Author Topic: New filter seems to be working  (Read 1272 times)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New filter seems to be working
« on: April 22, 2007, 07:00:58 AM »
Last year I had my submersible pump in a DIY box filter approx 3 gallons.  I decided to make a skippy type mini filter this year.  I put it inside the tank because there is no more room around the tank.  I used a Rubbermaid Brute 32 gallon trash can.  The water goes in up at the top and down to the bottom thru 1"PVC.  There is a layer of lava rock in a laundry basket (for easier removal for cleaning I hope) a layer of filter pads, and QB in a laundry bag.  I cut a grate to fit the top.  I did not make a drain plug because it sets in the tank.  I can either pump it out if necessary or remove it.  It was floating at first so I had to add bricks on top of the grate.  A 2" shower drain returns the water to the pond. 

After two 50% water changes early this spring and a green spell, the water has cleared real nice.

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New filter seems to be working
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »
Wow that is clear! Good work :) I still have the net on mine - need to rake up some oak leaves around the yard and this is the first weekend its been nice enough to do it. I'll probably end up with some green water too.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:22:02 AM »
Looks great, very clear.  Do I see litter buckets cut in 1/2 for lily pots.  Hmmm, I have all kinds of those.  They would be good and sturdy.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »
What pretty fish, the water does look nice and clear.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"