Author Topic: My tadpole is growing sooooo fast....  (Read 951 times)

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My tadpole is growing sooooo fast....
« on: April 17, 2007, 01:42:43 PM »
it's almost unbelievable!   :o  I don't think I've ever had a critter of any kind that grew as fast as this little guy is.

When four of my grandsons were here March 24, they went down to the farm pond, armed with buckets and old spoons to see what they could find or dig up.  MDBB brought me a little tadpole in some pond water.  It was a normal sized little tadpole, maybe an eighth of an inch across.   He is now 2-2½ inches long and his body is at least 3/4" long and 1/2" wide...he's a little hard to measure since he doesn't hold still.  Since he's obviously a bullfrog tadpole, I'm not sure how big he's going to get before he gets his legs.   :thinking:

I'm feeding him boiled lettuce, and he puts out so much waste that I have to change his water every two or three days.   

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My tadpole is growing sooooo fast....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »
If he's really a bully tadpole, he won't be getting arms and legs this year . . . . they usually take two seasons.  But if he was that small when the boys got him, he's most likely NOT a bullfrog.  Keep watching him . . . usually takes between 6 and 12 weeks for most of them to turn into frogs and if he starts to show little bitty backlegs at the base of his tail, he'll turn this season . . . .

Also, if he's a bullfrog, he needs protien . . . try smushing some pond snails and tossing those in with him . . .

Offline Sandye

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 05:55:27 PM »
Thanks, Teresa, I'll see if I can find some pond snails to "smush."  &-)  :o

I'm not sure if I made it clear...the tadpole was about 1/8" across his little round body...not body and tail combined.  Are bullfrog tadpoles never that small? 

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 05:57:54 PM »
Most of the ones that I've hatched were at least 1/4" wide when they hatched . . . they come from some good sized eggs . . . .

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »
Wow!  I didn't realize the bullfrog eggs were that big.  Maybe my little guy will turn out to be a green frog.   I hope he is so that he will morph this season.  :2thumbs:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"