Author Topic: Water violets......picture added.. very pretty plant!  (Read 2231 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Water violets......picture added.. very pretty plant!
« on: April 26, 2007, 06:22:52 PM »
Was at lowes today and they had the best looking pond plants I have ever seen from them.. big and so healthy looking.  I bought water violet then got home and cant find much info on it online but a few that says its very difficult to establish.  anybody else grow it and got any tips for me.

Tinkster
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 08:23:27 PM by tinkster »

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Water violets......
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 11:01:26 AM »
I went searching on them, and all I came up with was they were hard to get established.  Wish I could have helped you more.

I agree, Lowes pond plants look GOOD this year.  I bought 2 bloody docks, and corkscrew rush.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 01:54:37 PM »
Interesting, I've never heard of it before, is it a hardy plant or tropical.  I've planted regular purple wood violets in the pond for instant color in the spring, they do quite well.  Do you have a picture?
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 03:47:53 PM »
I bought it the last time Lowes sold it (about two years ago). It grew very well here and even replanted it in one of those deep meat trays like you would get a family pack of ground beef in. It filled it up in no time. One word of warning though. Tadpoles love it. They ate the whole thing. I bought more this year and plan to keep it away from tadpoles until I have enough that I'm willing to share with them. I planted mine in my normal topsoil/composted manure/sand mixture and placed it in shallow water(6"). Good luck to y'all further north.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 08:22:48 PM »
thanks scott!  I was gonna plant it straight in the bog berm of the lotus pond maybe I should pot it up and try that way.

Marla they say its hard to zone 3 - 9 vioelet de aqua the more techincal name.  But the folage on this is beautiful if it never blooms.. But says blooms all summer.

tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Water violets......picture added.. very pretty plant!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 09:24:35 PM »
Wow tink, your right ! that is awsome looking! I'm going to have to find some of that!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »
Never heard of it, but it does look like it might be pretty . . . . how about another pic once you get it planted?

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 03:01:44 PM »
sure will teresa.. thats my problem right now as I am not sure how to plant it.  The tag says 0 to 4 " but the front says oxygenator plant which are usually totally submersed I thought.  The web refers to it as totally submerssed and the flowers just grown out of th water, but pictures show it not in the water.. I wanted it to be out of the water so think I will try it in a inch or so and watch how it does.

tinskter

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »
This is what mine looked like before it was devoured.

Notice one of the visitors for the recycled water pond. Mine never did get to bloom. Probably not enough sunlight.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 05:31:41 PM »
Actually tinkester that is the spanish name, it literally means water violet. I believe the proper name is Hottonia palustris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hottonia_palustris

More pictures here
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/html/R159548.HTM

It is actually a submerged plant and it sends flowers and some foliage to the surface. It also appears to be invasive. just a piece breaking off the plant is enough to restart itself.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 07:57:35 PM »
woohoo scott. that is pretty! I really liked the folage to!

Thanks El Jefe..... that kind of clears it up abit.  Every site I was hitting was saying it was hard to establish.  I hope it is invasive then I will have something to send you guys :)

tinkster

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 05:27:57 AM »
I bought one last year at Lowes and it slowly disappeared, never bloomed. :(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 06:38:46 AM »
I got one in a trade a few years back....It didn't make it either.....I guess I'm sooo used to monster invading aquatics that I don't like to waste my time on the picky ones....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline seanmckinney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 02:11:28 AM »
If it is the same plant here ( I think it is) it took me two or three attemps to get it going, I didnt get much bloom from it but I was still pleased to have got it going. I have actually lost track of it in the wildlife pond but I think I put it in about 9" of water and I think it grew out over the deep section but under the surface plants.
I will have to have a look but if I remember correctly it was untouched by the tadpoles here, it maybe that only certain species of tadpoles like it. I have the recollection that it is classed as a native plant here so maybe it had 'learnt' to make itself unpalatable to UK tadpoles

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »
Maybe it's spicey. UK people don't like spicey food, maybe the tadpoles don't either. ;D {:-P;;

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline jatfla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 06:16:51 PM »
Well, I like it and am putting it on my "list".  I like invasive too and I love having plants on the bottom of my pond since it's only about 2 feet deep and easy to peer into.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 06:28:32 PM »
Tink you are so bad for us that have an addiction!

Gonna check Lowes, I don't recall seeing it but I was trying my best not to look....

Offline sushi

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 03:57:40 AM »
I bought one of these yesterday.  Did anyone figure out how to actually plant it?  Lowes had some awesome plants, I'm going back today  O0

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 07:40:29 AM »
I'll admire yours I'm outta room. >:(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 09:29:10 AM »
Nice foliage even if it doesn't flower.  Invasive?  Nothing becomes invasive in my pond  >:(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"