Author Topic: Please post some pond pictures for us in deprived zones!  (Read 9868 times)

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Please post some pond pictures for us in deprived zones!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 12:54:42 PM »
Those are all really beautiful!  I love seeing pics of other ponds for inspiration, too.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2007, 07:22:47 PM »
Ok today I took a pix of my spring color so far. It's the march Merry gold some heather and some Phlox. Merilyn PM me so I can find out what color you don't have.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 03:44:39 AM »
Looks good! I think I see some corkscrew rush too.
GREAT ROCKS!!
Kathy

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 04:32:53 AM »
Kathy, I love my rocks. I have toted them home frome every corner of Washington. I should have a bumper sticker that reads, I stop for rocks.Hehehe! My dh thinks I'm a bit nuts but I have toted everysicgel rock in and around the pond. :D
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 06:05:56 AM »
How gorgeous!  I am so lucky, our yard backs up to dozens and dozens of acres of woods.  Here in New England it's very rocky.  I got all my rocks from the woods when I built my pond.  This year I've been going into the woods and replacing many of them with nicer ones. 

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 06:25:43 AM »
Debbie,  I really like the way your pond looks!  O0  How long have you had the pink heather there?  Just wondering how it overwinters tucked in between the rocks?  I'm assuming it's growing in a soil pocket between the rocks.  I bought a couple pots of heather on impulse the other day.  {:-P;;  Not sure that they will overwinter without some protection in my yard but I'm going to give them a try.  emm

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 07:29:52 AM »
My smaller pond is just a small preform pond similar to the one that Tinkster received from her neighbor. It holds some small fish and has a small fall on it. Nothing special.
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 09:59:19 AM »
My smaller pond is just a small preform pond similar to the one that Tinkster received from her neighbor. It holds some small fish and has a small fall on it. Nothing special.

I have a small pond, small ponds are special to me.   o(:-)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 10:05:56 AM »
Oh you lucky gals and your FREE rocks!! There aren't many around here to be snagged for free. I got some from Northern Michigan, but can only fit a few in the car at a time. Last week we bought 2 good size rocks, not boulders by any means... and it was $35!! You would think they had diamonds in them for that price! YIKES!!
Kathy

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 05:11:59 PM »
Debbie,  I really like the way your pond looks!  O0  How long have you had the pink heather there?  Just wondering how it overwinters tucked in between the rocks?  I'm assuming it's growing in a soil pocket between the rocks.  I bought a couple pots of heather on impulse the other day.  {:-P;;  Not sure that they will overwinter without some protection in my yard but I'm going to give them a try.  emm

Hi emm, thank you. my heather is only on it's second season. I put them in last spring. That is a berm I had to make to get my leavel on a hill side. It has liner up and down both sides. I just cut a hole in the liner and plugged them in.Yes in the dirt. I'm border line here on zones, so for the most parts when we get to -10 it generally doesen't last long down here in the valley.My heather in the frount yard does real well so I thought it would look nice around the pond. So far I'm pleased. I just wanted to soften up the rocks a bit and not compleatly cover them up, and add a bit of color.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 06:33:03 PM »
I did not mean that in any negative way. It really gets neglected because it's big sister gets all the attention. She really needs to be cleaned up. Maybe I will attack it this weekend and get some pictures up.
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 03:50:07 AM »
El Jefe-
I don't think anyone took it that way. But we DO want to see pictures! :)
Kathy

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »
Here are a few I took this morning. some of my Daffodills and a different shot of the pond starting to show a bit of color around the banks.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 02:51:14 PM »
Oh Debbie! It's fabulous! What a great pond you have! You did a great job on that. Love the slope. What kind of daffs are those? I have some coming up by my pond, not blooming yet. they are so cheerful.
Kathy

