Author Topic: Pergola/shade structure Near Complete New pics 5-21-07  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pergola/shade structure Near Complete New pics 5-21-07
« on: April 21, 2007, 09:11:57 PM »
If some of you have these, could you please post a couple pics.  We have an idea on what we want.  But would like to get some other ideas.

My neighbor likes to help with projects of ours, but he doesn't understand what we have in mind.  He's trying to talk us into using metal poles ???  No way, I want wood, and I'm going to use shade cloth on top.  I don't want just a canopy like you would see in the pits of a car race.  I want to be able to hang a few plants from the ends etc.  You know what I'm talking about.

Thanks everyone.....

Kim
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 02:24:30 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pergola's, or shade structures over pond or deck (question)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 04:34:20 AM »
Kim, the back of our house faces about south, we built a shade very easily with 4x4x8 post on the top we have a ledge and rested like 1x2's or maybe 1x4s  we waited till midday when the sun was shinning and angled them till we got good solid shade, then nailed in place, the rest of the day it's dappled-solid, on the outside edge we placed latice and planted clematis.  We also built one near the pond hoping for shade but we don't get it like we wanted, you can kind of get an idea from the pic in my lily pond start thread  http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2313.0  it's the last picture right now.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pergola's, or shade structures over pond or deck (question)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:09:32 AM »
Thanks Marla, I saw that on your post.  It helps alot, now to get my neighbor over and say see...

Kim

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
Kim can we swap neighbors for a few years? ;)

Our pergola isn't over our pond but close to it.  I've still got to add something on the top to shade but this give you an idea. 
It's nothing fancy by any means but it was very cheap to build, DH brought everything home from work except the latice which we had to buy! O0

There's a post somewhere which has pix of Cheeno's pond.. he has a deck built right up to his pond.

Good luck, I'm sure whatever you decide will be beautiful!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
Hi Kim
What a coincedence!  I happen to be looking for some pergola designs for my backyard too.  I searched online and saw quite a few sites but the one site that interested me is:  http://www.finehouse.net/.

Lots of pics and ideals.  Hope you see something to fit your area.   O0

Annette

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Thanks you too....I've been searching on and off the past couple of days.  I think I found something that will work.  My deck has two sides against the house like this picture.  This is one draw back to just adding a roof, tieing into both roofs and I'm afraid that would be expensive. 

Kim can we swap neighbors for a few years?

Sure, Bonnie you can borrow him all you want.  He loves to work on little projects like this, but one thing he's a perfectionist.  Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes he carries it to extremes.  That and have a bottle of Vodka, and you'll have a happy worker...

Here are a few pics of my deck.  Were going to cover the main square part and over to the edge of the house.  If I have enough shade cloth (which I should) will go over the dock area (that's what the neighbor kept calling it, when he helped build it and it stuck).

I just took these pics and it was dark out, so they're not very good but you can still get the general idea of my deck.  I love sitting out there, but it just gets to darn hot.  You can feel the heat coming off the wood.  All my plants suffer, and I stick them alot the one side.  They get the coolers spots and I end up sitting on the other swing out in the yard.

Also, here is a pic of one that I think will work,......what do you all think.  With a little angle on it, so it will go over the edge of the house.  I don't think it will be so bad.  Finger's crossed.

Kim
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:13:05 AM by Ky Kim »

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
I think that will look great Kim!

So.. when will you be done with your neighbor????????????????? ;)

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
You can have him now,  lol , he's telling us we need to run more outlets around the deck every 5 feet.  That should be done before you make your canopy "he said" whatever I said I don't have that inside my house....go sit some where and watch the fish..  lol 
sometimes he's hard to handle when he's had to much, just talk to him like he's about 5 years old and that seems to work.  Its a shame, he's a good guy just an alcoholic.

