Author Topic: What type of tank gets hottest?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What type of tank gets hottest?
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:00:19 AM »
Still trying to decide on the material for another above ground lilypond. I've looked into metal stock tanks, wood with liner like Sean's tutorial, black preforms, and black fiberglass.

Need an opinion (based either on scientific understanding or personal experience) about which would get hottest in the summer sun and which would hold the heat the best. The goal here is hot water for tropical lilies.

I've used a 300 gallon shiny metal stocktank for years and that gets nice and warm in the sun, and the tropicals love it. But I need MORE SPACE now (don't we all?!). Help!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What type of tank gets hottest?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 05:42:09 PM »
A hot water heater would be the hottest tank. lol

The black plastic would get hotter, maybe to hot. The metal stock tank would get hot enough and wouldn't cool off to quick but would stay within range for trops.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 07:51:34 PM »
After filling with well water, it only takes two or three days in full sun to get this 8500 gallons up to 75 or 80 degrees and ready to receive my tropicals without setting them back.   The liner is 45mil EPDM and the frame is simple landscape timbers pinned together with 3/8 inch rebar.  It's 25 feet across (side to side) and 27 feet across (point to point).  It won't keep predators from getting your fish because it is too shallow but I wanted it to heat up quickly thus the reason it is only two feet deep.   Keep in mind though, it will cool down quickly at the end of the season as well.  I have only grown tropical lilies since 1994, which was when I abandoned hardies.   

Paul  :)

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:01:37 PM »
Paul, that is breathtaking! Nice Victoria in there - did you get any blooms? I can't build something that big in my small backyard - I wish I could, but 8 to 12 feet across is probably all I can fit.

Scott, hot water heater - good one!  ;D Guess I hadn't considered ALL the options!

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:21:29 PM »
Hi Paul, I am new to growing waterlilies, so I am curious about why you abandoned hardies.
Dave (SE Michigan, zone 6)

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 06:40:26 AM »
Everything gets hot here, so that isn't too much of a concern.   Most of the tanks I have are those big blue ones...and I think they are "butt ugly".   I also have some black ones that are stock tanks, and I like them better.   I got a bunch of black pots that supplement feed for cows came in, and I like them too.   I use them for mini lilies.   Here's a pic of one, made out in the pasture, when I went to pick them up.

Offline Marilyn C

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:44:26 AM »
Nice pond, Paul!

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 06:07:49 PM »
Paul that is beautiful.

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 06:44:56 PM »
Marilyn, our farm store sells the big blue tanks, but I also think they are "butt ugly" and can't quite bring myself to do that to my neighbors. If I were as secluded as you are, I'd do it in a heartbeat! I might buy a black one like that but they don't carry them.

BTW, it's great to have you back on the forum again.

Offline Marilyn C

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 07:17:06 AM »
Thanks, Sheila. 

You might get one and paint it black.   I dunno.   They are ugly, but like you say, I don't have neighbors. ;)   Still, I try to congregate them out of the way, altho I am moving them now...but will probably move them again eventually.

A bait stand went out of business and my husband bought all the tanks for me.   Several small black ones, some big blue ones, and some small blue ones, and one huge fiberglass one that is about 4' deep that I have no idea what I will use it for.   I kept my koi in it for a few days while I was getting ready to haul them to their new home.    Almost all of these have had bottom drains put in, even the smallest ones, which is pretty useless to me, but I just capped them off.   One of the black ones was painted white inside so the bait fish would show up.   It's pretty much all peeled off.

Actually, I think the type of pond that Paul has, and Sean, too, are the best.   They are attractive, above ground, so they are easy to manage lilies.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »
Koi Boi, isn't there a post on one of the forums for your construction? Remind me where it is. I might be building one similar to it if we get this property. The driveway will go around it in front of the house.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 06:05:24 PM »
Oh very nice Paul. Are there chairs, and perhaps a minibar, up close somewhere, just cut out of the pic?

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 12:28:26 AM »
I wish Mike...don't forget the sound system!

Scott, it's crude but maybe this'll help.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:56:34 AM by Koi Boi »

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 12:53:27 AM »
Sorry it takes so long for me to answer but it is a busy time of year for me.

Dave in Michigan,  I like hardy lilies....I just don't grow them.  I'm lucky enough that the temps here are very warm.......well......er..uh....pretty darn hot July and August Even an occasional 110 in June so the tropical lilies do very well here.  I have pictures of a Foxfire with singed blooms from a 112 degree day last summer but no harm to the lily.  I like the color choices that hardies can't touch.  Tropicals tend to bloom right up to frost here, yet hardies tend to slow down or stop blooming around the first of September here.  I think tropicals out perform hardies in every way but one.......survive winter.... :teehee:

Sheila, here's a few pics....I never  could catch the first day fully open, I was either too early or too late.

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 06:03:04 AM »
Cool photos! How lucky you are to grow one of those! Thanks for the building instructions too. Looks a little beyond my building skills (most things are!). But it's very attractive and looks very sturdy. I wish my dh were more handy.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 02:43:50 PM »
That is one cool pond! I like it! O0 The victoria is certainly happy in it.

I find that the poly tanks get warmer than the galvanized tanks. The water in my poly tanks will be warm all the way from top to bottom. The galvanized tanks will have more layered temps with a layer of cool water at the bottom.

The butt ugly blue tanks also come in dark green. Not quite as butt ugly. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 04:39:53 PM »
Koi Boi did you raise the victoria from seed yourself. If you did please tell us how.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 04:51:30 PM »
So kiddie pools don't cut it?  :D 

Love your pond Koi Boi and thank you so much for the building instructions.  Looks like a keeper!!

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 11:00:23 PM »
They work for me!!
Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"