Author Topic: Grafting??? repair limb??? beautiful Mandevillas from trash.. can they be saved?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lowes had tossed 3 of these what I believe are mandevilla vines.. they are beuatiful.. each one has the limb broken right at the base.  Can they be taped or grafted somehow, I would love to save them.

Thanks for any info

tinkster

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I doubt they can be caused to heal/grow back together. They look like the break has dried/scabbed over. If you removed it and put it in water, will it put down roots?

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Seems to me that if the leaves are still that green and not wilty then the roots are providing them with something.  I might just leave them and let them grow . . . . they will probably send out new branches from the stubs at the bottom and the tops may continue to grow also.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
I thought about cutting the limb off that is broke and sticking it in the edge of the bog to see if it would take roots .  Think I will try to do that and then see if the other big branch will scab over and live or produce other branches.  I have never seen a red/fuschia one.  I guess it it mandevillas.

tinkster

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
Teresa is right. If it is doing OK the way it is then leave it. Maybe take a piece of green string and bind it around to reinforce it so it won't continue breaking away. Hey, could you put some sort of putty glue around it?

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
I thought about cutting the limb off that is broke and sticking it in the edge of the bog to see if it would take roots .  Think I will try to do that and then see if the other big branch will scab over and live or produce other branches.  I have never seen a red/fuschia one.  I guess it it mandevillas.

tinkster

I don't think I'd put it in the bog . . . . too much water and it might not grow or root.  If you want to root it, get some rooting hormone to use on the branch and some perlite or vermiculite or sterile media to put it in while it tries to grow roots.  Then make a clean cut on the branch and dip it in the rooting hormone.  Insert the branch in a pot of moist sterile mix.  Then cover it with a clear plastic . . . . with small cuttings, I put them in the large (2 gallon size) zip lock bags and zip them shut to keep the moisture in.  Check it to make sure it stays good and moist, but don't drown it. 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Yes, it is a Mandevilla, there are several red cultivars. They are quick growing vines. If a branch is broken, it won't hurt it and it should sprout out at the roots. You can't knit broken branches back together.

I would not put it in the bog. It is not a bog plant.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
LeeAnne,
  What is the mature size of a Mandevilla? I'm trying to figure out where to put one.
Kay

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks all.. I just went on and pruned that limb off as the weight keep making it slit further down to the crown.  I took the cut off branches and stuck them all in wet dirt but not submersed.. I got about 10 out of it so maybe a couple will take off

Wish I had known ya wanted one kay before I sent your package.. I could have put one of these injured ones in there!

tinkster

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
Oh, I have one that I'm trying to figure a place for. You are so sweet to share though  :hug: It was one of the 50 cent plants from Lowes last fall. (Thanks for the tip :) I guess I'll just put it next to the pond with something to climb on and let it go wild :)

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
I dont think they grow in wet water.  I am jsut trying to root the limbs I had to cut off the plants that were broken.  :)

tinkster

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
I put it next to my above ground lily pond where it's feet are dry. I'm hoping I can train it a bit with some well placed support and ties. I think it might look nice rambling and might soften the lines of the pond edges. Think that might work? If not not much lost. There is no room around the inground pond at all :(

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
That would be a nice idea.. I got a few areas that would look great with something sprawling over them.  I have one I brought in for winter last year in the pink and its not looking good but it least made it.  I think I will take bambo sticks and make a trellie kind of thingy for them.

Will they lay on the ground if not staked up and ramble?  that would look neat to hmm :)

tinkster

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
That would be a nice idea.. I got a few areas that would look great with something sprawling over them.  I have one I brought in for winter last year in the pink and its not looking good but it least made it.  I think I will take bambo sticks and make a trellie kind of thingy for them.

Will they lay on the ground if not staked up and ramble?  that would look neat to hmm :)

tinkster
I have some torn pond netting that I may trim and try to use as support. It's unobtrusive and would help it stay upright until it got to the edge of pond..bamboo is a good idea too.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
I think 10' or so but am not positive. They aren't hardy here.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"