Author Topic: Ouch!  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ouch!
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »
All my water hyacinths died this winter due to the extreme cold.   The California vendor that originally sold me water hyacinths several years ago has apparently ceased doing business and I was having difficulty finding another vendor who would ship to CA.  While at my fish supplier purchasing some Wakins I saw he had a pond full of water hyacinths.  The hyacinths were $6.00 each!   :'(  I bought two....  I have no biofilter and I need them to compete against the suspended algae for nutrients so that my water remains clear. 

Last summer I must have thrown four or five wheelbarrows full into my compost pile and that made my parting with $12.00 all the more painful.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 04:32:31 AM »
That's outrageous! I've paid maybe $3.50 or $4 at the most here, sometimes $2.50 or $3.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:38:28 AM »
You got robbed!! >:(- Mine didn't do well last year? I think mostly cuz the piggies ate most the roots off. They wouldn't grow and just kept turning brown? I'm trying to find some extra small mesh netting to make nets for my hoops I made, anyone know where it can be bought?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 05:36:19 AM »
He didn't get robbed, he lives in california. ;D That's more than likely a good deal, O0
Right Mikey?
By summers end, he'll be throwing them on the compost pile again ;)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 06:55:34 AM »
Hyacinth is one of those plants that if they do good and multiply....then you really get your moneys worth....thank goodness I haven't had to buy any in over 5 years.....mine teetors along in the gh thru the winter...Have you tried covering it thru the winter? maybe building a small plastic frame over a tub of it to overwinter....If your winters aren't that bad then that may just give them enough protection to make it...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 07:29:25 AM »
Mine did awful last year also replaced them a couple times.  But I love them and will put more in again this year, but they do get pricey if you can't over winter them and they don't do good.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »
Have you tried covering it thru the winter? maybe building a small plastic frame over a tub of it to overwinter
I'm a kind of "tough love" gardener/ponder.   :o Things don't get much coddling around here.  I sometimes push my growing zone limits but "winterizing" is a taboo word in these parts....  :)

I guess I really shouldn't complain because the original plants were purchased some 9 years ago or so and the vendor only charged something like $1.50 per plant; even less if you ordered a whole bunch....  Perhaps this is why they are no longer in business......  If these do as well I guess I'll re-coop my loss.  I certainly wouldn't bother with them if I had to purchase them at that price every year....

At that price I feel I should be out there now guarding them from the koi..... :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:23:24 AM by Mikey »

Offline rcr203

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 11:35:29 AM »
I got mine off eBay this year.  I had tried overwintering them in the garage.  I think they almost made it, but I may have put them in the greenhouse too early - we had that cold snap with all the clouds and rain and I think that did them in, without sun to heat up the greenhouse.

Offline MikeW

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 11:50:08 AM »
Ouch indeed!
Before you started supplying me Mike, I was also having trouble finding them. Even the suppliers within California would not ship to me.
Eventually found some guy in Palm Springs that would ship, and at his prices I thought I was getting illegal drugs.
My water surface is a slimey green right now, and I am about done with the "have patience" thing - might have to go get some of these this year too.
Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline stacig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 12:31:08 PM »
i get them for free .they grow like crazy wild here.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 01:51:13 PM »
Don't tell anyone....... {:-P;;
They are illegal here... {-)
I collected my 1st plant at a state park here where they cannot kill it. I figured I was doing my part to help them clear out the lakes there. {:-P;;
That one plant became a 5' swimming pool full each year.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 01:56:43 PM »
they are here as well i got well over 200 a couple of wekks ago and pan to go get more

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »
They are forbidden here but more so in South Florida. The word here is if you don't live near a natural waterway, you can get away with them. I have proven this as a state inspector comes through this MH park once a year and the last time through, she just asked the park owner if I was selling plants(which I'm not, yet). They frown upon nurseries having them because it is illegal to sell them here but with special permits, a nursery can sell them to people in states that they are not forbidden in. Mine came from our exlandlord's daughter. I thought that I had lost them one year due to frost but the next Spring, they cam right back from the roots.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »
Not quite right Scott.  The permit to propagate water lettuce is for sale to states were Pistia is allowed, but the permit for propagating hyacinth is for international sale only. 
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 04:23:18 PM »
So would it be breaking the law if you send me some and I just donate you money? ::) I can't even get any tell mid to late may and I do want to try them again.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 06:05:43 PM »
  I have gotten them several times from the same lady on www.Freecycle.com , but she is in the sun and I'm mostly in the shade.
  A few over wintered in the green house this year. We'll see if the others can handle part shade.
  Check out the freecycle and see if anyone in your area has extras. It seems if they are in the right environment they go crazy.
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »
yes i would be .and they are always filled with snail eggs

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 07:53:58 PM »
And I thought $2.00 was too much  :o .

I'm sure you can go to the pricey local nurseries for much less than $6.  Even Green Thumbs Nursery or Laguna Koi Ponds in Laguna Beach are more affordable!

I'm sure with this warm weather you'll get multiples anyhow  ;)

Smile!
Annette

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 04:10:40 AM »
I had a well meaning friend decide to bring me 2 trash bags full, I floated them in hoola hoops to keep them contained and let them float around my pond they, grew and grew. Later I read all about the regulations on having them (and I do not live far from a large water source) it was enough to cause me to remove them all and put them on the compost pile. I love the look just not sure how hard over the local authorities will be if they see them floating contained in my pond. Craig may know and I am sure it will not go well for the home team if I get busted with them. In the mean time here are a few of the pictures from the last batch:

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 09:00:03 AM »
Yes Andy, they certainly do have a very attractive flower but it makes for a lousy cut flower.....  Glad you didn't get caught with it... {-) :D

Even Green Thumbs Nursery or Laguna Koi Ponds in Laguna Beach are more affordable!
Annette: I have heard about Green Thumbs but I've never visited that nursery.  I thought about calling Laguna to see if they had hyacinths but reconsidered because of taking out time for the long drive....  I'm trying to get my place ready for a spring garden tour on May 5th and I'm several days behind because of lost time from throwing my back out......

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 10:54:07 AM »
I bought 30 on eBay a few weeks ago for about $25..00 including shipping.  Our winters are cold here, but I might try overwintering some in the garage this winter.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »
The Armstrong Nurseries in southern OC have pond displays too.  All kinds of water plants including hyacinths.  Everything but the fish are for sale.  If there is one near you, check it out.  Good luck. 

Smile!
Annette

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 06:01:03 PM »

Don't you just love the south? We have huge Lilly Pads and water hyacinths free for the taking. And the neat thing is once you do get a pond put in, the frogs will find it, you don't have to find the frogs.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"