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 04:21:14 PM »
Thanks Kathy, it's a work in progress. It has taken a long time to do and it's still not finished. $ and time. Oh if I could only win a lottory! Guess I have buy them to win tho huh? I ran out of rocks and I have to redo the top of the falls as I ran out of rocks. I filled it in Aug. of 05. I buy smal plants and have to wait for them to mature for my banks. This year I got lot of water plants from Lawanna that will be here in a week or so. her prices are so good I couldn't help myself. ( Love You Lawanna) But with as much surface as I have it will take a lot. I also got some Lotus from her John and Joyce. Got some chamamile from Kay. I don't have that out yet but and it sure is growing like crazy. So things should be looking better this year. The Daff's are some mini's that are triples. I hope to get a bunch dug this year and stick them around the pond edges. I licked out today and got some nice weather. I raked and burned the garden and now I'm pooped out. Sorry I got off topic and yappy! :redface:
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline luvmyasagis

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »
 O0 I love that looks great.
Have a blessed day

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 04:31:36 PM »
Debbie-

Oh if I only had the money for all the projects in my head!  ;D
Rocks are ridiculously priced over here. I bought two good sized ones last week....$35! Geez!
I think I may have lost alot of my plants over the winter. My hardy lillies in teh pond are sprouting o.k., but i store alot of others in a small shed and we had incredibly cold temps this year. usually they are sprouting in the shed by now, so far nothing. I'm trying to limit my purchases to things that can survive the winter here. It's too much to replace everything every year. Between the lillies and the water hyacinth I should have good coverage, it just may be a little boring this summer. I want to spend my $ on the bigger shrubs and trees for around the pond. AND OF COURSE MORE ROCKS! :-\
It was so nice here today, in the 60's and sunny, tomorrow is supposed to plummet again to the 40's and rain.
Kathy

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 04:42:42 PM »
I only get hardies also. But I have learned how to winter over tropical Lillies from Craig so I do want to try a few of them. I'm happy cuz my expierments are comming back even after the harsh long winter we had. @O@ I put some mini Iris and butter cups along the edges in just inches of water with rocks on them and they froze solid.It was great here too! I'm suprised since it was my day off.  ;D
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »
wooohoo that is beautiful!  I so need to pick your brainz :)  Your bank is as steep as mine and I am having  a horrible time planting things in it.  Am trying to get something on it to control erosion and weeds and that will look nice next to the waterfall.  What have you have the most success or would recommnd for me :)  I see quiet a few things looking really good on your bank. Also is your dirt mostly sand/sand rock?

tinkster

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2007, 04:50:48 PM »
I'll have to try overwintering some, maybe next year. I overwintered taro, that's easy. Just stick it in the basement and let it dry out. When it's warmer, plop it back in the pond and it grows.

I do have iris next to the falls in the water (in just rocks too), they froze solid but have nice green leaves now.

I'm sure i will end up buing some plants at the expo this weekend, if they have them out yet.

I figure I will treat myself to a GROWING LOTUS from the nursery since this is the third tuber that has met it's end in my hands. Maybe if it's already started it will ahve a chance.
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »
Siberian iris should grow there for you, they REALLY spread though.
I like sedum for a groundcover, they have interesting texture, come in lots of colors and shapes. really easy to grow. I dug someout of my garden last fall and tossed them in a pot bare root. Never threw them out all winter. They went through the horribly cold winter and are coming back without soil! I planted them around the pond yesterday.

What kind of conditions do you have? Shade or sun? Sandy or good soil? etc
Kathy

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
I have full sun then sand topping but just a few inches under that sand is sandrock and I have to pry it out with my spade bar to dig a hole.  Think it needs to be something with shallow roots as I can only get down so deep to amend the dirt. Its a nightmare .  I think I have some good ground covers going it just that I cant seem to get anything big growing there. shrubs etc.  Think they get down to the hard rock and just die??

tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2007, 05:33:16 PM »
wooohoo that is beautiful!  I so need to pick your brainz :)  Your bank is as steep as mine and I am having  a horrible time planting things in it.  Am trying to get something on it to control erosion and weeds and that will look nice next to the waterfall.  What have you have the most success or would recommnd for me :)  I see quiet a few things looking really good on your bank. Also is your dirt mostly sand/sand rock?

