Author Topic: No Lovelier....  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
No Lovelier....
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:59:58 PM »
....the second time around.

I grew this vivip out again to get a second opinion and the second was the same as the first, a severe case of the blahs.

Might try a cross or two with it to see if I can jazz up the flower, but failing that, I see no future in its future.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: No Lovelier....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:35:13 AM »
It's kind of plain but they don't all have to be knockouts. It reminds me a bit of the Terri Dunn I got last fall in the flower structure and outer sepal color. The petals aren't even that far off in color, just a little bluer to Terri's purple tones. I do like the pads and since it is a vip you know that is a plus in my book although I know it is not a feature you look for.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:16:06 PM »
I like the color of the flower, and I love the pads, but I guess it does look like other lilies . . . . kinda sad.

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 04:31:30 PM »
Not really all that sad Teresa....it is the expected result as seedlings, for the most, are less stunning than mama and papa.<g>

Whether or not it is a vivip is or little importance to me...they should all be knock outs.<g>  When someone says that l a red lily "is as good as any other red lily out there" ...you end up with just another red lily.  If it is a vivip and can be propagated more easily...it is still mediocre, just on a more available scale.<g>  As Rich Sacher said..all seedlings are pretty but to be named they should be markedly different.

The one hybrid I do find sad reappeared today.  It is one of my favorites and I thought I had finally lost it but there is no mistaking the pads from the first floater on and I noticed it today for the first time this Spring...the frustrating but .imo. lovely 'Cactus Jack' is putting in its annual appearance.<g>

Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 05:41:58 PM »
What is sad to me is that you would consider that  a throw away while I would give an awful lot to have a few flowers like that a month . . . . but that's neither here nor there.  I do understand where you are coming from and I think you understand where I come from - that, to me, is a lovely flower.

And there are not words for Cactus Jack . . . . I surely wish he would stop frustrating you and cooperate so he could have the fame he deserves.

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 02:13:22 PM »
I do understand what you mean Ma'am, but it won't be a throw away....more an expatriate. I have a friend/customer in Germany that is a vivip nut and he is willing to adopt the ugly duckling.<g>

Another prodigal lily appeared today...'Hunter's Moon'.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
Hunter's moon looks like a lily I would like . . . I love the blues and especially the ones where the petals are tipped with darker blue than the center . . . not sure why I love that, but I do.  Glad to hear that the pretty little reject will have a happy home with someone who appreciates it!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"