Author Topic: Whoo Hooo it's Derby Day  (Read 1432 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Whoo Hooo it's Derby Day
« on: May 05, 2007, 10:41:15 AM »
I'm voting for Street Sense to break the jinx as the winner of the Breeder's Cup Juvenile Classic has never gone on to win the Kentucky Derby.

Wouldn't mind seeing Edgar Prado win on Scat Daddy though.

Lot of fund raising going on today in Barbaro's name for disabled jockeys and horse health research. His saddle fetched over $200,000 at auction for the Disabled Jockeys Fund. A record for a racing item. The gold plated mint julep cup fetched $22,000 for horse health research. Comes with a $1000 mint julep! Ice from the Bavarian Alps, sugar from Australia, mint from Ireland and Kentucky's premier aged Bourbon.

Nasty tasting stuff, I'll be having a Margarita.

The Barbaro documentary is on NBC and HDNBC tonight too. Supposed to be really good.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 10:48:08 AM by LeeAnne151 »
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Whoo Hooo it's Derby Day
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:08:53 PM »
I'm just looking forward to the Mint Juleps!!!  Got the silver cups out and washed them this morning!

The Early Times Mint Julep Recipe

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Sprigs of fresh mint
Crushed ice
Early Times Kentucky Whisky
Silver Julep Cups
Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Early Times Kentucky Whisky. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 02:04:02 PM »
Emeril adds Gran Marnier but even that lucious liqeuer could not cancel out the nasty taste of bourbon for me. I like bourbon flavored pecan pie, BBQ sauce or sauce on bread pudding but not bourbon itself.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 04:04:34 PM »
I was at the 105th running. My first mint juleps. Disgusting things, but the fifth starts to taste OK. It was one of the more memorable times in my life.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 05:06:18 PM »
I was at the 105th running. My first mint juleps. Disgusting things, but the fifth starts to taste OK. It was one of the more memorable times in my life.

Cheers,

Mike

It really depends on what bourbon you use and how much sugar you use as to how dreadful they taste.  I've been drinking bourbon for a long time, and as with so many other things, it's an acquired taste . . . . I prefer my eggnog with bourbon, and I love eggnog.  The better bourbons (more expensive) can be really good . . . . . a mint julep made with good bourbon is a good thing (and I wouldn't classify Early Times as a good bourbon.)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 06:14:55 PM »
My first bourbon experience -
1977, I am leaving South Africa, a farewell party at home for all my university mates. My mother has already married this Yank chap, and he is keeping bourbon in our bar for the times he visits.  We, in the colonies, drink only scotch, which we call whisky.
About 10 pm, I am bartending away, and a good friend of mine sidles up with "Mike, your whisky has gone bad". The taste was so unusual, and "off" compared to scotch, he thought it had sat on the self too long and spoiled.

Later we all had a good laugh - until the Derby when once again. bourbon happened in my life. Now I ask you, does 'Mint Julep' not conjure up images of a refreshing, frothy, green, type drink - as opposed to a glass of solid bourbon?

Still in recovery,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 05:43:44 AM »
Teresa,
What is your favorite Bourbon?  Mine is Makers Mark.  I'm actually a Makers Mark Ambassador, and have toured their distillery in Loretto Ky.  Very tasty stuff compared to Jim Beam etc.
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 08:05:29 AM »
I love Makers Mark and that's what I mostly drink . . . when I drink bourbon. 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 09:01:56 AM »
I made my one and only Mint Julep with Maker's Mark.

Steet Sense won. Whoo Hooo. It was a good race.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 03:47:29 PM »
Eeeeew Mint Julips.  My dad does some landscaping for the wife of the former T.W. Samuels, Sr. He was the owner of Makers Mark, he passed away several years ago. We have several bottle signed by him unopened.  But, Ms. Samuels sent some Mint Julip No Bake Cookies, yuck yuck yuck. 

Louisville seems so empty now that the Derby is over. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"