Author Topic: My Dad's legacy  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My Dad's legacy
« on: April 18, 2007, 04:19:56 PM »
or my inheritance . . . .

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Dad's legacy
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 04:20:46 PM »
can't walk anywhere in the gardens without running into his things . . . .

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
I really like the ducks.  Are they brass?

On a more personal note, has there been any healing in the family since his passing?  And whatever became of that psycho who is the wife of your husbands best friend?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 04:39:32 PM »
Aw Teresa, how sweet.  I really like the ones with the funny faces!  Obviously it's not the same as having him here, but it keeps you thinking fond memories of him I'll bet, and what could be better? o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »
What a wonderful reminder of him Teresa. Things to cherish for a long time to come..

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 04:47:09 PM »
WAYYYYY cool! O0
Especially like the 2 legged 3 horned doglike animal. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 05:23:51 PM »
What a nice way to remember him.  :)

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »
I agree, what a great legacy. You will always have those around and think of him when you're in the garden.
The bird house is cool 8)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 05:49:25 PM »
They are all beautiful. I'm very sorry about your Dad.  :hug:
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 06:04:25 PM »
I really like the ducks.  Are they brass?

On a more personal note, has there been any healing in the family since his passing?  And whatever became of that psycho who is the wife of your husbands best friend?

The ducks, chicks and eggs are all brass, as are the cranes.  The cranes caused a bit of a stir because my youngest sister said that she was supposed to get them.  (She was supposed to get everything else too, to hear her tell.)  But Dad told me that he wanted them by a pond and that either me or my brother who runs a pond shop should take them.  I asked brother for them because he got all the garden trains and Dad offered them to me years ago when I started taking care of his ponds so he didn't have to - there wasn't any discussion, brother said I should have them. 

The six children are firmly fractured into two groups, one group of two sisters and another group of four (two sisters and two brothers).  The two sisters who are in the splinter group did not have anything to do with anyone else even before this all happened - other than the occasional late night, drunken call to some sibling telling them off for some crime they committed sometime in the past . . . . they hadn't spoken to me in at least 10 years and there was no precipitating event, so that's just how they are.  The four siblings in the group I am in have become extremely close - closer than ever, in fact - since this began.  Three of us used to meet online every Monday night for a Bible study chat led by my oldest brother, but when he was forced to move and change jobs that sorta fell off and while we still maintained contact, it wasn't as regular or as close as it is now.  And the second brother was never part of it, he was sort of off on his own and it's nice that he's back in the family now - Dad spoke about how he wanted that because he felt that this brother was outside the family because of him.  The two sisters in the outside group have behaved badly throughout this entire year and all the trials and tribulations and are still behaving badly now . . . . even Mother is dissappointed and hurt by their actions and doesn't want to see them.

Mother has recovered better than any of us expected.  This has been absolutely horrible for her . . . she not only lost her husband of 60+ years, she lost her home and her financial security (tho that's being recovered).  She's never had to take care of anything herself - like insurance, bills, money, housing, etc - and so now I take care of everything that Dad took care of for her for their lifetime.  But at least we aren't worried about her following him immediately . . . . we were for quite a while.

The psycho is still in Saudi Arabia and she'll be staying there for quite a while.  She tried to come and stay here for a couple of months in the fall and I stood up and said "No."   

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 06:09:34 PM by Teresa »

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:07:11 PM »
WAYYYYY cool! O0
Especially like the 2 legged 3 horned doglike animal. 8)

We've always called that the goat gargoyle.  Steve found it and we bought it and gave it to Dad many years ago.  He collected gargoyles for his garden and I gave him many of them - his collection was huge, but the two evil sisters stole most of them after he died.  Mom collected angels and we gave her many of those too.  Mom and my siblings always thought the Goat looked just like Dad . . . it's one of her favorites and she wanted it here for safekeeping.  I wanted it because it was one of his favorites . . . he put it just outside the door to his little office/house.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 06:10:20 PM »
They are all beautiful. I'm very sorry about your Dad.  :hug:

Thanks . . . the fall and winter were very difficult for me.  I wasn't here much.

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »
Really nice artwork. I'm sorry about your dad. It's good that you are able to help out your mother.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 11:07:37 AM »
Teresa,

I'm sorry about your Dad.  I didn't know.   :(  I'm glad your Mom is doing better.  You all will have my prayers.   o(:-)

I love your new yard art...especially the bird feeder.   :)  I'm glad you have them now to remember him by.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 05:43:38 PM »
Teresa, it is nice that you ended up getting the yard ornaments that belonged to your dad. You are finally having some good experiences and making some more good memories.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 06:02:12 PM »
Theresa, I'm glad to hear you and your family are recovering from your loss. I think it's cool that most of the siblings are together and close. My dh's family was very close untill his mom passed several years ago. The 6 kids went balistic and started fightting. Non of them are as close as they were but it's getting better. You have some wonderful treasueres there of him.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 07:17:28 AM »
Teresa,

Your dad had a strange taste in yard art.  But, then, so do I.  I love the pieces you inherited, and I am certain they will bring you many hours of joy and remembrance of your Dad. 

Family, family family!  They always say blood is thicker.. but blood can also be hateful.  You want to know how a family really relates? Wait until someone dies and watch the  games begin.  I have two sisters.  My parents named me as power of attorney executor of their estates.   When my mother and father went to a nursing home one of my sisters ransacked their house.  Some items, specifically given to my parents by me and my wife, were never found.

You can just never predict behavior in these instances, you can only try to forgive.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 04:28:59 AM »
I'm sorry about your dad, and the family difficulties.  It is nice to have the yard art to remember him by, and the cranes will look nice by your pond.   :hug:

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 07:08:31 PM »
Teresa, Cool pieces, looks like your Dad was a bit of a character.  O0 I lost mine in 97 and my siblings immeadiately  severed ties with me for any number of reasons if you ask them. Bottom line I came home from overseas deployment and I was with him from his last lucid moments to his last breath. They were unable to come any earlier and I think that there was some jealousy there. it shredded what little relationship I had with them. My Dad would not want that so I did the only thing I knew. I extended grace to them and I dropped that burden. They can carry it if they want but I will not lug that around anymore. Sorry for your loss. Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"