Author Topic: New Lotus pond almost done landscaping it! Few more rocks to custom make :)  (Read 2023 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
woohoo.. I think its gonna look so cool.  All the marginals are in but where are the lotus!  Wont it be pretty when they fill all that in :)

Still have to make one huge berm rock between the lotus and big pond.  ITs gonna be a flat long rock with a big planter in it so it will hold hold all plants and hopefully they will drape down into both ponds :)

[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/april2007.jpg[/img]

[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/april2007lotuspond1.jpg[/img]

[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/april2007pond1.jpg[/img]

[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/april2007lotuspond.jpg[/img]

tinkster

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wow! That's beautiful Tinkster  o(:-) You did an excellent job on your rocks and your plantings.   8-)~   o(:-)
You have a wagon with succulents in it too..I love that ..

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
I LOVE IT   O0 O0....can't wait to see pics of it later this summer....it will be gorgeous...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The entire thing looks great! I would never have thought those were fake rocks! I saw your website the other day when I was doing a search on fake rocks.
Kathy

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Your ponds are great, they really look good.  But your rocks amaze me.  They just blend right in, you did a excellent job. 

Can't wait till mid pond season when everything is really filling in, it will look fabulous.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
 8-)~ You are doing such a wonderful job!!
I see a lot of planning, ideas, and work.  Love it and can only wish.....I really enjoy your hard work.  More update photos Pllleeessseee!

Simle!
Annette

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
In a word (or two), Gosh, Wow.

Nice work with the rock placement, really.
Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
WOW , Tinkster that looks really GOOD !  O0
I love the rocks U made , mine never look's that good.... :(
bonnie

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Fantastic Tink!!

Is that Bloody Dock that I see?  I had some a few years ago but it died.. saw it at Lowes over the weekend and thought that I need some again.

What is the plant with the yellow flowers blooming, I can't get a good look to tell what it is...

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
THanks yall!

yes it is bonnie.  I got mine at lowe's last year and struggled with it in water just barely submergered then I took it out of the pond and put it in the lotus pond just on the boggie dirt and it has trippled in size since.  Its a very nice looking plant.

The yellow THUG is I believe Joyce said buttercups.  They have killed everything out on that one berm and taken it over in one season. Soon as it blooms its coming out of there and up on the bank to see what a thug it is.

Tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wow Tink, it look fabulas. Your bank is big like mine but your is much more filled in I think?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
What is your web address? I don't see it on your profile. What formula do you use to create your rocks. I've been thinking about trying but you read so many different formulas and thought processes. Do you Hypertupha, concrete, mortar, colors... spill the info to us please.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
That is so gorgeous!!  I would also love to see more pictures.   o(:-)

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Timgod.   The link about the rockbuilding dvd I posted above is where I read before I did mine.  He had some aewsome pictures and tutorials online which I followed "most" of his information.  To me his rocks, which you cant see now are totally realistic.   He has since taken that off his website and selling the dvds.   Due to the volume of rocks I had to make, the location being on a very steep bank and hard to access, I decided to use his suggestion for first time  rock maker and "pour" them in place.  So my rocks are very heavy and would be very difficult to move as they are HUGE boulders.  

The core of the rocks are everything from leftoveor sand rock, bricks, some are styro foam I found at a department store trash bin, anything waste to fill up the middle of the rock and cut down on cement use.  I pilled them into mounds then covered with concrete.  I use 3 parts sand one part portland.  I have used color dyes in the cement but they still dont look as much like a rock as they should so I stopped using the dye and just "stain" them after I am done.  I find it easier and with much less painting if I am starting with a rock the normal color of cement.

I would suggest anybody start with a small rock and experiment with techniques you like. I have found easier ways now to do things. The worst thing you can do is get to slick a rock.  Like from patting it on with your hand.  It looks good but it doesnt have rock texture and looks  fake.   I like to mix up the cement kind of dry then I stand back and throw it at my waste pile.  It splats when it hits and when that dries it has a texture exactly like real rock.  Some pat it on with their hands and use all kind of things to texture it.  Old paint brushes with dried paint kind of one them makes it look pitty and like a rock, scrubbies and furnace filters make nice textures, etc.  After you get use to that method, a trowel is a wonderful thing to make like indents and layes of pealing rock.  YOu can see in some of mine where I Have used the trowel method.

When painting the rock, I dont do alot as I find less is better.  I stain them.  I buy acrylic paint at walmart in the craft section.. very inexpensive.  I mix the paint back with about half water to make a very light stain.  I take a tan or something grey and stain the whole rock then I let it dry then I take a paint brush that is old an the bristles go everywhere then I dip that VERY lightly in different color paints.. darker greys, moss greens, etc and stand back and take my hand  and sling the brush, this leave very realistic like moss and different color spots on the rock.  but you can find alot of ways to do it.  That was just the recommendation for painting on that site.

Anyway.. HOpe this helps.. basically just dig in and start with a little one and very soon you will find what way you like.  I also get my bags of concrete from lowes.  They all have what they call salvage bags. If they are split or have a small hole in the bag, they sell them cheaper at my lowes .50 a bag.  So take the plunger and run by and get a bag and a bag of play sand and make one!  I posted  a few pictures of a series for a rock bed I made below.  This is when it was just finished and I was mulching around it.  It now looks much more aged as weather is your best friend on painting/staining the rocks :)

tinkster
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:28:41 AM by tinkster »

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
It's looking so gorgeous Tink!!!  What is the plant around the bottom stepping stones, right in front, down by the path?  It's bright green and sorta moundy looking.  Very pretty.

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
Tinkster, Your pond, gardens, and rocks are as beautiful as ever . Glad to see you made through the winter and back in your gardens doing your gorgeous work. Love the layering effect you have been created in your gardens. I enjoyed your tutorial on rock building and am going to take the plunge and try one. Thanks for all the pictures and please keep them coming. Thanks again ;)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
Tink, wow I'm loving it o(:-).  Gives me a whole new concept, I'll have lots of liner left over, maybe next year a bog!  The rocks a fantastic, I'm going to have to give that a try, probably on a smaller scale first to see how it works.  So glad you shared these stunning pics. 
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Theresa... that is a sedum.. I cant remember the name but its real common but it has gone hairwire there with a bit of watering.  Guess they thrive in hot dry but go beserk in water :)

MCP!  Good to see you bud!

tinkster

Offline Viv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Love your pond and stones. Good job!!

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
That looks Fantastic!!! You did a great job!

Joann

Offline skippy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/08/2006
    • View Profile
Tinkster, you ROCK!

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
You've created a beautiful getaway for you and your daughter, Tink. Your rocks are very realistic and your plantings are gorgeous.
Way to go O0
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"