seen in other peoples photo's.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 06:06:32 PM »
You assume correctly Craig, and I anxiously await your successes with a pink Midnight.  Just curious though, does the name SOS have anything to do with a call for more serendipitous discovery?   Anyway, we here thank you for sharing the eye candy and we are delighted at the prospect of observing  your continued success as it unfolds.

Paul  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 08:29:06 AM by Koi Boi »

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 02:51:27 PM »
Well Paul, for hte kazillionth time I think I may be close to the pink Midnight.  The reverse of the pad is a deep pink as you can see and the bud....well it doesn't show well but it is as pinched as a Midnight.  My fear?  That it is a Midnight that is pink from hunger.<g>  I show it as a seedling ( there are two actually), but as I recycle soil, it is possible a missed Midnight tuber was in the mix.  I fed it to ward of the hungry pinks and now have to wait.

Lol....nope the  SOS name is a reflection of parentage.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
Craig, when I used to be cramped for space and more the novice than I am now, I enjoyed putting two or three Blue Beauty in a 15 inch pot and cram another 15 incher with two or three Albert Greenberg next to them and watch 'em go at each other.  Everyone at our local garden tours loved the mix each  year for several years...... but...... now I'm seeing two pots of midnight vying for space....lord....how exciting!!  It may not be here yet but you’ll find your pink Midnight  as sure as Edison found his filament. :teehee:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"