Author Topic: Are bullfrogs in a pond a bad thing?  (Read 2644 times)

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Are bullfrogs in a pond a bad thing?
« on: August 27, 2006, 10:41:23 AM »
I dug a pond last spring, a pretty small one.  It's only about 5' x 8', between 18" deep and 2 1/2 ' deep.  At first I had about a half dozen little leopard frogs move in, they were cute little guys.  But after 2-3 months they disappeared, and two bullfrogs appeared.  I suspect the bullfrogs bullied the leopard frogs away.  So far the bullfrogs are pretty small, one is about 4" and the other about 2".  I had been wondering what these bullfrogs might do to any baby fish that might appear (I have 4 shubunkins or comets, not sure which) next year.  I suspect the bullfrogs would eat the fish eggs, right?  But I don't know what to do to get rid of the bullfrogs; we have a creek nearby with DOZENS of bullfrogs in it.  I could relocate 24/7, but more would just keep coming back.  Any thoughts?  Suggestions?  Do I just grin and bear it?

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Are bullfrogs in a pond a bad thing?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »
All large frogs or toads have one in built instinct, if they see something wiggle, it's good eatings. Smaller species of amphibians, insects, mammals, birds, it's just another munchy

Bullfrogs eat anything that wiggles that they can fit in their mouth, I can well imagine they would go for small fish making a wiggling movement at the surface in shallow water.

When they see a movement they just throw themselves at it, a bit like a flying dumpster, anything that gets in the way is going to be chewed on... their jaws have very fine teeth making for quite a dastardly grip on whatever they connect with

Something I notice here, allsorts of frogs leap at any movement quite trigger happy... quite often dinging waterlily buds and chewing at them in the pursuit of wiggly fast food.

One way to reduce destructive numbers of bullfrogs is to go skulk about after dark with a flashlight and a large bag. Blinded by light you can sneak up to them slow and steady and grab them round the waist, which renders them quite passive and easy to bag. After that, what happens to the bag is left to your discretion

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 11:45:20 AM »
Thanks, Andy!  I guess I am not yet ready to bag and relocate.  Although I'm sure my dh would enjoy watching me try.   lol  If any future baby fish start to disappear though, I may rethink that.

Our leopard frogs stay out of the pond now that the bullfrogs have moved in, but I still see them nabbing prey in the plants around the pond.  I swear my jaw dropped a few weeks ago, because I saw one of them attempt to catch a baby snake, not much bigger than an earthworm.  They rolled and struggled briefly, and the snake quickly slithered off.  I was rather impressed by the bravery (stupidity?) of the leopard frog. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 02:43:36 PM »
This spring I relocated a very large bullfrog from my pond since last year I had one dine on the only two shubunkins I had.  After I relocated the bullie into the creek, he never came back.  I do have some large frogs now, and I don't know if they are bullfrogs or green leopards.  My skills at frog identification leave a lot to be desired...but nothing has come up missing as of yet.  Comets are fairly fast, even though mine are very curious and nosey and poke around at the frogs quite a bit.   :D

LuAnn
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 04:13:40 PM »
The bullfrogs most likely ate the leopard frogs!

Whether or not bullfrogs in your pond is a bad thing depends on where you live and what you are using your pond for. Many people love their bullfrogs.

Bullfrogs are considered problem animals that eat and out comptete natives in many areas. They have been spread around the world and are resisting efforts at control.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 05:42:38 PM »
Bullfrogs get a bad rap sometimes. Yes, they eat other frogs. Do they eat fish? I've never seen it. The ones that Barb has are not any worries right now. If you provide plenty of insects, they won't munch on the fish. Buy crickets and try to feed them. A peace offering of sorts.

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 04:54:00 AM »
The bullfrogs most likely ate the leopard frogs!

