Author Topic: Lotus in the desert  (Read 651 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Lotus in the desert
« on: April 17, 2007, 07:19:22 PM »
Anyone grown a lotus in the desert?  Do the leaves fry in the summer heat? Can they make it in full sun?  Do they still go dormant in the winter or can they keep growing all year?

I've got one coming and I bought a half barrel liner today and some steer manure compost so I think I'm ready to plant it.  Now I'm worried that the dogs will eat it though, I'm sure the steer manure will be an attractant.

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus in the desert
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:41:17 PM »
My lotus didn't start putting on serious growth last year until we had record breaking heat—around 100*

If you can find some time release fertilizer like Osmocote add that to the mix. The soil doesn't need to be really deep nor does the water. Hopefully the water will keep the dogs from eating the manure—if it's well composted that should work, but dogs? Who knows.... You could put a screen mesh over the top till the lotus grows to that point.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"