Author Topic: UPDATE....back from doc.......All you medical people....need your help here  (Read 4420 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Late last night and today my feet have been swollen. I've been working at a garden center for the past month. I walk anywhere from 3-5.9 miles a day while there. My medical history briefly........my thyroid 'petered out' as my dr. told me a couple years ago. I am on meds for that and since that happened I am on high blood pressure meds also. Dr. said the thyroid sends all sorts of things out of whack, including blood pressure, never had BP problems before the thyroid problems.
Ideas, what to do (I know I know.....call the dr......but I hate to call the dr. unless something is a real problem.)
Thanks,
Cath
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:49:48 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: All you medical people....need your help here
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:59:56 PM »
Cath, CALL the DR  No kidding, we are talking about your life here.  Swelling can mean many things,including a clot.  Or just edema, but you need to know the reason.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 08:59:35 AM »
Call the doc! It sounds like it could be edema but that needs to be addressed. Your heart may not be pumping adequately. There could be some other reasons for it but bottom line is you need to take care of it. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:08:58 AM »
It's unanimous. Call the doctor. When there is swelling, it's a symptom that indicates something is wrong. Listen to your body, don't ignore it. Sometimes the sooner something is diagnosed and treated, the more quickly it will be cured.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
Ok, oK. I hate taking the time to run to the dr. for something only to be told it's nothing. So I am bad about waiting things out. I was hoping one of you guys would say that this type of thing is not unusual, that it's just all the extra walking and being on my feet for many hours a day, which I'm not used to.
I hate getting older and having weird problems. They make me feel even older than I am. :)
Cath
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:53:07 AM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:09:14 AM »
Join the club Cath.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 10:16:12 AM »
Esther,
  Only by kicking and fighting each step of the way. ;D
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:48:29 AM »
Yeah it's not unusual, but neither is croaking! {nono}
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »
Talk to your Doc!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 11:51:33 AM »
The nurse is going to call me back soon.
UPDATE.........Ok my caring friends. I have an 11:30 appt. tomorrow. Said this is most likely from all the extra walking but will make sure and figure out what to do.
Cath
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 12:30:09 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 12:46:22 PM »
Even if it's nothing at all, you are doing the right thing!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 02:04:01 PM »
Cath you do need to see a Dr. so glad you are going.   
They might suggest a water pill and laying with your feet above your heart every night for awhile.

Take Care of Yourself!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
Yup Bonnie that is what I thought but there is a reason she needs a water pill. Better to have it diagnosed right away so if there is something she can do to help the situation, she'll do it or we'll get on her case. Right???

Oh and Cath, don't waste your energy kicking and screaming. If something is wrong you'll need all the energy you can get to fight the thing. If I remember from past experience, it didn't make any difference in the end when I kicked and screamed. I just got tired sooner and nothing changed because of all my racket.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 04:22:03 PM »
And I thought it was only guys who were reluctant to call their doctor.....  I need to make an appointment as well but every time I go he ends up saying "Bend Over" and then sticking his finger you know where.....  or poking it in another private area and asking me to cough.  God must have a great sense of humor if that is the only way doctors can discern certain medical conditions.....

I trust that if the swollen feet are symptoms of diabetes or something else then hopefully it was caught early enough for effective treatment. 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 04:32:43 PM »
Mikey, Us ladies feel so sorry for you men.......... {:-P;; NOT ::)

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 08:19:35 PM »
Cath, you definitely did the right thing by calling the Dr. Get it done, no more worry!

Mikey, Us ladies feel so sorry for you men.......... {:-P;; NOT ::)

Ha Ha. Nope, the guys don't have nothin on the gals. We women know all about Dr's poking here and there... while pregnant, in labor...  {:-P;;

Reminds me of a joke.  :)

The doctor informed the pregnant woman that there was a new medication. This new medication would take away all the child-bearing pain of labor from the woman and instill it on the man.
The husband said "Of course! I'm game, if it will take away some of the pain of childbirth from my wonderful wife!"

So, the woman goes into labor and the doctor judiciously gives the medication. The woman experiences labor without any pain, and the man does not appear in any pain as well. The doctor increases the dose. Still, the woman and the husband feel no pain. The Dr increases the dose yet again, yet still no pain from the woman or the man.

A healthy baby is born. The woman and the man bring their new baby home.

