Author Topic: Can you help maybe I dentify this lily.  (Read 2714 times)

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can you help maybe I dentify this lily.
« on: May 14, 2007, 05:38:40 AM »
I am almost positive its Miami rose or Albert greenberg. It was left outside over winter. These are a couple of tubers I dug out of that full pot I posted a pic of. There are multuple crowns all over the tuber like Miami Rose does. I hope its not that Impress Goddess thing I am hoping  I got rid of all of them.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help maybe I dentify this lily.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:52:13 AM »
Well if its either miami rose or albert Greenburg....I would go with Albert....but, then it could also be Miami rose  {:-P;;  lol
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:32:27 AM »
Can't really see the tops of the bigger pads.   Miami Rose is variegated and Albert Greenberg is more flecked.

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 09:56:43 AM »
The pads are pretty small right now but they are popping up like mad. Thanks for the answers.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »
Albert Greenberg does not have that much variegation so if it is a choice of the two then it is Miami Rose.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 03:56:27 PM »
Thanks Sean. I was almost positive it was a Miami Rose since it gets kind of weedy. I pulled about 20 tubers out of that pot. each one has numerous crowns. Well I did take a couple of the tubers to Lawannas with me today and we took the pot of Empress out of the pond that I sent home with her and the leaves did not match. I guess I will know more when the leaves get bigger. I just did not want to pot up tons of trash.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 04:06:32 PM by gander »

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 06:22:47 PM »
TRASH...... what ya callin' trash Gary??

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 08:52:05 PM »
I think I agree with Gary on this.  ;) That Indian Goddess or Indian Princess or whatever it is... it's weird! The pads are giant compared to the itty bitty flowers. The pads are attractive, though.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 10:29:15 PM »
Hey, Gary....one man's trash is another man's treasure. I bet you would get dozens of mails form members willing to accept some of your 'trash' lilies. :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 10:49:38 AM »
Well I can write Miami Rose off the list. Its leaves have gotten a lot more green now. Still no buds. I have given a tone of this one away it had so many tubers. I sure hope it turns out to be something the people I gave it to will like.

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 10:56:45 AM »
I sure hope it does not turn out to be N. 'Nangkwaq' Blue. If it does I am going to be so upset . That lily was never supposed to be in my pond. I bought it as a green smoke. Its hard to get rid of.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 10:59:17 AM »
Looks like it could very well be Albert Greenburg.

Here's one of mine from a few years ago. Got it from Tammie. Look at the pads.

Karen

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 11:07:37 AM »
Yeah Karen thats what I am hoping for at this time. I have quite a few Alberts already. I just dont want a lily I dont like taking up space in my ponds. My space is already very crowded since I took out all the kiddie pools.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 06:11:32 PM »
Wow! that albert is gorgeous! guess I better put that one on my list.
Kathy

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 08:09:07 PM »
Gander,

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Albert Greenburg (IMHO) is one of the most beautiful lilies ever invented.  :)

I could look at that beauty for hours and hours.

Good luck! And keep us posted.
Karen

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »
Keep us posted! Albert is one of my favs too -- so will keep fingers crossed for you!

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 12:51:15 PM »
Well I finally got a bloom but coming out on the lily. I hate this. I left it out to freeze and it did not. I sat the pot out to dry out so I could reuse it. Well it rained and sprouted. I had hoped this was a lily I liked. Well it turns out that it is this. >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(- My cousin has been asking me if I had any extra blue lilies. I guess I can unload it on her ::) ::) ::) ::) She used to be my ponding buddy but she fell and broke her leg and hip going on three years ago and she still has to use crutches to get around.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 12:59:10 PM »
Eek!! I know how much you do NOT like Indian Goddess lilies!!!  Maybe if you can think of this image instead it might help.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:09:48 AM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 01:06:22 PM »
Any trash lily?  Send it my way  :clap: :worship:

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 02:10:18 PM »
Sorry 'bout that Gary but you don't need more lilies anyway! ;)

Pretty pix there Kat.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 02:41:58 PM »
I gotta say it!  I told you so!   lol  lol Yeah for me, I was right!  Sorry tho Gary... I'm fighting the same fight!  Darn things keep popping up everywhere!  I just send them to Lawanna!  lol  lol
Tammie

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »
All three lilies are like weeds here. The more they are ignored and mistreated the more tubers and new plants provided.  At least  Al and Miami Rose have beautiful flowers. I have a "purple Indian Goddess" at least that what it was called when I traded for it.  When you let the pot dry out, all you did was to incourage it. The second tropical I ever bought was Dir Moore ( from Rich Sacher's American Aquatic Gardens) 15 years ago.  The next spring by the middle of May nothing was happening in its pot. All my other lilies ahd returned nicely. I take the pot out of the pond and sit it by the shed. Two months later the soil was hard as a rock. I needed the pot for another lily. Being lazy I did not change the soil and stuck another lily in the pot.  A couple of weeks later I check the pot and here comes the Director.  I have overwintered Dir. Moore here in the ponds for 15 years now.

Did your Miami Rose return this year?
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 04:30:29 PM »
I gotta say it!  I told you so!   lol  lol Yeah for me, I was right!  Sorry tho Gary... I'm fighting the same fight!  Darn things keep popping up everywhere!  I just send them to Lawanna!  lol  lol
Tammie

Yeah thats where I saw my first one. I bought these from a local store real cheap and they said they were green smoke and albert greenberg. This one did not bloom last year that I remember and Mitchkin took the other one home. 

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 04:33:16 PM »
All three lilies are like weeds here. The more they are ignored and mistreated the more tubers and new plants provided.  At least  Al and Miami Rose have beautiful flowers. I have a "purple Indian Goddess" at least that what it was called when I traded for it.  When you let the pot dry out, all you did was to incourage it. The second tropical I ever bought was Dir Moore ( from Rich Sacher's American Aquatic Gardens) 15 years ago.  The next spring by the middle of May nothing was happening in its pot. All my other lilies ahd returned nicely. I take the pot out of the pond and sit it by the shed. Two months later the soil was hard as a rock. I needed the pot for another lily. Being lazy I did not change the soil and stuck another lily in the pot.  A couple of weeks later I check the pot and here comes the Director.  I have overwintered Dir. Moore here in the ponds for 15 years now.

Did your Miami Rose return this year?

Yeah I gots lots of Miami Rose but Lawanna kept them for me. Trops are not supposed to winter over here although I have quite a few that I left out that made it. None of the large  vivps made it but all the pots of babies and some seedlings wintered over.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 07:20:10 PM »
Oh Gander, I'm sorry.

I misspoke before when I said that Albert Greenburg was the greatest water lily ever "invented". From what I've read, it was actually a "chance seedling"! Keep it up, and you may get lots of "chance" seedlings in your own pond.  O0

Kat, your Afterglow is absolutely beautiful!
Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"