Author Topic: Baby Jay  (Read 1479 times)

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Baby Jay
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:18:20 PM »

He was chirping for his mom and trying to fly. I hope he is some place safe for the night.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Baby Jay
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:20:23 PM »
What a sweet little bird,,,I always fret over baby birds, heck I fret over "baby" anything lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:31:29 PM »
Oh, what a darlin'.

The 3 babies that my neighbor and I were raising, 2 made it and are almost ready to fly.  She tried to let them go tonight and the one would just go up and sit on her shoulder.  I told her she has two birds now.  They think she's her mommy.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 08:07:30 PM »
Kay,
What a little cutie! My kids Preschool teachers have always made it a point to teach how evil the Blue Jay is (stealing other birds eggs). But I don't believe that. Like a Heron, they do what they are programmed to do by nature. Tagging any animal as "evil" is just wrong.

My dream is to find a baby Starling. I've heard such wonderful things about those birds, yet I've always been ambivalent because of their introduced/pest reputation. Turns out they make great pets!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 06:27:31 AM »
Kittyzee, I fret too. It was all I could do to not go out and scoop him up.
Kim, how wonderful that 2 made it. :) It sure sounds like they imprinted strongly. I bet they are cute..
Karen, the jays here are pretty aggressive but nothing like the mourning doves. They look so gentle but they bully all the other birds. They all manage to get food but the doves thrive because they are so aggressive. We have a female dove that has brought her two babies to the feeder this morning. All the others vacated the area. She's one mean old girl. We used to have starlings. The babies are so pretty, shiny feathers. No starlings since the grackles have started coming to the feeders. I'm not sure why, maybe because the grackles are so large and loud.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 06:49:23 AM »
He's just darling and what a terrific shot! 

We used to have a gross overpopulation of jays and they'd attack the cats unmercifully . . . then a few nice hawks moved in and now things are normal again.  I think Jays are neat just because they have such personality . . . but then I pretty much like all the birds in my yard . . .

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 07:37:37 AM »
I like all the birds but the grackles are the least favorite. I think one tore into my tortoise pen that I thought was bird proof and took one of my baby tortoises several years back. I was heartbroken. We have hawks here too but I hope they spare this little baby.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 09:43:11 AM »
How cute!  I've never seen a baby Jay.  We do get baby Cardinals, the parents bring them to our bird feeder once they are able to fly a little.  It's so funny, I see the parents getting the seeds, and then feeding the babies sitting in the tree.  LOL

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »
I guess he's in the hosta bed. His mom is bringing him seed..very cute little guy.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 03:43:14 PM »
Very cute and a great photo.  O0  We don't have Blue Jays here. We have Scrub Jays and Stellar's Jays which are both blue though. No Cardinals here either.

My kindergarten teacher taught us all a bunch of birds that don't live here. Don't know if she was from the Back East as we say here or if her materials were and she didn't know better.

Red Headed Woodpeckers, Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, Baltimore Orioles are three more I can remember that don't live here.

Starlings may make great pets and may be smart birds but they do kill Bluebirds as do English Sparrows.  :o
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 06:15:48 PM »
Great photo Kay.  We were just talking a few days ago about how none of us had ever seen a baby blue jay.  We have all kinds of birds in our yard and have at least glimpsed the babies of most of them but never the jays.  There are 2 pairs of jays nesting nearby, maybe this is the year we will get lucky.  Thanks for sharing.  emm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"