They find the mailman dead on the porch.  ;D
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 08:35:34 PM »
You guys are way too funny!!  :)
My son's school had an honor's banquet tonight for the kids on the honor roll. I had the thought this afternoon that I better slip some shoes on to see if I could. Good thing I did because I ended up having to run (Actually I drove  ;D) to Payless and buying some shoes in a bigger size than I actually wear that I could get my feet in to. Now when my foot is its normal size again I have some nice free sandals for anyone who wears a size 6.

Bonnie, the last couple of nights I have elevated my feet. However, It's nearly impossible for me to get to sleep laying on my back. I am deaf in my right ear from a childhood illness. I always sleep on my left (hearing side) because it blocks ALL noise and I drop off in the snap of a finger. With this being a habit for so many years I eventually gave up and turned to my side both nights. I still tried to keep my feet higher but have you ever tried to keep your feet raised while laying on your side?  :D
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 06:52:07 AM »
So, have you been to the Dr. yet? {nono} {nono} {nono}
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 08:14:21 AM »
11:30AM today Jerry.
zone 5b

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 08:17:25 AM »
Cath,
Please let us know what the Doc says.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 08:23:29 AM »
Ok.
You guys are all so caring. I LOVE this place!! o(:-)
One of my favorite nurseries is close to the dr. office so of course I'll have to stop there when done. :) But I'll post as soon as I get home.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 08:52:31 AM »
Good Cath. God just heard about you again. I asked Him to make it something simple and to give you patience and understanding.

Funny story Karen.

Hey, I wear 5 1/2 or 6. I'll pay for them if they are something I would wear. Got a picture?

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 08:59:36 AM »
Thank you Esther.
They are slip on black sandals with 2 thick straps across the foot. These are all I have that my foot will fit in right now, besides my messy work Crocs.....didn't think those would look good for the banquet last night.
I'll try to send you a pic. If you like them they're yours once my foot is back to normal size.  :) They will not have been worn much, banquet and dr. appt. probably. I never have shoes on when I'm home. Missouri blood from both parent's side and they always said their 'neck of the woods rarely wore shoes'. Guess I have lots of their 'neck of the woods' blood in me. ;D
Cath
zone 5b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 09:27:47 AM »
Raise your feet up on the back of the couch while watching TV after dinner, I remember my mother doing this for years to help her varicose veins.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
I'm back from my appt.
Ok, my dr. feels this is because of all the extra walking (which caused edema) I've been doing compared to what I did daily before starting the job at the garden center (I am not a couch potato, but do tons more walking at this job than I normally did in a day before I started working.)
Plus, she (dr.) thinks there can be some other pieces to this too. The pharmacist took it upon him self to give me a generic for my blood pressure med last time I refilled it, she said absolutely not. The guy didn't ask beforehand just told me what he had done when I went to pick it up. Dr. said sometimes generic BP meds can have different affects than the name brand so she said insist when I call in a refill that it be the name brand. Plus, as I said, my thyroid stopped functioning a couple years ago, she had a new set of bloodwork done while I was there. She said it may be that she needs to change the thyroid med since I've been on the same one for quite some time. So with all of these factored in she had the bloodwork done, gave me a water pill for a while, cut my BP med in half (because she said the water pill she gave me for now will lower my BP some also so she didn't want to have me on to much) and said rest my feet and legs when I can at home but enjoy working because walking will not harm anything. Yippee!!!!! I love this job plus, I get a discount on my flowers. @O@
Well, now I'm feeling very decrepid (SP) I tell you....when your thyroid goes caput it certainly affects a lot of things. Who knew??!!! I certainly didn't.
And I also feel like an old lady who has so many ails. Never wanted to be there. ;D I'm actually not that old but I feel like it now.
Thanks to all of you for being so caring and insistant. You are the best!!!!
Cath
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:56:35 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
Well, I am glad to hear that it was nothing serious!!

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
Now you can breath easier.  For Pharmacist to perscribe is very Verbotten!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
Well good. It sounds relatively minor. My X had thyroid cancer so it was removed. Once a year he had to gradually go off the synthroid and one week be totally off it so they could test him. So I vaguely know the types of things that low thyroid affects. After all it has been 27 years ago and I don't remember so well.  It was a lot like a woman being pregnant, grouchy, water retention, etc. So maybe the thyroid has had some affect on you. At least the doctor is on the problem and getting you back on track.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
Grouchy??? I'm never grouchy!  :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Jane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I wouldn't doubt if the bp pills the pharmacist gave you are to blame.  I also take bp pills.  Most of bp pills, if not all, contain HCTZ which is simply, a water pill.  So when you said feet were swelling I wondered how that could be with you already taking HCTZ? 

Glad you went and doc is updating your scripts.  :)

Good luck.  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"