Author Topic: Portable Generator  (Read 665 times)

Offline Jane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Portable Generator
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:34:19 AM »
Many would think this isn't a pond related question, but, it sure is to me and any others ponders that live in a hurricane prone area.  I live on the coast of NC (Hurricane Alley as it's called). I'm half a mile from the ocean so hurricanes are a real threat to me and my pond.  My koi are big boys now and really need that water flowing at all times.

I have a Generac 3500 generator now, only problem is I can't start it by myself, can't pull that stupid rope thing. DH used to always start it up, but, that's not an option now.  I need to get an electric start one. I'm looking at a GentronTM Pro Series 3500 watt, $399 and free shipping.  I saw it advertised at generatordepot.us.  Anyone have any input on this generator, manufacturer dependability or dealing with this site?

I'd prefer to buy locally, but, my area is rather remote.  Home Depot and Lowes are about my only choices and they don't have anything electric start in that price range.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Portable Generator
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:27:24 AM »
I can understand you having one.  Those pull things are sometimes really hard.  But reading this made me think back.......

One year, we had some severe storms that took out many trees, telephone poles, roofs etc....  We were without power for about 4 or 5 days, hot, humid and steamy out.  My neighbor was worried about my fish (so was I) and he had a generator he was using, he brought it over to us and hooked up my pond.  His house was hot and so was ours, so we hung out on my deck for hours watching the fish and the light he had hooked up to the generator.  It really helped the fish, and us pass the time.  After the first night, I used my brain hmmm, if I can hook up a light and a pump at the same time I can hook up a fan and the pump.  So, I would set a fan in a window and draw air through the house...my parents kept my kids during that time, because one has lung problems and really needed to be in the AC. I used my cell phone as an alarm clock for dh to go to work.   My parents wanted us to stay there, but I didn't want to leave my house unattended. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Jane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 02:43:54 PM »
Yes, they really come in handy.  The 3500 will run the pond, frig, tv, comps, freezer, lights and most important, a room AC. The heat and humidity after a hurricane is terrible.  I got rid of cable tv and got sattellite TV cause that will run if I have the generator to it. Gas stove so we won't go hungry.

Glad you guys weathered it out ok, a good attitute can really help after something like that.  :)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 05:47:19 PM »
Wish I had a clue . . . just happy to see you back here and posting every now and then! 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"