Author Topic: Lower Back Pain Recommendations?  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lower Back Pain Recommendations?
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:26:49 AM »
I threw my lower back out this morning while getting out of bed and now I can't stand upright and I look like a twisted pretzel as I shuffle about....  I noticed a few days ago that it was starting to give me signs of going out and today was the day....  I have scoliosis and my back goes out like this about twice a year and it generally takes 3-4 days of rest before it slips back into place. 

I like using those Thermal Care wraps because the heat always feels good on my lower back, however, a friend who also struggles with lower back problems suggests I apply cold packs to reduce inflammation and then alternate back and forth between the two. 

The fetching one swears by chiropractors and sees one regularly but I just don't believe in them due to a bad experience I had with one many years ago which led me to believe they were quacks. 

What works for y'all?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: Lower Back Pain Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:57:58 AM »
I have a similar problem Mike.

I use Robaxacet tablets for muscle and back pain. I am forever told that if I exercised my abdomen and lower back muscles I wouldn't have this recurring problem.

The Robaxacet works right away for the pain. I think I paid about $17.00 for Robax Platinum at the drug store. You might be able to find it a little less at a local Rite Aid or grocery store. It is an over the counter drug so easy to find.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:27:26 AM »
Your friend is right. Ice alternating with heat right after the injury to decrease the inflammation then heat for comfort and healing. A recliner with massage function is a good idea if this happens very often. A spa is even better. It's worth the cost. It's the best investment we ever made.

Offline Lorraine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »
I Use a heating pad and have some muscle relaxers. The pad seems to work well for me. I have tried the hot/ cold and it didn't help. You are right about the  chiropractors , waste of time w/ back pain. Hope you will be feeling better soon. Take it easy too! Watch some DVD's and rest.
Hugs
Lorraine

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
Demerol.  Failing that, ask you doctor for a prescription for Ultram.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:08:42 AM »
Well I'll put my $.02 in here. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my chiropractor. You just had a bad experience with a bad one. There are MANY good ones out there. I don't know what I would do without him.  o(:-) o(:-) o(:-)

Does your pain go down thru your butt cheek and down the leg? That would be your sacarillyac (sp.?) He fixes that up in no time. Then he suggest I THINK the order is Cold then Heat? Not sure. A day or so of soreness and it's all better.  @O@

Hope you're feeling better.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:27:17 AM »
I threw my lower back out this morning while getting out of bed and now I can't stand upright and I look like a twisted pretzel as I shuffle about....  I noticed a few days ago that it was starting to give me signs of going out and today was the day....  I have scoliosis and my back goes out like this about twice a year and it generally takes 3-4 days of rest before it slips back into place. 

I like using those Thermal Care wraps because the heat always feels good on my lower back, however, a friend who also struggles with lower back problems suggests I apply cold packs to reduce inflammation and then alternate back and forth between the two. 

The fetching one swears by chiropractors and sees one regularly but I just don't believe in them due to a bad experience I had with one many years ago which led me to believe they were quacks. 

What works for y'all?

I also swear by Chiropractors & I have had bad ones also. But I would have had to have had back surgery and lifelong problems if not for the chiro care and advice I recieved. And my son started developing scoliosis when he was very young and with regular aju. his back developed stright. Just be careful who you go to, I found a really good one though a friend. She told how good he was & the was I was going to really messed my back up once. I refused to go back to the quack again.

Offline Lorraine

• Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:54:04 AM »
Please don't think I was slamming the  chiropractor,it sounded like I was but not. I just didnt have any good results from them, I was telling Mikey what works for me. Pills and heating pad. Grant you it may not work for you, and who knows I may one day run into a really good DR. :) With all the pulling and tugging of our special needs son, back pain is a way of life. Hope you feel better soon Mikey.
Lorraine

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »
Mike I did look on Google, but no luck yet.
My wife uses a product called Backboard. It is hard plastic and she lies on it for 20 minutes and swears by it.  She has "sold" dozens.  I will seek particulars.

Many folks I respect love Chiropractors.  I played basketball for many years with many chiropractors.  i never heard an MD speak about their patients the way these guys did.
I'd get banned if I repeated the lewd comments.  Yes, I know the 5 or 6 that I knew were less than ethical.  i am sure there are good ones out there.
The few I went to were selling stuff as well as maintainence programs.  My gut feeling is that the field is replete with hustlers.  ONCE AGAIN, there are good ones out there!
Find a good one!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 01:08:13 PM »
I'm scared of chiropractors. Years ago I threw out my back playing volleyball and had some heat therapy sessions - some sort of ultrasound warmth thing. It usually made me fall asleep, which helped fine until I had to wake up and go back to work!

