Author Topic: How to move a boulder without machinery?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How to move a boulder without machinery?
« on: May 10, 2007, 04:03:26 AM »
YIKES! They delivered my boulder yesterday, but could only get hte truck within about 7 feet of where I need the thing to be. Matt tried to move it last night (INSURANCE CARD AND PHONE IN MY HAND)......between the two of us prying it up and placing granite blocks under the lifted edge, we managed to move it about 7 inches in 2 hours!!  We put 2 long boards under it hoping it will slide better on those than trying to move it on the grass. Itg is so heavy that it is making huge indentations in the lawn. Of course it HAD to rain 3.38 inches yesterday! We can't get a tractor or the truck between the rock and the pond to help move it.

we're trying to remember every show on theories of building pyramids we've ever seen. I thought if we put round tubes under it then it could roll on those,  take the back one out and put it in front,but we don't have anything strong enough to support the weight without crushing.
Kathy

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How to move a boulder without machinery?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 04:17:26 AM »
Yikes! Yes If you can get polls under it it should work. That's how we moved my shed. Good luck. That's why I'm stuck with just rocks I can cary or en over end, We have a big hill to go up befor the pond.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 05:44:24 AM »
I had to have mine moved with a bobcat or something similar . . . . and it still left the lawn a mess.  DH was NOT happy.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
wow.. I sure do envy you having such a nice rock!

I moved a pretty good size one, not without tearing up yard but but using big spade bars. I had a helper and we both just keep prying underneath it, put a log or something big down under the spade and pull down it will roll up and ove.    Before that I had tried to roll it over to the pond on pipes.  We took 3 big steel pipes and put piece of plywood on it and tried to roll the rock over on that then roll it so far and take a pipe from the back and replace it in the front as you rolll forward.. I think it might have worked had I not been on such unlevel ground but it was so  time consuming if ya had more pipes to roll the plywood on then you wouldnd have to stop and replace them so often.

tinkster

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 01:14:54 PM »
Ya Tinkster, that was what I thought. DH thought I was nuts. >:(-
We've been doign the prybars and shoving rocks underneath, it's really messing up the yard.

The neighbor says they have a guy coming with a bobcat to level some soil for them. They think I can get him to move it for me while he's here FOR FREE!!!! Oh I hope so! that would sure help!

I got this rock because I stopped to look for smaller ones for next to the new small falls and I spotted this gorgeous boulder! I sheepishly asked how much it was and the girl said "Oh it's kind of expensive....$40" then she said it would be $30 to deliver it. SOLD!!! I think it was probably supposed tobe $140! I'll post a pic when we get it into place and I plant my bamboo.
Kathy

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 06:00:24 PM »
If the Bobcat won't/can't move it, go to a home center and buy wood fence posts. They are round and solid.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 06:09:49 PM »
We don't have any rocks laying around THAT big, but it sure would be nice for some of you guys to take some rocks off of our hands...we farm, we're always picking up rocks and making rock piles to get them out of the fields...they tear up farm machinery! ::)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »
i HAVE SEEN BIG ROCKS HERE AT A NURSERY They asked for 600.00! I told them they were nuts
hOW DO YOU LIKE THIS ROCK?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 07:48:57 PM »
that is super jerry! did you make that?

tinskter

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 08:13:42 PM »
Jerry, that is a nice rock. How in the world did you get the water to fall off of it like that? "Falling Strands".  O0
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »
No Cyn, that is the famous" rock MM sat on in "River of No Return"  it is fiberglas.
The mere site of the rock gets eagle eye all glassy eyed.

The water falls like that because it does, just happened that way.  I do get awful string algae on the rock, so i tried this as a temporay thing to see if the algae will dry up.  It seems to be working.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 02:41:13 AM »
Scott- Fence posts are a great idea! If this guy doesn't move it, then we'll try that. Plus we could probably return them after ;) Oh that's really bad- I KNOW!!