:o  I never considered that!  Although, I don't think they are big enough at this point.  We do have plenty of crickets and beetles/bugs/creepycrawlies, so hopefully the bullfrogs will be satisfied for the moment.  Thank you for the suggestion Scott, I suppose I am worrying too early in the game.  My fish might not even lay eggs next year.  I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 08:44:01 AM »
Scott,

Just because you have not seen it does not preclude its happening.  I HAVE seen bullfrogs eat koi fry.  They also will eat birds.   As long as it can be swallowed, nothing is out of consideration to a bullfrog.  Feed crickets to a bullfrog? Perhaps there have been instances of this happening, but bullfrogs are usually very skitterish creatures disappearing at the first step of an intruder.  Besides, bullfrogs are extermely capable of feeding themselves.  I have an acre of land with 9 water impoundments and (you guessed it) 9 bullfrogs in attendance.  I listen to them with pleasure every summer night, but mourn the loss of the many small koi (up to 7 inches) I have lost to the frogs.
Conclusion:  if you are willing to accept the negative aspects of bullfrogs in order to enjoy their nightly serenades (as am I) leave them be.  If not, move them out.

Offline charlotteda

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Charlottes Website
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 11:26:50 AM »
Andrew... I dont know about that flashlight thing... ;D

I've been stalking a large bullfrog near my pond for a week..he always gets into the pond before I can get close enough to grab him... I must be doing something wrong.

charlotte
Charlotte

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 01:49:28 PM »
Lemme tell you about bull frogs. first of all, i love frogs, all kinds. however i had one  dude that would eat my goldies and i saw him with a large snake in his mouth. i saw him with a 5 ot 6 inch goldie with just the tail sticking out of his mouth. anything that they could put into their jaws is fair game.
well i took this guy for a ride to a swamp about a half mile away and in a few days, he was back. i then took him to a pond a few miles away and have not seen him since. here is his mug shot.

lou

Offline cfarm

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »
Dang, don't they have leash laws in your neck of the woods?? Any missing dogs or cats in your neighborhood?
  lol

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 02:24:37 PM »
Dang, don't they have leash laws in your neck of the woods?? Any missing dogs or cats in your neighborhood?
  lol

actually we were missing a local lawyer, however no loss.  @O@ @O@

lou

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 04:44:37 PM »
If you build it to be natural, then don't be suprized if nature moves in. If you don't want them to move in, then build you a nice round or rectangular fountain with no fish. Of course, if keep out the bullfrogs, then the herons, owls, hawks, and eagles will delight in their meal of fresh fish. You can correct nature, but it don't stay corrected. If you don't want them in your pond, put them in your plate.

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 05:01:39 PM »
I welcome hundreds of native Pacific Chorus Frogs to my ponds and garden but any bullfrog that shows up will be euthanized. They are not native to Oregon and are causing extinctions here. However, the chances of one showing up in my city yard, nowhere near a greenspace are very slim.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Gloria

• Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 05:19:18 PM »
Guess I've been lucky. I have a bull frog that has been in my pond for 2
years now and not one missing fish. :)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 05:48:53 PM »
A Bullfrog would eat an Elephant if it could.

BTW, I recently found out that Chipmunks eat frogs. Probably smaller frogs, but I wouldn't rule them out. Chipmunks, Snakes, Herons, Hawks, Owls... frogs are a favorite food for many. Of course, frogs have their favorite foods as well.

I love frogs. I am convinced that it is the SAME Bullfrog that I relocate every fall. Yet somehow, he is back in my pond come spring!

See you in spring-

Is is spring already?

I was pretty mad when my Bullfrog went after a Hummingbird. Luckily, the Hummer was way too quick for the frog.

Adore Leopard frogs. I never see them here anymore.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 09:30:19 AM »
Poor butterfly!   :-\  The pics of bullfrogs you guys are posting are pretty neat.  I'm not ready to kiss one, though! 

Yesterday we had four small bullfrogs in and around my pond, and one huge Leopard frog.  I do think there will come a time in the next year or so that I will have to start relocating any big bullfrogs.  From some of these stories, it doesn't sound like big bullfrogs in MY pond will be a good thing.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"