Author Topic: poorer pond performance this year....  (Read 5248 times)

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: poorer pond performance this year....
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 03:37:05 PM »
John, I do agree with you - all ponds are different, one will react one way, and then go and act differently the next time! 
Growing conditions are so different too.  Which is why I rarely open my mouth concerning growing anything!  What works for me might (probably) won't work for somebody else.  I think I get away with alot as far as growing lilies is concerned.  I have a longer growing season, blah, blah, blah.  So my lilies have a chance to recover from my abuse, while other people aren't so lucky. 

Oh, by the way - it was 102* here yesterday (with the heat index).  Wonder how hot it was on the roof? 
Tammie

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 04:07:10 PM »
I've never disagreed with John... but I have to on the Hydrogen Peroxide.  Only because I saw it with my own eyes.  The HP didn't kill the lilies, just set them back. 

Here's a web link that verifies that observation.  A guy trying to kill black algae in an aquarium ends up killing it and most of his plants with hydrogen peroxide.  Found this article a while ago when I had a problem in my aquarium.

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/algae_peroxide.html

It's not up right now, but it was a couple of days ago so I can only assume it's a temporary server problem.

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 04:09:51 PM »
Hi CFarm.  I use Osmocote triple 14.  I tried the 19-6-12 on a limited basis once as the supplier was out of the regular...I was glad I waited the day or two for the triple 14 before forging ahead full speed.  The other I use on bedding plants.

Hi Gary...I'd always heard that Dr. Birdsey named it after  Albert Greenberg, the gentleman that started Everglades Aquatic Nursery in the 30's.  I lifted this from PondKeepeer.<g>

"This 1969 hybrid, discovered. by Monroe Birdsey, was named for his friend Albert. Greenberg, who is often called the father of aquarium"
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline karen J

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »
"Scientific method requires control of all parameters and the ability replicate the experiment"

Yes. Science should also be evidence- based. No evidence = no science. Controlling all parameters is a lot more complicated than most scientists/researchers admit.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline charlotteda

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Charlottes Website
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 09:50:08 AM »
see how pitiful my hyacinths are... I'm doing the same thing I have done for 3 years and usually have an overflow this time of year.

Charlotte

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 02:43:54 PM »
Look how pitiful these tropical waterlilies are on a hot sunny exposed pond, early in July

Gigantea and Miami Rose, various tropicals would turn to mush, Queen of Siam would go on to leaf up and flower quite well

The floating bits are leaves, disintegrating

On ponds with dappled, part shade for half the day, the same plants that failed in the sun grew quite well, two giganteas in almost full shade grew to bloom by August. as did Miami Rose

The failing plants in this pond would lose a months growth, if they did not actually die

The only difference was the excessive heat and sun

By contrast, the hardies have been doing a lot lot better for three months... these Attraction would have singed buds, at the same time as the many of the tropicals were completely failing in hot sun positions

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:55:14 PM by andrew davis »

Offline cfarm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 11:34:38 AM »
Hi CFarm.  I use Osmocote triple 14.  I tried the 19-6-12 on a limited basis once as the supplier was out of the regular...I was glad I waited the day or two for the triple 14 before forging ahead full speed.  The other I use on bedding plants.

Thanks Craig. I have a sneaking suspicion in my repotting effort I shot myself in the foot. The multicote fed lilies seem to be blooming more, but darned if I know even which Multicote I was using!

Have to start taking some notes. For now, I fed a few "slowpokes" with some Jobes tomato fertilizer spikes(8-24-8) because it's all I had lying around. Will see if this picks them up over the next couple of weeks.

Do you have to monitor water temps and estimate the exhaustion rate of the Osmocote? I suspect it's good for a season if temps don't get too high, but this year has been a little haywire with the hot weather.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 01:36:47 PM »
I just liberally spread around some super phosphate 0-20-0 in the pond today while topping it off. Hopefully the roots that have escaped the pots will be able to absorb the nutrients and produce another flush of bloom.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline cfarm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 02:31:43 PM »
Sean, what's the latest time of year that you see blooms? Have you tried heating your display or is it too large for an aquarium heater to keep up?

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 02:54:53 PM »
Lol.  No, I don't have to much monitor the water temps, if it is after the first of May and before T'giving, I can be pretty sure the water temps are in at least the mid-90's as my ponds are all in the wide open and get full FL sunrise/sunset.  Largely because of the discussion on this thread, I have been checking the temp in my seedling ponds and it is reaching 98-100 each day.  I figure if recently germinated sprouts can take the heat, it is a cake walk for the big 'uns and the sprouts are starting to float their first pads.<g>  And anything floating in the water is because I need to spray for China mark moths.

By and large my stock gets fed once, the idea being they will either be sold before they get hungry or I want to starve them anyway so they'll produce propagation tubers.  My "pets" I begin feeding weekly with 'pondtabb plus' starting two or three weeks after they are potted up with the Osmocote.

I've never tried the Job's as the Pontabbs work dandy and are substantially cheaper.

Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2006, 03:26:32 PM »
Hi cfarm,

I see blooms well into December and January. They stop during the colderst months of February and March and start back up in April for me.

I do heat my water in the winter and have a big titanium heater to do the job, (photo attached).
The heater helps kick start the season. I do not need the heater for over wintering purposes since I do not get ice on my pond, but it does increase my season substantially.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 05:54:21 PM »
Wow, Sean. I want that!!!  (8:-)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline judyb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 06:04:21 PM »
Here in Phoenix we have had a hot summer (no big surprise). 116 degrees in June. 108 or so now. Low temps well over 80. My tropical lilies thrive as the summer goes on. Earlier in the summer I couldn't keep hyacinths alive. They simply yellowed and shrivelled with no new growth. Now the hyacinths have had a new lease on life, lots of new growth and they are green.  I've done nothing to make a difference.  Midnight doesn't like the hot air but its leaves and roots love the warm water. Other of my tropicals simply love the summer.  I did find Anne Emmet a new home in a cooler climate because her flowers couldn't take the hot air, but the plant grew very well.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"