Jerry- That rock is great!!! I have seen rocks that pricey here too, it's NUTS!! this one is aobut 40 inches long by 30 inches wide by 2 feet hihg, depending on which way it sits of course. I see your popst on the rock, how did you come to own it? I just made some fiberglass rocks, did you see them on the Faux rock thread? It does fine with the water I assume. I was wondering about that.

Kitty- We'd LOVE to take rocks off your hands. We have asked at some farms and they say they are going to use them, you drive by a year later and they are still sitting there. To bad your not close to me!!
Kathy

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 08:46:18 AM »
Here are just a few of the rocks I have moved.

I used three methods: a "Come-a-long" (8,000 lb cable winch puller)  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=543

A chain hoist  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2239

And an engine hoist.  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=7620

I also used along with the above, heavy wheeled carts capable of  moving 3,000 pounds.

To position these rocks, I used an overhead three point cable system attached to substantial trees.

Some of the boulders in the picture above weigh more than 2,000 pounds.

I moved and positioned all of them completely by myself, and I am 68 years old, so you can do it!
Rule number one:  Be Careful!

PS  I realize that the equipment I outlined above is not free (But it is cheap), but compared to what it would cost you to hire the job done, it is cheaper, gives you the satifaction of doing the job yourself, and will be available for you to use again and again in future years.  Or you can recoup your cash via a yard sale..

Offline seanmckinney

• Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 09:11:59 AM »
If you try Scott's fence post roller idea or any roller idea then it would probably be easier if you set the rock on planks that ran in the direction of travel, across the tops of rollers. If this rock is rough and not on a skid of planks it might 'fall' between rollers. 
BEFORE you move the rock to its final position is the area where the rock is to sit stable enough to take the weight of the rock?

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 07:45:26 PM »
John-
That is great looking! You are even more crazy than I am! haha!
Problem arises in that we don't have any trees in the area, and we can't get the truck or anything in between the pond and the rock. I am soooo hoping the neighbor's friend shows up tomorrow.

Sean-
we had the rock on some planks. Matt just took them out tonight hoping the bobcat shows up tomorrow. I'm keeping it back from the pond edge further than I had planned because fo the weight and the sandy soil. This thing is creating huge dips in the lawn just from sitting there. (Sod Matt just put in last year, you can imagine how thrilled he is with my rock!)
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 12:37:31 PM »
FINALLY!! Here it is in place!
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 12:38:59 PM »
We used 2x2 boards as levers and bricks. It took a few evenings. the bobcat still hasn't shown up to do the neighbor's dirt and i got sick of waiting! Now if it would only stop raining so I could plant the bamboo grove!
Kathy

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 01:56:09 PM »
Looks great- I bet you guys are sore!
Joey

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 04:40:42 PM »
Not really! I'm surprised too! We tried to let the lever do most of the work.
Wish I could get a better pic of that rock, it's really cool! It has quartz crystals and pyrite flecks in it and it's mostly granite.
Kathy

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 06:12:50 PM »
Looks great!  I think it was Archimedes who said, "Give me a long enough lever and i can move the world."  if I am wrong  someone will tell me.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 08:17:13 PM »
NOw thats a rock!!! no matter how good we get at making our own they wil never compare to that!

I have a few small ones brought home from NC where there rock is granite also and they are beautiful.  white?? glittering thingsy in them.

tinkster

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 08:31:09 PM »
Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."  or something like that. I was thinking along those lines when I read it had already been placed. Too many distractions going on ....Good job one and all looks good. Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 06:04:09 AM »
Guys-
If you ask Matt he will say it FELT like we moved the world, only I would request it be moved 6 inches to the left!  lol

The side I really liked didn't end up facing forward, but I'd be risking divorce if I mentioned it!!

He made me PROMISE no more big rocks. (fingers crossed behind my back,  in case I should come accross any more deals like this one! {:-P;;)
Kathy

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 07:29:05 AM »
Your rock looks great!!  Actually, we have some that I have often wondered it we could "pay" someone to come and get them...we have piles of them in certain places where we put them after removing them from the fields.  I found one the other day that actually looked like a coral fossil,,,it's sitting in the window {:-P;;  buy my houseplants. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"