Author Topic: My Baby Wakin's  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My Baby Wakin's
« on: May 08, 2007, 05:43:40 PM »
Well, after a long winter I decided to turn some free.   ;D The first four were doing fine,  @O@  swimming with the big boys and girls. O0  Sizes varied, a few 2 inch,  mostly 1 1/2" some a little smaller.  o(  So, I decided   :thinking: I would add some more babies to the Wakin pond.  :-\  Big mistake,   {nono} big,  {nono} big mistake  {nono} .  Some of the bigger Waking decided to have fresh shushi  >:(- .  I know they got one for sure,  :swear:   :'(  caught 15, 2 MIA,  :missing: I had put 18 into the pond.  I had one that was solid white, he's one of the MIA's.  >:(  I do hope the other 2 are hiding well   :search:.  Guess, they weren't ready for the big boys and girls   o( .  I'll wait until there are more lily pads for them to hide  and get a little bigger.  ;D Glad I didn't turn all of them loose.  :no: You should have seen us grabbing nets as fast as we could. 

I might have to make something for them to be in, I want them outside so they will grow better.  o(

:'( Kim :cry:

Then I come inside and the house is hot, go to the ac registers and its blowing, but not cold air.  :blowup:  Think I better hurry up and go to bed before something else goes wrong.  ::)  ::)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 05:48:42 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Baby Wakin's
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 06:15:25 PM »
Oh so sorry Kim. :hug:

I would have thought they would have been just fine and the others wouldn't bother them but apparently not. >:(-

They are sooooooooo cute. 8-)~

How's the new ones?

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 06:17:37 PM »
They're absolutely GREAT!  Love 'em.

Kim

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Kim at that size the adults do not usually eat the little ones. It is more likely the filter sucked them in. I have been putting culls in with the big boys to be eaten and after an inch they purty much leave them alone. o(Unless you have a bad toby that has grown up in there your babies should be ok. but I have hear of having to get rid of adult fish that never outgrew bad habits. {:-P;;

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Kim.

The same thing happened the end of last summer to me.  I put some 2" midnight blue shubunkins in my main pond that I painstakenly raised all summer.

My 14" golden orfe ate every single one of them.   :blowup: :swear: :doh:  They were really cute.

They sell (if you can find them) for about $9 for a 4" specimen.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:43:12 PM »
It was definately an adult fish.  I saw it happen.   :o  Sucked it in like it was a wet noodle.  Pumps weren't even in the pond, he had them out cleaning them.

It just stinks don't it.  Reedman

Kim

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:01:25 AM »
Oh, what a shame!  They are so cute, too.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »
It was definately an adult fish.  I saw it happen.   :o  Sucked it in like it was a wet noodle.  Pumps weren't even in the pond, he had them out cleaning them.

It just stinks don't it.  Reedman

Kim

That does suck, and I get 15.00 per

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »
Gees you'd think they were big enough? At least you caught the most of the. Those little ones are adorable.  o(:-) o(:-)

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 03:09:34 PM »
My others were spawning today, but I didn't try to keep any of the eggs. 

Kim

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
  • With us since: 10/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 04:36:14 AM »
I'm so sorry! That must be so frustrating. But I'm glad you told us about it. I have a bunch of baby Wakin, which I have worked hard to get and raise. I probably would have put them in with the big guys at that size. I won't now. They will just have to stay in the horse trough for awhile. Thanks for the info!

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 04:41:03 AM »
I still haven't been able to find Wakins anywhere in my area. Did you order your originals from somewhere? I am thinking of ordering them online, but I'd prefer to have a first hand reference from someone who has already purchased from somewhere. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

:) Amanda
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 10:31:21 PM »
Your babies are beautiful.  So cute  :D

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 08:54:49 PM »

Kim

I sure wish you could ship eggs!!  I'd love to have some to raise.  I lost all my big wakins the end of last fall to some critter and the ones I have now aren't big enough yet.

Mary
Mary

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »
Kim,

How are the babies/ Any new pics?  o(:-)
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »
They're growing really good now.  I've been sticking my finger in the waterfalls and swirling it around and taking some string algae in, they love it.  Maybe with that being fresh natural food, its really boosting them.

Kim

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 09:52:53 AM »

Kim

I sure wish you could ship eggs!!  I'd love to have some to raise.  I lost all my big wakins the end of last fall to some critter and the ones I have now aren't big enough yet.

Mary

It's possible Mary. That's how I got my Wakin babies via Hyacinths. LOL Had a bunch of them,but down to about a dozen or so now. They are so cute.  o(:-)

Offline mystic dragonfly

• Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 08:38:23 AM »
Sure wish I had some of those type of plants !!  o(  I want baby wakins. o( o( o( o(
Your babies are the bomb! :redface:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"