I had some back spasms years ago, brought on by a combination of being overweight and some severe family stress. I did some therapy exercises recommended by my GP, and they were boring but really helped. I also lost some weight which helped too (although it all came back eventually  :())

Make sure you have good shoes. I have found my back hurts much more when I've been on my feet all day. I'm a big fan of Crocs shoes - ugly and trendy but they make your feet feel like a million bucks and really reduce fatigue.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »
I totally agree with you on the Crocs Sheila! I haven't had back, knee, foot pain or blisters since I got my Crocs. I wear them everywhere. I bought the ones without the holes so I can wear them at the hospital I work at.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
I have also had back problems for years.  The chiropractors never really helped me much.  I have found that when I "throw" it out, if I immediately lay on the floor, knees bent, for as long as I can stand it, my recovery seems much shorter.  Don't understand it, but it works for me. 
Jerry, I am very interested in the Backboard you mentioned.

Karen

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 02:36:14 PM »
Karen, Mike, et al, here is what I found.  It is called "Wonder Track"  I found nothing on Goggle, but.  here is what I got off the back of the product.
 call  1 800-765-2258  or write to

Pacific Medical Products Inc.  Consumer relations. P.O. Box 18047 Encino Ca 91416-8047
The label said "Unconditional money Back guarantee"

Again, she swears by it and many of her lady friends have used it.  I think it was about 24.00

I hope the company still exists.
let us know how it goes.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 02:36:58 PM »
Cold packs for 10 minutes out of every hour the first 24 hours to reduce swelling and inflamation. After that heat for the same.

Chiropractors work fine for both Pete and I. We have even had them come to our house when Pete couldn't get off the floor for two days. But he wouldn't adjust him until he could move some.

After I get home tonight I'll try to find the exercises. What I remember is laying flat and lifting each leg one at a time and then both. Gotta strengthen the stomach muscles so they hold the back well. When you are able to stand it, then gentle slight reaching as far over with your arms and cross overs with your legs. But I have a brochure that I will scan and attach later.

Here's a quick link: http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/programs/lowback.html   and here's my disclaimer. I didn't have time to even look at it so don't know what it is.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 04:03:53 PM »
Mikey, Hot cold is good, and Excerise to strengthin your tummy and back mucles like Sean said. I worked with Physical Therapists as an aide for 10 years and those things really do work for long term help. Ibeprophin is good to get out the inflamation along with the cold packs.  I guess ya had to much on the wild side huh! Sorry I'm really sorry ya hurt. :hug:
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 07:41:51 PM »
Mikey,
I'm sorry. I know exactly how that is. I think the worst part is not knowing wether any 'simple' move will cause exquisite pain. I have slept on a board many a night. That was mostly when I was pregnant and huge.

I used to think all Chiropractors were quacks, but I've heard enough success stories that I can no longer believe so. I know people that have been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondilitis (sp?!) that have improved dramatically. My house contractor was "fixed" by a Chiro after being told that the back surgery for fused vertebra (or something like that...$$$$) may give him a 50/50 chance of being paralyzed. No gaurantees there!

I do not endorse Chiropractors at all. Never been to one. Nuff said! But I don't diss them anymore based on the above. I guess finding a good one is key.

A friend of mine swears by LOTS of rest, "Neptune Krill oil", and some 'Tumeric" thing. Google that. Might be worth looking into, judging from his amazing "testimony".

The only thing that has ever worked for me (but the only thing I've ever tried), is 100% bed rest and Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, etc). 100%!!! No moving around at all. All 9 hours of "Lord of the Rings" and whatever other LONG movies you can tolerate. It stinks, but it really does work (for some...).

I hope you feel better. :hug:
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 06:34:54 AM »
Sean, you stole my shoes!  ;D

I work as an interior plant care technician (aka the plant lady). So I'm on my feet all day. My daughter, who is big into shoes, got me a pair for Xmas and I figured I'd just wear them around the house since they were so ugly. Then I wore them to the mall and realized that my feet didn't hurt. Now I wear them for work every day. The bonus is that if I splash water on my feet, it rolls right off! I bought some ventilated ones for summer, if we ever have a summer.

I also wear them at home. I wear them instead of slippers. I wear them out doing errands. About the only place I don't wear them is church or a nice restaurant. And I'm thinking about getting the ballerina flats for standing during long choir concerts!

