Author Topic: Do you know what kind of fish, and snail these are?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do you know what kind of fish, and snail these are?
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:59:30 PM »
I've had these for three years now, got them as babies from a feeder goldfish tank at a local fish shop. Wish I could get more... they are about 4" and very fast. They tolerate 85* water as well as 35* water.

This year I've had an explosion of these snails, which I don't see when they are small but they get to about an inch in diameter. They are laying eggs all over everything drives me nuts—they wrap up the lily leaves before they can open. The egg "sacks" are about 1 1/2 " long.

Offline seanmckinney

• Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know what kind of fish, and snail these are?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:13:44 AM »
With regard to the fish my first thought was orfe but you would need to check that.
Re the snails, have a look on http://www.applesnail.net/

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 05:51:29 AM »
If the fish are only 4" long after 3 years, they aren't orfe.  Could they be dace? 

And as for the snails, are the eggs in or out of the water?

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:26:41 AM »
I like Teresa's suggestion - dace

check this out ...

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/cyprinidae.html

Keep Smilin'
John  :)
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 02:43:23 PM »
Johns, that's a lot of fish to choose from. Not sure they look like the Dace on that page, they look more like the Shiners.

The snails do their eggs under water only, in a thick clear gelatin case. The snails don't survive out of water.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 05:35:39 PM »
In regards to the fish, I was thinking golden shiner or the wild shiner that we have here in Central Florida. The snail confuses me. It looks like a apple or trap-door snail but it lays eggs like a pond or ramshorn snail. It's not a giant pond snail either. Maybe you need to take one to your local Department of Agriculture or Department of Enviromental Protection.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 06:06:03 PM »
Johns, that's a lot of fish to choose from. Not sure they look like the Dace on that page, they look more like the Shiners.

The snails do their eggs under water only, in a thick clear gelatin case. The snails don't survive out of water.

Could absolutely be a shiner.  You have to look at both dace and shiners from the side to id them.

Dunno about the snail . . . . how big is it?

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 09:10:02 PM »
The snail looks very much like the Radix auricularia from this web site. Have to scroll down to the pics.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/GLWL/Benthos/Mollusca/Gastropods/lymnea_auricularia.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/GLWL/Benthos/Mollusca/Gastropods/Lymnaeidae.html&h=166&w=200&sz=8&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=B60MUgaFJHcqDM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRadix%2Bauricularia%26svnum%3D50%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

Mine appear to be about an inch across or so. I haven't done a thorough examination, as I was hoping they are common and not a problem... Wishful thinking probably... Does anyone else have them or experience with them? Should I be removing them with a vengeance or are they ok? :-X

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"