Author Topic: Cut & Hold Telescopic Pruner  (Read 955 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Cut & Hold Telescopic Pruner
« on: April 21, 2007, 05:21:42 PM »
I almost got out of a local plant sale having only spent about 30 bucks when I spied this cool cut & hold pruner that telescopes from 4' to to 6 1/2 feet.  Hmmmmmmmmm, no more wading to prune.......  Actually I already had John Johns homemade pvc pruner but I thought this would be a nice improvement.  It not only cuts the lily pad/flower cleanly but it also holds onto the cut stem so it can easily be removed. The handle rotates 180 degrees so you don't have to perform nearly impossible stances in order to make the cut.  The unit weighs about 2lbs.  When I told the vendor I planned on using the pruner for my pond he said that quite a few of his customers have told him the same thing.

Perhaps you can find it for less but here's the vendor's website http://www.wildflower-seed.com/cutandhold.html
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cut & Hold Telescopic Pruner
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »
Looks like a very cool new toy . . . and it's great that you can use it in your gardens as well . . . I'm betting you have a lot of things that need pruning in all those plants you grow . . . .

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
Yes those are great. Made by ARS "long arm pruner" They didn't used to have the hold gripper on them. They are limited in diameter of wood they can cut, (especially with the gripper) but make a nice clean cut compared to the old pole pruners. Mine showed a little sign of rusting after I used it to do some underwater pruning...

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »
Very nice, but I was wondering about the rust issue too.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »
I was wondering about the rust issue too.
Too early to tell but the handle is aluminum and part of the cutting end appears to be stainless steel.  The actual cutting blades are steel and will rust as any pruning shear.  I plan to WD40 the entire tool after use because I'm more concerned about aluminum corrosion to the telescoping part than rust on the cutting blade.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 03:13:36 PM »
The rust I got came from inside the aluminum tube at the blade end. Couldn't say if it was from the screws holding the blade or the steel shaft that pulls the blade mechanism. After spotting rust, I made a point of trying to dry it out after use and did use some oil spray, but then I don't feel to good about putting it back in the water. Haven't torn it apart to see where the rust came from. It's surprising given it's aluminum and stainless, but something isn't...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"