Author Topic: What is a good anniversary present?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What is a good anniversary present?
« on: April 27, 2007, 11:17:53 AM »
My husband Tim and I will be married 20 years in June, and I don't have a clue what to get him.  Lovemyasagis anniversary thread made me realize that I should start thinking about it now.  Tim is a casual sort of guy, never wears anything but jeans and t-shirts.  A watch is out, I get him a new one every few years already. LOL  We don't have the money to go away anywhere, so a trip is out of the question.  Any ideas?

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What is a good anniversary present?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 02:22:45 PM »
Congratulations Barb!

We don't exchange gifts for our anniversay. What we do is go to a nice restaurant and just have a nice dinner together. I know its not much but it feels almost like a date.  o(:-)

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 02:27:02 PM »
We usually just do a nice dinner out. Sometimes if we get a check from our parents, we'll use it to treat ourselves to something special for the house.

I was really hoping to do something special for our 10th anniversary, but we spent it in the emergency room at the beach with a very sick kid. My dh was joking that my gift for our 20th this July is that we are bringing along a friend for our teenage daughter at the beach to keep her out of my hair! (Great gift, BTW!)
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
Barb,
You make it hard when you don't describe any of his interests or what the two of you enjoy together ...

1. SW Connecticut = near NYC? ... Broadway play?

2. Yankees or Mets?

3. Hot air balloon ride?

4. Zip, Bop and Whir: Toys of the 20th Century Exhibition - Bruce Museum of Arts and Science -- Greenwich
Now through July 8, 2007  Information: 203-869-0376.

5.  http://www.irishfestival.org/  June 15, 16 & 17

6. Ballet? “Sleeping Beauty” -- Stamford  - June 8, 2007 - Information: (203) 358-8853

Decisions, decisions ... what to do ... good luck in finding just the "right" thing for your special day ... 20 years is quite a milestone.

Keep Smilin'
John  :)

"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 04:44:20 PM »
Thanks everyone, and John, you were very helpful!

Tim has his own custom woodworking business.  His hobbies are:  playing guitar, both electric and acoustic, golf, and, well, all else that comes to mind is mushroom hunting.  He spends countless hours traipsing through woods in our area of SW Connecticut looking for mushrooms.  His uncle up in Vermont who has over 100 acres got him into it as a child.  Tim can identify absolutely any mushroom you put before him.  He is obsessing over when mushroom season begin here, he is eagerly awaiting the morel season.  But get this, he hates the taste of mushrooms.   lol  He just likes collecting them.  Up in Vermont, he sells them to a local grocer when he picks them.  Here, he cooks them, and the rest of the family (except the 3 year old, just to be extra safe) eats them.  MMM, my favorite is chanterelles.   8-)~

We have two teenagers and a 3 year old.  Getting away for a play is a bit tricky, our teens don't like to babysit, but they can be bribed. 

I am terribly afraid of heights.   :-\

Editing to add that he already has absolutely every book published on mushrooms.   :P

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 10:00:29 PM »
A reservation for a local steak house (t-bone with mushroom sauce?), then a reservation with a local hotel with a in room hot tub. Bribe the teenagers to stay home and babysit with a couple of movie gift certificates. Check into the hotel early without him knowing and pre-set up the room, candles, bottle of wine, and "a street car named desire" to put into the dvd player! Just a thought...

Greg

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 04:21:02 AM »
I have heard that there are mushroom growing kits available. But I bet that he loves the search and find part rather than the growing etc. Especially since he doesn't like to eat them.  Do a google.

http://www.shroomery.org/4/Grow-Mushrooms

http://www.mycowest.org/cult/i-grow/i-grow-1.htm

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 04:56:10 AM »
We do love steak!  There is a steak house in town that we will probably go to.

He has already grown his own mushrooms in the past with those kits, but it was a great idea, thanks Esther!  That is the problem, coming up with something I haven't already done.  And he doesn't wear jewelry... :(

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 06:07:22 AM »
We, also have never exchanged gifts an aggreement from the begining, didn't have much $$.  We do however go out to eat some place nice and now more expensive then in the old days.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 06:56:26 AM »
Congratulations on your anniversary!  We have been married 31 years (gosh, how did we ever get that old? :-\)  We also never exchanged gifts, but last year for our 30th we went on a cruise to Alaska.  It was wonderful.

We also are mushrooms hunters.  How about a walking stick carved with mushrooms.  We have a very dear friend that carved ours out of vine-choked sassafras.  I'm sure you could probably find one on the internet or at craft fairs.

Karen

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 05:48:41 AM »
My daughters have a couple of walking sticks very much like that . . . . but not nicely carved on the top.  They don't use them, but I love to use them!

Did you find anything Barb?

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »
I gave him a walking stick with a morel carved on the handle a few years ago.   8)

I still don't know for sure what I'm doing yet, but thank you for all the suggestions!!

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »
If all else fails, give him a gift certificate for whatever he wants . . . . then let him decide what he wants.   I know it's not the most romantic thing, but hard to buy for is hard to buy for . . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"