My plantar fasciitis is not acting up anymore either. They are really miracle shoes - and about $70 cheaper than the fancy athletic shoes I used to wear for work!

Offline Rog

• Members
  • With us since: 24/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 07:17:46 AM »
Ive been using my inverter everytime  my back starts to give me problems. So far it has helped for i have not taken any painkiller since i owned it.

Offline sheepie

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 07:53:50 AM »
The best thing I have found for my back is massage it helps losen up the muscles and the back seems to go back in place
Bessie

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 08:29:42 AM »
I have gone to a personal trainer at the hospital and gotten some back strengthening excersizes to do. It is suppossed to be a long term help.
Maybe 15 min a day.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 08:55:46 AM »
Another thing I forgot to mention is to use a back support when it is hurting. It helps support to the hurting area so you aren't so apt to hurt as much. I found the exercise brochure. Now I have to figure out a way to get it to you.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 10:14:30 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'll be experimenting over the coming months....years....  The fetching one couldn't find Robaxacet at the drugstore she went to.  We'll try others in town.  She has prescription muscle relaxers and I've tried those in the past without success......oops, there I go again living on the wild side.......

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 12:33:26 PM »
Mikey,

I don't have any tips other than the ones you've already been given, but I hope your back feels better soon.   :)

Hey guys and gals, about those Crocs shoes...do they make them in narrow?  The ones I've seen all look fairly wide, and I'm not sure if I could wear them.  Oh, heck, I guess I could just look them up.   :doh:

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 01:16:48 PM »
Sandye, the crocs only come in a medium width. I had the same concern as you. I have narrow feet too. They work just fine for me, however. If you read the web site, they are designed to fit loosely. One would think that your feet would be sloshing around, but they don't. The loose fit is comfortable without them falling off. Give a pair a try!

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 02:36:42 PM »
Mine are a bit bigger for my foot also but are so comfortable. I know a bunch of people who wear them with the ankle strap forward as a fashion statement. I wear it behind my ankle for comfort and so it doesn't fall off.

I have to say with these ugly shoes, they are comfortable from the very first time you try them on. No breaking in at all. They are made from an extruded medium density foam rubber so the whole thing is comfortable. They float too so great for the beach. Because I work in a hospital, I just wipe mine down from time to time with disinfectant wipes.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 04:45:18 PM »
wide is good for me. One foot is curved, and though smaller, needs  w i d e.
I will try them for sure.  I rarely have a shoe that doesn't hurt.  I have tried cowboy boots, but I limp by noon.  And that's no crock!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 10:49:18 PM »
Thanks Sheila (and Sean).  An endorsement from someone who actually has narrow feet is worth a lot more to me than any of the advertising the company might do.  I went to the Crocs website and I think I'll try the Cayman style which is listed as "a sleek and slender version of the beach." I think the light blue one is pretty.   :2thumbs:

I expected these shoes to be really expensive.  They're not much at all compared to what I usually have to pay to get narrow or slim shoes. 

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 08:10:41 AM »
I think the version I purchased without the holes is the most expensive they manufacture and I only paid $45.00 including tax for mine. I plan to get another pair with holes for the summer and the beach. They are much less, about $30.00.

I must attest that my back has been better since I started wearing these everywhere.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 08:29:37 AM »
I checked via Google, the Croc folks have a store right here at our big mall..  I will go today!

I own lots of shoes I can't wear.  My wife will be rolling her eyes over this one ::) ::)
Hey, hope springs eternal.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 09:53:50 AM »
After a two week vacation a couple of years ago where I only wore my Burkies I developed pain in the arch of my left foot.  I then quit wearing the Burkies as much and the pain went away.  I figured it was an arch support problem.  The fetching Mrs. Mikey had the same problem when she only wore her Burkies.  Several weeks ago I was wearing a cheap pair of sandals (I know, I know....) while dining out and I ended up going on an unplanned 3 mile walk which again aggravated the foot pain.  That pain didn't go away and was pretty intense for a while.  I figured out the pain was plantar fasciitis.  Recently I've been wearing an elastic arch support wrap and that seems to be alleviating the pain.  My change in gate due to the pain in my foot may also have aggravated my back condition...

I have duck feet....quack, quack....and I have a difficult time finding shoes wide enough.  Right now my most comfortable pair of shoes are Hush Puppies...shhhhhhhh.  I've never tried Crocs but I may take a test walk at a store near me....

Oh by the way, I'm kinda/sorta walking upright today.  I still have a hitch in my git-along but at least I'm mobile....sorta....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 08:34:21 PM by Mikey »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"