Author Topic: faux rocks  (Read 11553 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
faux rocks
« on: April 24, 2007, 11:41:21 AM »
anyone have pictures and/or instructions on making faux rocks?
I saw Tinkster's website with her faux rocks, they look great! I wa thinking of making covers for my skimmer and filter. Need to be lightweight so I can move them.
Kathy

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: faux rocks
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:33:30 PM »
Kathy, if you search the internet for "artificial rocks" you will find a lot of information and instructions! I did that a few weeks ago and found many very interesting and useful information.

Also, check this book out:
http://0-firstsearch.oclc.org.elibrary.mel.org/WebZ/FSFETCH?fetchtype=fullrecord:sessionid=fsapp9-43927-f0wr5njm-8obphy:entitypagenum=3:0:recno=1:resultset=1:format=FI:next=html/record.html:bad=error/badfetch.html:entitytoprecno=1:entitycurrecno=1:numrecs=1

In case the link above doesn't work, search for "Artificial Rock Waterfalls." There is a 2002 edition and a 2005 edition. The older version is available through Michigan interlibrary loan. I checked it out a few weeks ago. I think it is useful too. The basic idea is to use foam, foam core, wood, plastic, actually whatever you want to to shape the rock and then coat it with resin and paint.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 12:55:48 PM by Dave in Michigan »
Dave (SE Michigan, zone 6)

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
Oh, the link that I gave was for WorldCat. It will probably ask you for library information. You can choose your library and enter your library card info. If that doesn't work, just search for the same title in amazon.com to get a feel. Then you can ask your library to get a copy for you.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »
Or you could ask Tink to come for a visit. O0

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:13:13 PM »
  I can't believe that one year I worked for a neighbor at the county fair flower show and learned to paint rocks!!!!
  Most of the rocks were made out of foam.
  The technique is called wet on wet, and you use the foam like you use for faux painting and dab all the colors that you see on rocks (brown,grey,green, blue,tan etc.) until it looks like a rock!
  Use the darker colors where there are going to be shadows.
  The fun thing about wet on wet is that you can go over it and over it til it blends and looks just right!
  I also painted an ice cave that year!
    HTH  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 07:26:14 PM »
(Deep knee bow) Tinkster is the master of that art. Lots of sites even a few Schools on the Art of Faux rocks or mock rocks. and tink has it down naturally......Google had quite a few hits, hard to choose but definitely quite a bit of info.
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 05:02:27 AM »
Dave- Did you make any rocks yet? I did find a few internet sites with directions. I'd like more pictures in the instructions, as I am more visual than cerebral.I saw one site that used chicken wire and foam, then coated the form with burlap dipped in grout mix and used like papier mache'. I may try one over the weekend.
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:03:02 AM »
Nancy-
How cool! have any pictures you can post?!
Kathy

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 06:59:23 AM »
http://www.keithtutor.com/index.htm  This is the guy that I really like.  He has changed his website and I havent been able to locate it yet, but he had great pictures and such on how to paint and make the rocks.  He may have taken the tutorials down as he is now selling the dvds.  His stuff is unreal!

I have "tried" to make a few of the hollow rocks with much difficulty.  I tried the foam wrapped in chicken wire then I was using hypertufa mixutre and it was just to time consuming for me.   Fortunatley I didnt need my rocks to be hollow so I could just pile up waste sandrock, bricks extra and pour the concrete over mine.  Of course they are a bugger to move! 

One Idea I tried that worked pretty goo and was very quick was the great stuff foam.  I just sprayed out a can in a big blob and let it swell.. its made a huge rock.   you can form it after it sets just a bit but before its totally dry or carve it with a knife after.  It was way expensive though if your making very many rocks.

Good luck.. its such fun to make them!

Tinkster

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 10:58:42 AM »
Kathy, I haven't done it yet. I am still at the stage or reading and searching to see what fits my current skill better. Also, I am not sure what I am going to make yet. Since I am going to do only container water gardening this year, most likely it will be some kind of fake rocks just as decoration around the containers.

Yes, I read something about the fabric mache thing. It is interesting that whatever skill/experience we have, we can make use of it to make rocks actually. Like the fabric mache is so similar to papier mache. It is just that you are using stronger/waterproof materials. If you get to resin and fiberglass, it is still the same concept but just different materials.

But please do post a pic of your rocks if you make them!!!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 03:40:59 PM »
Here's something else that can be done with the hypertufa. I think that Joyce has some maybe.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/knowhow/pp/antiqueplanters/index.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 04:47:21 PM by Esther »

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 01:22:31 PM »
I tried to do a skimmer cover today. Swiped one of the kid's round plastic sleds. Flipped it over= perfect size and slope! So I tried to cover it with a black foam for waterfalls and outdoor applications. Didn't work, would need 10 cans of the stuff! So ran out and got 2 cans of great stuff. Now I'm waiting for it to finish expanding and harden. Will probably have to go over it with cement. it's very lumpy and bumpy right now. I found if you touch it while it's wet, it deflates and pretty much disappears!
Kathy

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 05:52:35 PM »
  Kathy, sorry, this was several years ago, and I don't have pics.
  I'm still working on HOW to send pics! Just a puter dummy here!

Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 06:50:08 PM »
Here's what I have so far
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 06:53:28 PM »
YEAH! IT FINALLY POSTEd THE PICTURE!!
I need to put another thin coat of concrete on tomorrow and then paint it. I think it will come out pretty good for a first attempt! Pretty pricey though, so farit's cost me $50! 2 cans of great stuff foam and 2 pre mixed buckets of concrete. YIKES!! I think if I make many more I would use the regular mix yourself cement. it would have to be alot less expensive.

I started a cover for the filter too. it's much taller, took more foam. I got the great stuff in the black can and it worked much better. Expands ALOT more.
Kathy

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 07:53:53 PM »
I think its gonna be a great rock!  I dont know what kind of great stuff I used but one can made a big one for me.  It just keep expanding.  I waited till it was almost dry to kind of push little bumps and stuff in mine.    Its also very carveable with a knife.

Mix it yourself cement is fairly cheap but here all you can buy it in is like 40 to 80 lbs bags.  Doesnt bother me as I use it to make lots of things.  Try to see if your lowes/home depot has savage bags with holes or tears in it.. really cheap here.  .50 a bag

Cant wait to see your finished rocks!

tinkster

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 05:12:16 AM »
Tinkster-
OH! Push the bumps in when it's almost dry! DUH! I should have though of that! haha! Thanks! Gee, maybe when I go in the garage later I will have the rock that ate waterford! I used 3 cans on the new one I started. lol
Good thing I moved the car out!!!

salvage bags are a great idea too. Yesterday I didn't want to deal with the mixing, but if I make more, it would be way to expensive to keep buying this ready mixed stuff. (Already is!) I may try that on the filter cover one.

The rock that I put cement on is mostly foam. I am hoping when the cement dries it's a little lighter in weight than the bucket was. Especially since I need to add a bit more. It's the skimmer cover so I will need to be able to lift it. Same for the filter cover.

I got some of the concrete stain in buff and black, thought I could play with that on the next layer.
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 04:44:20 AM »
DH says I got the wrong concrete for the first rock! It's not drying. He says it's crack filler and meant to stay flexible!  >:( the good part is that since it wasn't so hard I could still sculpt it with a knife! So I knocked down all the bumpy areas and I'll get more concrete today to cover it.

The second one I sculpted with the knife before the concrete and it's really starting to look like a rock! My neighbor even stepped out and said "are you making fake rocks?!" ahhhhh, he didn't say What are you DOING? haha!

I'll post pics later.....
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 12:53:29 PM »
Somewhere I read to sculpt the rocks around empty plastic containers like milk jugs or ice cream buckets. Another thing I saw was to line a bucket or box with plastic trash bags and make a general mold by putting wadded up newspaper under the bags in the corners and sides so it doesn't end up square or looking like it was a box or bucket.

Hey, what about making molds in the ground with wet soil? You could sprinkle your colorant on the wet soil and then pour your cement into it. It would take up the color with a little bit of the soil that would stick to it. You still could line the hole with cement, put in filler like packing peanuts, peat moss or spaghnum moss, saw dust, oil soak up stuff, kitty litter, the milk jugs or most anything for the center to make it lighter.

What about making a general mold out of paper or plastic and spray the outside of it with your Great Stuff instead of making it solid GS. Hey, what about spraying it into a plastic bag? Wonder what would happen. Wonder if the plastic bag would stick to the GS like it sticks to me. Then what if you were to fill a bag with paper and shape your rock around it???

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 05:04:40 PM »
Fleckstone is a good spray paint that has the texture and actual look of rock when it dries. It comes in many colors and you can make those lawn statues that are just made out of concrete actually look like granite or other rocks, here's a link.

http://www.robscott.com/fleckmain.htm

You may even be able to find it at Walmart, if nnot try Home Depot.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »
As far as a mold goes, this looks easy. You could really double or triple the size just by using bigger boxes and even plastic grbage bags.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_rock/article/0,1785,HGTV_3571_1657669,00.html

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 06:44:02 PM »
Yah, see, I knew I was on the right track.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 08:55:43 PM »
Esther! You mean you havne't made a rock from PVC.....yet?! ;)
I made the cover for the filter with the top of a plastic garbage can and a plastic serving bowl fromt he dollar store turned upside down. then sprayed the outside with great stuff and covered witha thin layer of concrete. It needs another layer. I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow.

bullfrog-
I have used many of those paint finishes in the spray cans. they are great! I like the rust one too. Not surehow they hold up outside. I got some colored concrete stain I will probably add to the next layer of concrete going on my rock and will probably "stain" it after that too.
Kathy

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 03:43:43 AM »
Esther figured it out in her head, good thinking.

