Author Topic: raising wakin goldfish  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Critterkeeper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
raising wakin goldfish
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:00:45 AM »
Hi all,
I have, finally, by using a spawning mop got some eggs that have hatched from my wakins.  @O@ Anyone have any tips or hints on raising many goldfish at a time? Right now I have them in about 3-4" of water with a sponge filter. I still have the spawning mop in with them (they are about 4 days old). I am feeding them hikari first bites three times a day. I do a small water change every day, with a turkey baster, and replace the water with filtered pond water from the adults tank. They are eating and swimming, so tiny! Any suggestions?

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: raising wakin goldfish
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:10:04 AM »
When I had my batch of Wakin's.  I had them in a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter.  I had it filled all the way up.  Its hard to do partials, but it can be done very carefully. 

Then I had a second tank set up for the ones that grew faster than the others.  (Tobies) its the bigger baby that will eat its siblings.  I have a great pic of one I caught in the act. 

What helped me so much was my MIL gave me a tank that was long with dividers, she called it a breeding tank for Betta's.  I don't know about that, but I do know that it helped me keep them separated.  So you may end up with even another tank set up.  On that tank I just ran air stones and kept it partialed.  I did it about once a week.

Food wise, I went and got some frozen baby brine shrimp.  It worked great.  I would take the piece and cut into 4 pieces, put it in a glass with a little tank water and let it dissolve.  (I would do this about 3 times a day.)  Then pour it in.  They grew great on it.  Then later when they got to be about 1/2 inch I started giving them finely crushed flake food, and regular sized frozen shrimp.  The sponge filter also helps feed them, the food gets stuck to it, even though we don't see it but they do.  Its funny looking at all of them huddled over on the sponge.

Good luck with your babies, and I hope I helped a little.  Wait to you see their little tails, its amazing so small and you can already tell they're Wakin's.  You'll be able to spot this at about a quarter of a inch.  Its so cute.

Kimberly
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:52:02 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 05:32:52 PM »
Thanks, that does help. I thought about giving them brine shrimp, but wasn't sure they would be able to eat it. Now I will give it a shot. I can't wait to see their tails! I keep thinking I should get a magnifying glass so I can see them. I didn't think about some of them growing faster and eating others, but it makes sense. I'm glad you mentioned it. I will keep an eye out for the "biggies", and move them when necessary. Thanks again. I appreciate it.  :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 06:51:06 PM »
Just when you go to get the brine shrimp, get the baby brine shrimp its smaller.

Kim

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:02:10 AM »
If you do not see that split tail in about 3 weeks then cull the single tails out (I put them in with the adults for snacks). Then the double tails will grow even faster.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36:55 AM »
How cool, I would love to see pics!   o(:-)

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 04:29:03 AM »
Hi,
I'll attempt to take some pictures. They are so tiny. I've been trying to see their tails every day, actually, multiple times a day, I check. They are about a week and a half old now, so I guess it will take another week or so. Hindsight being what it is; I wished I'd put them in a larger container that I could just raise the water level on. I'm going to have to move them in a week or so. It's hard to even do a water change when they are so small. I can't imagine trying to move them. This is a very fun, learning experience!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 07:06:43 AM »
Have fun with your babies.

Two years ago we had leopard frog tadpoles is a mini tub.  I was adding water from the pond.  I thought we had skeeters.  Come to find out it was fry.  Even DH had a blast that summer watching the tadpoles and fry grow.

I hope they eat all of the fry this year.  We had about 100 last fall when we fished them out to give away.  We kept a select few.  The biggest of those were spawning yesterday along with the 2 year olds.  Here we go again.

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »
Here is a picture of my babies! Not a great one. They are so tiny. I can see the tails now, how cool! Can you tell I'm excited?

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 06:39:25 PM »
  So When is baby season?
  From another post, I'm guessing it is soon!
   I go out and Hang with my fishes to settle myself down and deal with medical things! Love my fishies! They love me also!
   I've noticed a lot of chasing around!  (the little guy seems to be in charge!)
  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 05:49:36 PM »
I am on the kansas/ Mo. border and my pond is full of wakin eggs. I went to get a bucket of pond water yesterday and it had 7 babies in the bucket. I could already see a split tail on one.  lol They have been busy  8-)~

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 12:58:56 PM »
Wow, they are really small! 

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 02:48:42 PM »
Well, how are they?  Isn't fun to just sit and watch them.  When you have the lights off in the room your in, turn off any light on the tank and take a flash light and shine on the end.  They will flock to it.

Kim

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 03:37:02 PM »
The babies are growing! So cute! So far I haven't seen any that don't have the split tail. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all these fish if they all live. I am a member of a local pond club, and as far as I know, no one else has wakins. So maybe I'll be able to find homes for some that way. They are more aggressive with their eating now. I put a glob of string algae in from the outdoor pond and they love it. Lots of little natural things for them to eat, I guess. When it warms up a little more I plan to move them outside to a 150 gallon stock tank. Hopefully they will grow a little faster that way.  o(

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 10:06:04 AM »
That's great that they are doing so well.   o(:-)

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 03:11:59 PM »
I had been looking for Wakins, with no success, but then found one quite by accident in a tank with Sarasota Comets at the local Petsmart. :o
His size and color (predominetly white, with red cap) was near the same as his tank-mate comets, so I'm guessing he was sent along by accident? He's not very big, only about 3", so I put him in my 30 gallon tank, rather than chance putting him in the pond with the big boys. I have not ever seen them for sale here in this part of Michigan (south/east), so I was quite excited to bring him home for only 5.99.  :D
If anyone knows where I can find him some reasonably priced friends, I'd appreciate the info!
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 05:08:52 AM »
Hey,
Whereabouts in Michigan are you? I am in MI also and I have lots of Wakin babies. They are very tiny at this point, but they are growing. You are right. They are impossible to find anywhere around here. I have on occasion found them at Apol's Landscape in Caledonia, MI.

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 07:47:27 AM »
I'm in Grand Blanc (Home of the Buick Open  ;) ) - which is just south of Flint, and about an hour north of Detroit. Don't think I have heard of Caledonia, maybe I will look it up on Mapquest. Where about in MI are you?
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 03:39:43 PM »
I am in Eaton Rapids, which is southwest of Lansing. Caledonia is about an hour west of me. Nice to talk to other Michiganders!

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 09:32:08 PM »
How's those babies doing?  Any recent pics?

Kim

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 05:13:53 AM »
They are doing great! Still small, maybe 3/4 to an inch long. No color has developed yet. I have them all outside in a 150 horse trough. I find it very hard to get a decent picture of them. But I shall keep trying.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"