Author Topic: My Passifloras  (Read 1879 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My Passifloras
« on: April 19, 2007, 05:46:18 PM »
On a visit to L.A., Sean saw some Passiflora Belotii in a local nursery, and made me get four. I ejoyed these vines from the get-go, and later I (inadvertantly) intercepted a package of a number of types Teresa sent to Sean, and became the lucky recipient by default.

The first pic I forget the name of. Sean bought a passion fuit at the farmer's market in Vancouver, then did what people do with seeds to make them into viable planting material for idiots, and sent me some.

2nd - P. Caerulea. Common, but still among my favourites

3rd - P. Belotii

4th - P. Lady Margaret

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline MikeW

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Passifloras
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 05:47:57 PM »
1st - P. Blue Bouquet

2nd - P. Citrina

3rd - P. Quadrangularis (sp?)

4th - P. Vitifolia

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 11:03:34 PM »
I've never tried to do cuttings of my vines. That's probably why I've lost a couple. Mike do you ever take cuttings? If so I might be interested in getting a few from you.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 05:59:32 AM »
Tim -
Yes and no.
I am currently attempting it for the first time, with the Vitifolia. I am trying to get a viable cutting to Teresa, and if this lot works, will be happy to send to you as well.

I don't want to promise anything just yet, because usually when I try this type of stuff, I end up with dead twigs pretty fast. This is a pic of cuttings in water, and this weekend will do the rooting hormone and potting up thing. Also I wave a dead chicken, do a rain dance, and fast for four hours, just so nothing is overlooked.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 06:08:17 AM »
I've never rooted passiflora, but my general approach for tropicals is to dip the ends in Rootone, put them in pots with a moistened mix of 50/50 perlite and vermiculite, put a plastic humidity dome over them, and stick them under shop lights in my warm grow room. I pretty much ignore them - check moisture every few weeks, but rarely need to add any. I usually start seeing new growth within 3 weeks to 3 months. Spring or summer cuttings go faster than fall or winter.

I also learned that is helps a LOT if you only leave on the top two leaves, and if they are large, cut them with a scissors into little "mickey mouse ears". This reduces the amount of moisture loss from transpiration so the cuttings don't wilt.

If you don't have a grow room, I would suggest a warm room with moderate to bright light but NO direct sun (will fry everything under the dome).

Good luck!

I've got a P. caerulea on order that should arrive soon. I grew it a few years ago and it was stunning but didn't overwinter in my lovely clay soil.  :(
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 06:14:37 AM »
Mike, don't be discouraged if they don't root - vitifolia is one of the hardest passiflora to root out there . . . . (at least by my experience).  I've never been able to get it to root in water and only rarely in anything else.  Sheila's advice is right on tho . . . . that's the way to do it but DON'T forget the plastic dome to hold in humidity.

I think your first passiflora pic is p. edulis.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 12:36:02 AM »
Those blooms just amaze me.  They're just so unique, and beautiful.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 06:06:10 AM »
WOW sums it up!

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »
Well  I could not stand it. I went an bought Lady Margaret today. LOL

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 06:07:05 PM »
Where did you find it Vickie?  She's an awfully pretty one and a good bloomer!

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 05:42:44 AM »
I found it in a huge greenhouse an about 25 minutes from where I live. I had to pay $35 but it was a nice sized plant. I saw it online but it was $15 plus $15 shipping. And this plant is much bigger. I am going to try and take cuttings in case I loose it. I would like a back up. LOL

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »
Mike,
They are all stunning, but the red vitifolia is absolutely gorgeous!  I never have enough true red in my garden, I'm going to try and change that this year.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"