Author Topic: Which Slocum book would you recommend?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Which Slocum book would you recommend?
« on: May 16, 2007, 04:56:43 AM »
I am going to get one of the Slocum books I have been wanting, but only one- which one should it be?  The first one written in 96 with Perry and Robinson, or the latter published in 05?  My question is- is the more recent one more of an updated version with new hybrids included as well as hybrids included in the old book, or is the new book more of an addendum to the old book, with most information focused just on the new hybrids?  I realize that the first book contains alot of pond info in general, whereas the second mostly just focuses on the plants, but the lily information is really what I am buying for.  So, if I were to get just one, which one should it be?  Thanks for any suggestions..... :)
Joey

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Which Slocum book would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 07:23:28 AM »
This is the one I have. I sent someone some lilies and they sent me this.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:31:46 AM »
I have both but if I was to pick only one for waterlily info, I would go with the newest verson.

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 07:49:11 AM »
thanks guys  :)  Bonnie, does the first version have alot of other useful info (besides waterlilies) that the new book does not?  Thanks for your input- I will probably go with the new one.  Last year the old one was so much more expensive, but this year they are both about the same price for some reason... Thanks again
Joey

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 08:08:53 AM »
Yes the first version is a larger book and has more info.

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:09:47 AM »
I am so torn!  :D LOL Thanks for your advice though Bonnie  :)
Joey

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:24:12 AM »
What about the Encyclopedia of Water Garden Plants by Speicherts?  Is it better than the Slocum books?  I see that it includes more info on other aquatic plants, besides just lilies and lotuses.....
Joey

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »
I have lots of watergardening books, including both Slocum books. The first one may be more difficult to find, but I like it best. The newer one has a lot of newer hybrids, but you can see most of the new additions on www.victoria-adventure.org. I also have Masters "Encyclopedia of the Water Lily" (old book) and Nash's "Complete Guide to Water Garden Plants." I think one of the Slocum books plus the Nash book are pretty good books to have. Another interesting book with a little history about the Marliac and Monet is "Monet's Water Lilies" by Vivian Russell. If I recall correctly, Russell's book discusses the quest for a blue hardy. It's reasonably priced too!

Monet's Water Lilies:  http://www.amazon.com/Monets-Water-Lilies-Vivian-Russell/dp/0821225537/ref=sr_1_1/103-4852201-2140625?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179351100&sr=8-1

Complete Guide to Water Garden Plants:  http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Water-Garden-Plants/dp/1402709544/ref=sr_1_3/103-4852201-2140625?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179351150&sr=1-3

Older Slocum book -- wow, as low as $19!!  http://www.amazon.com/Water-Gardening-Lilies-Lotuses/dp/0881923354/ref=sr_1_2/103-4852201-2140625?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179351276&sr=1-2

I have that encyclopedia by the Speicherts too, and I don't think it really covers anything more than you can get from the above mentioned books and the Victoria-Adventure website.
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 02:43:49 PM »
Wow- thank you for all the great information Jessica  :)  I noticed the old Slocum book was really expensive last year, but this year it is pretty cheap for some reason.  I was leaning toward the Speicherts encyclopedia, but I think I will go with one of the Slocum books then.  Thanks for the great suggestions- I am going to check out the Monet book by Russell also now.  I have the Complete Guide to Water Garden Plants by Nash- I agree it is a very good one.  I look at it more than any of my others- along with Nash's Pond Doctor book.  Thanks again for your feedback Jessica.   O0
Joey

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 03:44:34 PM »
That's a GREAT price on Perry's book!

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 03:59:27 PM »
Joey, you are very welcome. I think I paid $35 for a used copy of Slocum about 5 years ago when they were going for about $75 regularly. At the price on amazon, you could probably go ahead and get both! That nash book is great--I think Bonnie and I talked about how much we both liked it a few years ago. Also, check overstock.com. They usually have books about 10% less than amazon (if you're buying a new book) and have flat rate shipping. www.aaabooksearch.com is another good comparisson shopper that has both new and used. There are usually $10 off coupons for alibris.com avaiable. Check www.naughtycodes.com for tons of coupon codes for online shopping. Naughty codes sound bad, but it isn't. Glad I could help! :)
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 05:49:55 PM »
Thanks again both  :)  Glad to hear your replies, as I finally made a decision earlier and already ordered the old Slocum book.  Can't wait to get it!  Last year the cheapest I could find it was $59.  I still plan on buying the new slocum book as well, as soon as I have some more extra cash  ;)  I figured the newer one would still be widely available and reasonably priced in the near future, whereas I had better snatch up the old book now at under $20!  Thanks again  :)
Joey

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 08:01:59 PM »
I remember Craig saying something about the speichert book, said it was full of inconsistencies. naturally it was right after
I purchased it. I like the book but double check everything.
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 04:54:32 AM »
I will keep that in mind Andy- thanks for letting me know that!  :)
Joey

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"