Author Topic: Late Season Hydrangeas . . . Old and New  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Late Season Hydrangeas . . . Old and New
« on: August 24, 2006, 07:14:35 AM »
They are both lovely . . . .

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Late Season Hydrangeas . . . Old and New
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 07:15:29 AM »
And a scarlet swamp mallow that just won't quit . . . .

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 07:45:15 AM »
Beautiful! Is your swamp mallow planted in the pond or in the ground? Mine doesn't do well in my pond. I may just plant the thing in the dirt if it will look like yours :)

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 07:59:58 AM »
It's in the pond, but the trick is that these guys like lots and lots of room for their roots.  It's in an absolutely huge pot . . . 16" across the top and 18 inches deep with holes.  I bought a tree for the yard several years ago and saved the pot - that's where my mallow lives.  There are holes in the bottom of the pot, as for most land plants, and the mallow's roots spread out thru those and down to the bottom of the pond.  I also looked at the marshes in Florida to see how they grew and they are usually near the edge of the water so their crown is at or less than 6" below the water's surface.  The top of my pot is actually about 2" above the surface, but the rest is in the water.   I don't think I've ever fertilized it - know I haven't done so in several years.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:22:22 AM »
Both your mallow and hydrangea are beautiful Teresa.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 11:18:38 AM »
Thanks for the info Teresa. So it might do well in a bog too. Yours is sure pretty.
 o(:-)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 12:58:04 PM »
Ooooh, I like those!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 07:22:27 AM »
Teresa, Love your flowers. Thanks for posting. Especially loved the Swamp Mallowand the instructions for growing. You mentioned you have observed them in Florida. I wondered if they would over winter in zone 5 or would need to be  treated as a tropical. Need something with color to make a dramatic statement in pond next year and thought this might work. thanks for the advice in advance. I an leaving for Chicago today for few days so might not get back to you for a few days. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 08:10:30 AM »
mcp - they won't survive outdoors much further north than zone 7 from what I've read.  But I have sent several to friends in Pennsylvania.  They just let them get knocked down by the first couple of frosts and then, when the plant is dormant, move it to somewhere where it won't get the worst of winter (the basement, the garage, etc).  Then when new shoots appear in the spring, they take them out again.  Since these grow each year from new shoots from the roots, you can cut each year's growth off when you store them.

Mine is about 9 or 10 feet tall, which makes picture taking a challenge.  But I do love looking out the bedroom window each morning to see it's lovely red blooms.  It's got more blooms open again today.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 03:12:34 AM »
Teresa, Hydrangeas are growing all over New England, from Kennebunkport, down to CT, and RI (LOTS in Newport of all kinds)...all over the place. Rooftop gardens in NYC too. So I would say they are hardy down to a zone 6 at least.
I betcha some cultivars are even hardier. And of course, some aren't.

Have you tried 'Pia' hydrangeas yet?
They are dwarfs, and get about 24" x 24" when full grown.
Mine gets a lot of shade so it is sprawling at about 30" right now.
Can send you some cuttings if you want to try rooting some.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 07:42:57 AM »
I should have clarified - it's the swamp mallow that's not hardy past zone 7.  A lot of hibiscus are hardier as well. 

I haven't tried pia yet and I'd like to - just haven't gone out and bought any new plants in such a long time.

Offline Monica

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 06:13:47 AM »
How would you root a cutting of a hydrangea?  I have recently fell in love with them and I would love to get cuttings of them.  Do you just cut it and put it in a root stimulator or what?
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 06:14:39 AM »
Teresa what is that first hydrangea?  I love its color.  I may need to get one like that.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Viv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 02:42:31 AM »
I love Hydrangeas, they are a great for a shady garden. Mine is white but I wish it was blue.

I wish the Swamp Mallow that suddenly appeared would flower, my mother is convinced it is illegal.

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 05:43:03 AM »
I wish the Swamp Mallow that suddenly appeared would flower, my mother is convinced it is illegal.
lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 05:45:21 AM »
Monica the best way to root hydrangea cuttings is to bend a branch to the ground and put a brick on it.  It will root where the wood hits the ground, but it takes a while.  We have lots of little volunteers that start that way - DH has to thin them every couple of years and he always plants the volunteers in the upper part of the backyard.  Soon it will be nothing but hydrangeas . . . .

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »
I have a plant Abelmoschus rugosus ?Oriental Red" that looks to me to be the same as your Swamp Mallow.....except mine isn't nearly as big.  Are they one and the same?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"