Kathy, If you were going to use the Fleckstone on fake rocks as a part of the waterfall I think I'd spray several layers of clear polyurethane (like varnish) one at a time and let them dry between applications. This would give it a protective coat to keep the action of the water and friction from fine sand from wearing the paint away while still letting the surface texture show through.

Better yet, I'd use real rock for the waterfall and use fake stones around the edge. I'd hate to have to tear up a waterfall once it was set. The Fleckstone is really amazing as it looks just like granite, sandstone and many other natural rocks and has the texture of a natural stone. I'd use it everywhere else.

I make decent money and work three jobs but still I can't see spending $350.00 on a pallet of natural rock three feet high when I can make my own a lot cheaper.

I'm going to start on the stepping stones as well. I have an article on how to make molds on a piece of plywood using flashing, that thin metal that roofers use. It is easily cut with tin snips, then you cut a long strip, and fold it in an "L" shape all along the length.

You tack it down on the plywood in the shape that you want your large stepping stones. Mix and add the stain to the cement/sand mixture and pour it into the mold. When it starts to dry yet is still malleable, you trowel in a little surface texture like natural rock. When it dries, the bottom is flat because it was against the plywood.

The stepping stones at Walmart are $5.00 each for about a two foot by three foot piece, these would be a lot cheaper, plus the shape would only be limited by your imagination. Stars, a crescent moon, flowers, birds, butterflies, a sun with a face interspaced with natural looking flat rock.

I'm going to "experiment" like I did in high school and try some psycedelic shapes that fit together and still look like natural stone, or like you are naturally stoned, if you get my drift.

I'm an avid picture poster so I'll photo my progress and post any success that I have here. Here's my dog Spook he can't wait for the pond.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 04:33:52 PM »
Bullfrog-
Oh yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean! We just bought 2 36 x 36 inch pieces of slate for the new waterfall, to the tune of $80!! The faux rocks are to cover the skimmer and filter. I can't stand to see equipment in such a pretty environment! I planned on working on them today, but my poor little dog (silky terrier 16 yrs)  died during the night, so I just didn't feel very creative. Maybe tomorrow.

Those stepping stones sound great! Spook is gorgeous! Those eyes!!

We still have Buckley (soft coated wheaten terrier 1 yr), our lotus eater!
Kathy

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 05:31:21 PM »
Kathy, I'm sorry to hear about your dog too. They start off as pets but soon become so much more, a member of the family. My wife works for a pet store and they send the pets to the vet when they get sick.

A guinea pig was very sick running a high fever. After a few days, they were ready to write him off and put him down. My wife got on the internet and researched it and found out what she thought it was. She called the vet and sure enough that particular antibiotic cured him.

But the high fever left him with some brain damage. He was very jerky and just not normal. She knew nobody would buy him so she brought him home. I fell for him immediately as he was all messed up, just like me. I wanted to name him Cocker after Joe Cocker but my wife dubbed him Beaudreaux. She made him a fresh salad every day from romaine lettuce, carrots and parsley.

I came home last week and my wife was in the front yard with a shovel. As I got close, I saw the tears. "Who died?" I asked? It was Beaudreaux and she was really sad, so was I.

But as I told her, he had a really good life there, she spoiled him with fresh salads every day and he would have been put down months ago if it weren't for her caring.

Anyway, I'm really sorry about your dog. I'll see if I can find that link about the homemade stepping stones.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 06:47:51 PM by Bullfrog »

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 05:49:20 PM »
Kathy I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your pup. It 's so sad when you don't have that warm body where you are used to it. I used to hear toenails on the kitchen floor, or at least I thought I did after Lucky died.

Bullfrog, you fit right in here really well. You are a good addition to our forum. Most of us are DIYers not necessarily because we can't afford to do what we want done but because we  enjoy the journey of getting there, oh and because we are cheap. LOL

Another thing, we LOOOOOOVE pictures. Love the picture of your dog too. He's a real beauty. I called my DH to come and see.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 07:34:42 PM »
Thank you for the kind words Esther, it's nice to be made to feel welcome when you are the new guy. I'm still looking for the stepping stones using roofing flashing because you can make them really large and natural shaped. With a little experimentation, I'm sure you could make them look just as good as the ones they sell at Home depot for over $5.00 each and I need a lot of them.

I'm looking to cover a large area for a patio next to the pond and a walkway back from the deck.

Until I find that website, check this one out.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_entertaining_decor/article/0,1801,HGTV_3113_2033439,00.html

and this one, I like the frog  :) they came from here.

http://www.outdoordecor.com/category.asp?csn=593

These could be laid into a natuaral flagstone patio floor at different places or just placed strategically around the pond.

I'm still looking for the link but if I can't find it, I'll just photo my making some as I remember how from the article.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2007, 08:22:02 PM »

sorry to hear about your dog :(..

Cant WAit to see your covers.... isnt it fun!

I am making huge stepping stones by using my elephant ears as molds :). they look really good.

tinkster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"