Kim
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:55:16 AM by Ky Kim »

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bonnie, your pond and yard are beautiful!  Kim I think what your talking about will look nice. I see why you love sitting there!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Here ya go Bonnie and Happyoutsidegirl....

another look at the deck, Bonnie this deck was built by my dh, neighbor and myself.  I know you've seen pics of it when I've taken them of the pond, but never just of the deck.  See how it angles around the original pond.  We actually built it around that pond.  They were just going to leave it square and put like a walk way to the back door, I said  {nono} take it up to the pond.  Why waste that space.  If I put plants there we won't be able to see the pond so, make the deck bigger.  Even though we don't really sit any chairs in that area, it just makes the deck seem so much bigger, then it wraps all the way around to the back door (side door).  I love it, best thing we ever did to the house....except for the ponds.

See the so called dock, that doesn't even look like a dock.  We just added it there because when it rained it was always muddy there and got tracked on the deck either by us or the dogs.  I think we spend as much time there as we do the deck.  We can get right down there with the fish, dangle your feet or whatever.  While we were building it, we were all singing sitting on the dock of the bay  {:-P;; {:-P;;.  So the nick name just stuck.

Kim

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
Hi KIm, here' the way Cliff did ours. The brackets mount to the beams that hold up the roof. We used to have
it mounted to the roof, but when we put a new roof on the house a few years ago, Cliff didn't want to re-install
the Pergola the same way.

Here is the drawing of how he did it.

I'll post the directions next.

Cliff used 2 pieces of 3/4
inch plywood sandwiched between 2 pieces of 5/4 cedar ...The brackets are a little over 3 1/2" wide.
They are just stained with diluted semi-transparent redwood stain (Behrs)
The siding and plywood on the eves was removed and the brackets were bolted to both the rafters that support the roof and the wood that goes around the house that supports the rafters. He hung from each one to test the strength.

The brackets were scribed to fit around the gutters and also to hold the 2x8 that the 2 x 6 Beams sit on.
Except for the brackets the rest of the wood is Redwood. He built the original deck in 1972 and the Pergola a couple of years later.
Redwood today is extremely expensive and hard to get here on Long Island...But it sure can stand the test of time.

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
    • View Profile
[img width= height=]http://www.homestead.com/backyardpond/files/p8180008_deck___rev8-18-03.jpg[/img]

The front half has a removeable solar shade awning that he made in sections (like a hammock is made). He puts it up every spring and takes it down in winter. You'll love it Kim. when you get the pergola up and shaded...
we live on ours it's cool and cozy. We made it feel like a room by putting up end walls.

[img width= height=]http://www.homestead.com/backyardpond/files/p1010002perg_top__rev....jpg[/img]

[img width= height=]http://www.homestead.com/backyardpond/P7021333deck_rev__7-3-06.JPG[/img]

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Thanks Joann.....perfect!

Kim

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
How did I ever forget Cliff and JoAnne's paradise??!!

Kim I think I'm changing my mind about the neighbor... I don't need another man to bicker with.  Just do what I say, I don't need your imput! ;)

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
JoAnne,
Of course Cliff did a beautiful job O0 I love it o(:-)
I have two different roof lines to deal with,  but I'm sure it can be done. What is the height of the header on the deck edge?
Ingenious way of attaching it to the house.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
    • View Profile
Hi Steve, I have to give him total credit for this project. Usually I dream up all the projects
and he makes it happen...It looks very neat and professional. Later I will post pics of the way he did
the sun shade which was really ingenious and very very cheep cheep  to do!... Also I designed ends
 which I wanted to make it more cozy and more like an outdoor room. It is a great way
to add privacy and cut down on any noise from neighbors. Although truthfully...we are the noisy neighbors. ;D
I'll post pics of the ends later, first I have to rattle those pots and pans!  :)

Here's a different shot to show the pitch...the front is 79" from the deck to the bottom of the header
and the back is 98" to the bottom of the header.
The deck is 13foot deep and the pergola beams are 16foot long. We built the deck in 1972, a few years ago when we did the roof he took down the pergola beams and ran them all through a planer and stained them with diluted Behr
redwood stain and put them up again with the new brackets...then we rented a floor sander and sanded down the entire deck and stained it with diluted semi-transparent redwood stain.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:46:34 PM by CliffandJoann »

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
I just love theirs.  I remembered it, I just didn't want to bother anyone much.  ;) Although, I am getting where I do PM alot more than I use to and ask direct questions. 