tinkster
Thanks Tink, Boy your really going to tax this tired old brain. So My dirt is good but it's mostly shail. So I have to remove a lot of that with each planting. It's full hot sun tell after 6 pm. then the NW corner gets some shade. I have several Sungold Threadbranch Cypress and between them some varigated oh Shi~ I cant remember it's name, It has hard leaves and spreads low and turns a nice pink and green in the fall. Then I have some Alyssum Mountion Gold,  A Japanese Painted fern and some Alaksan ferns and some reg ferns plugged in by the falls. I have some Veronica Waterperry blue,Different colors of Creeping Phlox. Creeping jenny. Vinka, and lots of Seedums all over. I have 3 or 4 colors of Those. I try to go for good ground covers that will spread nicely and hold the dirt. The shail is constently falling. Oh I have some snow in the summer too that is realy pretty. I know I said the S word. but they are nice. Up on the top part I have the Cypress and that one I can't remember, worm wood, and I can't remember what all. Also I make Moss milk shakes with butter milk and paint it every where a plant isn't, to hold the dirt. In fact that's what I was just doing.I brought some moss home from my doughters in Seattle but it probably is to hot here for it. Oh ya I have heathers placed all around to. I try to put the ground covers around the plants. As they grow I'm hopeing things will fill in and look a lot better. I'm sure I forgot some but thats a good start. I buy things hardy to zone 5-6 so I don't have to worry about our cold winter. I want to plug in some more rocks here and there too but kindof holding off till things grow more. A friend of mine in the local garden club maid this poem I like to barrow a lot for perinneals. First year sleepers, Second year Creepers, Third year leapers. So most of mine are creeping. I use a lot of Alaska Fish Fertalizer. The liquid kind, PEEUIEE! but it's good stuff. I can pour it right into the plant roots slowly  and not worry about it going into the pond. Well now that I have yapped your ear off I hope You got some good ideas you can use. Oh ya, Iris and siberian iris.
I have very shallow soil too. I use a pick to get threw it and amend all my soil.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2007, 06:07:29 PM »
THanks much!  Thats a good list for me to start with.. I just got 2 some type of gold mop cypress... Only managed to get one up on my bank though.  I just couldnd get deep enuff that I though it would live.  I wish I had dymanite :)

You said ferns in your pond.. will ferns grow in sun if there roots are wet?  I would love to do that to. 

tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »
Tink, I'm not sure? Mine are in the dirt. For my painted fern I made a bit of a cave with rocks for it to get in some shade.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »
Debbie, Your pond looks awesome O0 I love that, great job!! With all the talent in here we should pick a home to converge on and hook someone up!

Tink, There are some ferns that will tolerate full sun like cinnamon ferns, you may well enjoy those

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1176.htm
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:57:32 PM by El Jefe »

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2007, 06:53:09 PM »
I VOLUNTEER... converge on me :)  I am afraid most would faint at the DIY ways I did things :)

tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2007, 06:58:11 PM »
Thanks Andy. Like I said it's still a work in progress, and it will look better as the pond plants start comming on.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2007, 07:15:06 PM »
Feint? or is that Faint? still not likely.... Tink it is called being innovative with the resources at hand. From what I have seen so far, you have done great.

Andy

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2007, 11:12:57 PM »
We just got back to Cathedral City (next to Palm Springs), CA this weekend and I was happy to see my pond was doing really well and the fish were all happy and healthy.  The 3 koi have grown quickly, the Wakin are the same size but their color seems to be getting more red.  Some of them that were almost orange are now really, really red.  There were bad freezes here last winter, something like a 10 year freeze.  Still, most things are coming back.  Here's some pics.

The roses are all blooming.

The orange, lemon and tangerine trees are full of ripe fruit.

This is the little pond that we are going to completely redo this summer. Take out the preform, make it a little larger and deeper.

Here's some pics of my pond jewels.  This is Roy the first butterfly we got, he's blowing bubbles at me, you think it means he cares?

This is Pumpkin surrounded by Wakin.  We got him on Halloween last year his name was an easy decision.

This is Angel, the latest addition from last fall.  I'm so pleased that she is keeping her beautiful golden color. 

I'll take some pics of the main pond tomorrow.  I have done some cleaning up but still haven't gotten into it to repot the lilies or clean up the dead stuff, it's too cold for me.  Once the air temp gets to 100* I'll get in and clear things out.  I drained the skippy and replaced a couple of potted plants that died in the cold but other than that it is looking pretty good.  I'm really happy about that.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"