Author Topic: Moptop Fodder  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Moptop Fodder
« on: May 04, 2007, 02:27:24 PM »
I'm still on the quest for a rainbow of moptopped lilies and I hope this seedling will help in the search for a Green Smoke type. 

I have a theory that it will be easier to accomplish if the parent lily is a solid color you want, rather than the combination of colors as in Green Smoke that create the illusion.  My color checker tells me that if anything, the lily in the picture is more on the green side in real life.

Tomorrow I expect the bloom to open that I hope will be the ticket to the autumn color moptop.

All sounds good in theory but I know that in the final analysis...it is a matter of luck.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Moptop Fodder
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 07:28:48 PM »
Craig what do you consider a "moptopped" lily?

When you say moptopped, I'm thinking of Ostara?

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 12:35:20 PM »
Hi Bonnie,

Moptop was coined by a forum member as a disparaging description of my lilies with a feathery center...like Ostara, Embers, Serenade, but would also include Midnight and King of Siam.  I kinda liked the term, so use it as sort of a badge of honor.<g>

This is the seedling I hope will lead eventually to an autumn moptop.  Again, nothing but big talk at the moment because honestly I never know what will lead to what.

Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »
I love mop tops!   Would love to have one in every color combination.   Green would just be so far out!! O0

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 01:18:37 PM »
I love the picotee on that autumn shade bloom. If that is a stable trait, I would love to acquire that lily some day Craig!  Just beautiful!

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »
It's a pretty lily with those fat petals and that coloring . . . hope you find the moptop you're looking for cuz I think your moptops are fabulous and when my husband dies and I cut down every tree in the yard . . . . . . well, you know. . . .

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 05:05:57 PM »
Another thing...it is easy to hybridize pretty lilies.   Even I can do that.   But to get a lily that is unique and different than others...that is something else.   It is so nice to look at a lily and know what it's name is because it stands apart from others.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Hi Bonnie,

Moptop was coined by a forum member as a disparaging description of my lilies with a feathery center...like Ostara, Embers, Serenade, but would also include Midnight and King of Siam.  I kinda liked the term, so use it as sort of a badge of honor.<g>

This is the seedling I hope will lead eventually to an autumn moptop.  Again, nothing but big talk at the moment because honestly I never know what will lead to what.

That's what I assumed but wanted to make sure instead of assuming.

I love mop tops!   Would love to have one in every color combination.   Green would just be so far out!! O0

I do too Marilyn!

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 04:58:05 AM »
The autumn colored bloom is a stunner!   O0 O0 O0 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 06:31:36 PM »
I agree, i really like the autumn colored plant. very unusual.

lou

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 07:30:24 PM »
I see nothing wrong with that bloom either. I would love to have one like it. I hope someday to start some seedlings like that. All of my seedlings are self pollinated.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"