Kim

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
    • View Profile
Ok, here's the sun screen...the photos should be self explanatory...
two strips of wood on each side with the fabric in between ...staple the fabric on
the wood, cover the wood with another piece and screw together.
Out beams are 2Foot on center so the wood and fabric are approximately 4 foot wide x
eight foot long. The second story blocks the sun so eight foot long is all we needed.
the bungee cord with the hooks on the 4 ends is for installation.
The bungee cords are pulled tight and screwed to the
beams.
Think of a hammock, this is the way he made it. the notch in the middle of the wood fits over a beam.
each section covers four feet.
I'll be back with photos.

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
    • View Profile
the fabric is solar-viel, purchased many years ago in NYC...It is a fiberglass fabric that looks like screening
it lets in the light and filters out the sun, You can use greenhouse screening or canvas, although I recommend
screening cause the air can move freely through it, and the deck stays cool.

I just bought it in from outside to show what it looks like, see the notch in the center and the
bungie cord and hook on the right side. Hopefully it will be put up this weekend...It rolls up like an awning and stored in the garage for the winter.

From last summer, see how taunt it is, that's from pulling the bungie cords tight.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
I've already got my shade cloth and grommets.  I ordered it a couple weeks ago.  I got 60% blockage 20x20, should be at least 4 feet extra one way and about 2 the other.  I got bigger just to be sure.

Kim

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and you Joann, you for taking the time to post all that info.  I printed it out  :hug:

Kim
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:23:52 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Joann, that is a beautiful outdoor room.  I love it.

Kim, this is what I did to shade a pond in the desert where it gets really hot.  The wall on the left is to hide the pond equipment, hot water heater and the big outdoor AC for the studio next door.

I've started putting plants on that wall now, I will eventually fill it but I'm testing out various spots and how much sun they get.  I run a drip system over the top of the wall.

I also put shade cloth curtains that can be drawn in the summer to keep direct sun off of the plants and the pond.  I had one at the other end where the skippy is in the beginning but the bananas and the taro in the skippy have gotten tall enough to shade it now so I took that one down.

I too like the look of an outside room.  The shade cloth is just stapled to the top of the beams, the curtains are run on wire hooked to those tension connectors that you can twist to increase the tension. In the pic above it needed to be tightened more as it sags a little.  My problem is wind, I have hooks and grommets so I can secure the curtains to the poles but the wind has ripped through the grommets so I need to redo that some way. 

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
That's really nice too Joanna.  I can't wait to get started.  Hopefully this weekend, and it really doesn't look like it would take very long to make one.

Kim

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
Bonnie, your pond and yard are beautiful!

Thank you.

Kim.. dilute the bottle of vodka so the work will get done faster! ;)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Wow , after those good photos I hesitate to post my simple structure.  A HUGE arch is planned , but so busy with other things it won't happen for a while.  I built this structure because of herons.  it works, even if not a thing of beauty.
The spillway will be hidden, but the frost damaged plants are in the greenhouse recovering.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Were hoping to get started this weekend, dumb weather permitting.  Today its chilly, windy and damp.  Rained all day yesterday.  So we'll see.

Kim

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Well, here is day one 4-29-07. I tried to explain it really needed a slant, He says it will, so we will see  :thinking:

Kim

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
Hay Kim it's looking great!  But I don't see much of a slant {:-P;;
Joann Your deck is wonderful will you adopt me?
 Jerry and Jonna yours looks great too! Will some one adopt me?? I'm house broke and I work hard. My pond  and deck are looking pretty ugly now to me.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
That was fast!   :D You really move on your decisions.  Me, I procrastinate way too much.  It'll look great!

Smile!
Annette

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Annette,

This is the fastest I've ever seen him start something.  I'm proud of him, he got alot more done tonight.  He did mis-caculate on the wood though.  We'll have to go get a few more 20 footers tomorrow.  I can't wait till its finished. 

We got more done tonight, I'll have to take some pics tomorrow.

Kim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"