Author Topic: An unusual Ebay question  (Read 1510 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
An unusual Ebay question
« on: April 18, 2007, 04:09:57 PM »
A few days ago, I bought a "Buy it Now" lot of Lego parts. I promptly paid 3.99 for the item, with FREE shipping.

I got the box today, and it was a lovely little collection of people ("minifigs"), hats, body pieces, helmets, treasure chests, accessories, and assorted specialty pieces. Little Matthew and I literally spent hours just playing with this little set.

The poor bloke paid 5.70 to ship this box. Of course, he also has the listing fee and the final value fee to pay.

I feel really bad about this, and would like to at least pay the difference in shipping. Should I?
My hubby Kevin says no- it was his mistake, live & learn, I paid what was asked. That seems mean to me.

What do you think?

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: An unusual Ebay question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »
I think you should do whatever you think you should do. If it would make you feel better about the situation then go ahead.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:20:12 PM »
I think your heart is in the right place.  We all make mistakes and it appears he made one.  I don't think it's right to take advantage of someone's mistake in this case.  I suggest contacting him and see what his response is.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 04:22:07 PM »
Mikey & Esther are right . . . email him and ask him . . . .

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »
ALL good answers to me!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 05:52:50 PM »
I'm with Kevin, his mistake and the next time he sells something, he'll probably charge too much for shipping. It will all work out in the end.
But, your heart is in the right place o(:-) and Kevin is just plain mean @O@

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Shawn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
I messed up once by not specifying lower 48... had someone from Alaska order something and it definitely increased the shipping... She automatically sent me the difference, for which I was grateful!! However, I was ready to bite the bullet as well!!

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 07:19:43 PM »
I have a situation where I accidentally sent an order to someone who had asked about ordering, sounded like she would but when I sent the paypal request she didn't pay it..and I didn't check closely enough  and sent her the order. 

Nope, haven't gotten paid.  I did ask if she would, or let me send a call tag to get it back..no response..so I eat it and I wish it was just $5.70 in shipping! 

Of course she'd better not try to order again either...Hope her doggie or kitty REALLY likes it  ::)

Mary

Mary

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 07:47:59 PM »
I have a situation where I accidentally sent an order to someone who had asked about ordering, sounded like she would but when I sent the paypal request she didn't pay it..and I didn't check closely enough  and sent her the order. 

Nope, haven't gotten paid.  I did ask if she would, or let me send a call tag to get it back..no response..so I eat it and I wish it was just $5.70 in shipping! 

Of course she'd better not try to order again either...Hope her doggie or kitty REALLY likes it  ::)

Mary

Oh do I know what you mean!  "Checking Closely" is something we've learned the hard way. Even after all these years! Sometimes we do overlook something and it ends up burning us. I still have items sitting on my shelf from folks who never paid. I once sent a beautiful mat of watercress to someone (at least 25 individual plants) who kept stringing me along...THREE times! It just about wiped me out of Watercress for the season... ugh.

I recently bought 2 lots of Legos and was promised combined shipping- turns out that the seller was so rude and unprofessional that I just paid the outrageous shipping charges. I wanted them too much, I guess.

But as nasty as some people are, I want to reward the people who are doing it right. This guy is a relatively new seller (200 +/-). Has a lot to learn, but a couple extra bucks from me is no big deal.

I will shoot this seller a quick email.  :)

Thanks all! I guess I did know in my heart the right thing... just being corrupted by my "mean" & hardened hubby.  ;) ;D Ripped off one to many times, I suppose.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 04:54:09 AM »
I think an email was very nice of you, that's what I would have done.   O0

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 08:03:35 AM »
Good girl. You will leave a warm spot in his memory, of your transaction.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"