Author Topic: Spring Garden Tour Photos  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Spring Garden Tour Photos
« on: May 17, 2007, 11:12:45 AM »
On May 5th we opened our yards up for a Spring Garden Tour.  200-300 people visited.  We were too tired....and busy to take photos at the time.  Then we took off for a week to North Carolina and returned home yesterday afternoon.  Some things are still in bloom, although badly in need of dead-heading.  I took these photos this morning.  Why can't it look like this in the winter also?.......

Photo from just before the garden tour.  Most of the roses are now in between blooms

Columbine

Corncockle - One of my favorites

Yesterday Today & Tomorrow and Abutalon

Orchid

Salvia

Tree philodendrum

Abyssinian banana

Asian poppies

Brazilian justicia

Queen Ann's Lace

Datura

Pond Spider Lily

Amaryllis

Penstemon

Pentas

Gaillardia

Brass Buttons.  This drought tolerant groundcover looked great about 2-3 weeks ago but now many of the flowers have gone to seed

Giant Reed Grass

Columbine

Mexican Hat

Royal Ensign
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Garden Tour Photos
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:41:06 AM »
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.
It ought to be illegal to have so many great things in one garden! I pity the people who were visited next in line after you.

Beyond words Mike.

I just got a Brazilian Justicia at the Pasadena Farmers Market two weeks ago. They stressed shade, but others said it took some sun. Mine gets afternoon sun, and is showing a bit of crisping up - should I move it, or can it acclimatize do you think?

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »
The tour wasn't a competition, although most participants try to put their best foot forward.  Thanks for the compliment but I know from having attended this tour for several years that there are several gardens that put mine ot shame.  Several are simply breath-taking.

I just got a Brazilian Justicia at the Pasadena Farmers Market two weeks ago. They stressed shade, but others said it took some sun. Mine gets afternoon sun, and is showing a bit of crisping up - should I move it, or can it acclimatize do you think?
For your location I suggest morning sun only.  The afternoon sun is the most damaging in our zone.  The one in the photo is shaded by my avocado tree and it is reaching out for more light.  I also have one in full sun.......only because my plumeria and mango died from the freeze, and it does okay in full sun but I suspect it will get a little toasted come August.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 12:54:03 PM »
Mike W. said it all!  Wow! O0 O0 O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »
So BEAUTIFUL!!!

I can't believe some of your plants are growing so so well in our sun.  Absolutely WOW!!!

Smile!
Annette

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:50:24 PM »
Wow Mikey, Your gardens are just stunningly beautiful!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 04:52:37 PM »
Beautiful pictures, beautiful gardens O0

I really like all of your brickwork and fence.  Many of the plants I am unfamiliar with, I especially love the last one.  Thanks for posting the pics.

Karen

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 06:01:50 PM »
Many of the plants I am unfamiliar with, I especially love the last one.
I had 200 plant markers I made up for the garden tour.  However, the one I had made up for the Royal Ensign was difficult to see and of course that is the plant people kept asking me the name of.  The flower in the photo was a Royal Ensign that was in a pot in the front patio and after perhaps the 4th, "What's the name of this?", I finally made up another plant marker for it and referred people to the marker in the pot.  I could remember the common name but I have difficulty remembering the botanic name.

We relandscaped the front yard in 2005 and the job was finished that fall.  I paid a professional to do the brickwork but I did the picket fence between the columns.  I started planting in the front yard in the fall of 2005, thus many of the plants are still young and I am constantly moving them around.

Joyce is an expert on the importance of planting aesthetics relative to texture, color combinations and foliage combinations etc. and I have learned a lot from her and I still have much to learn.  Whenever she posts photos I take note of the layout of her plants.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »
Your gardens are  stunning!  I particularly love the blue bedder.  Was doing a search on the web and seems its a annual?  Does it reseed itself and easy to grow from seeds?  IF so I am gonna get me some of those seeds!

tinkster

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 06:08:06 PM »
mickey... my plants/shrubs are moved so much they have an identity crisis... I am so trying to do the texture color combinations to and finding it very difficult.   I just have a few things though, starting out sure is difficult :)

tinkster

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 06:32:10 PM »
Oh my, how gorgeous!  I recognize a few of your plants that even grow here, but it's such a treat to see tropical beauties that grow in your yards there that we can't even begin to grow unless we have greenhouses--which I do not.  :(  I have always loved the look of a cottage garden, such planning goes into a garden to make it look like it "happened" on its own! o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 06:54:37 PM »
Your yard is amazing, spectacular!  Words really can't describe what I'm seeing... 8-)~.  They should feature your house in better homes and gardens.  Beautiful.

Kim
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 07:00:23 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 08:15:32 PM »
Thanks guys for your compliments.  The people on the tour seemed to enjoy it also.  The main problem with participating in a garden tour is that you don't get to see the other gardens that are being shown that day. 

I particularly love the blue bedder.  Was doing a search on the web and seems its a annual?  Does it reseed itself and easy to grow from seeds?
Tinkster: Yes, it's an annual.  This is my first try with this plant and thus I don't know about re-seeding.  I mulch so much in this area of the garden that annuals don't tend to re-seed because of the mulch.  I took the photo with the name because I liked the plant and wanted to remind me to collect seeds and/or look to buy the plant again next spring. 

Offline Argos5

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 11:06:29 PM »
Looks fantastic...it must be very satisfying when your efforts produce such a beautiful garden.

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 03:20:38 AM »
Mikey, that is one of the prettiest gardens I've seen.  How long did it take you to bring it to that standard... I mean, was this a post retirement project or have you always been such an expert in the garden?  Do you have a greenhouse?  Is that table and chairs in your front garden... and do people really sit out front in America (you don't ever see that in the UK... people are too private).

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 08:07:38 AM »
Kaz: Yes, that is a patio and chairs out front which is unusual for this area but I saw where someone else had done something similar and I liked the look.  I think it is more of a southern thing where folks sit out on their front porch but I'm not sure since I have never lived in the south.  Most new homes likely don't have a front porch suitable for people to sit and relax.  Someone from the South reading this can answer better. 

I sit out front every morning and enjoy a cup of coffee and feed the Blue Jays peanuts.  Humming birds are daily visitors and once it warms up more Monarch butterflies will be daily visitors as well.  In the evening we sometimes have a fire going in a small fire pit.  Since it was built I have met many of my neighbors who live further down the street who have stopped by to chat.  I designed the front yard hardscape and paid a mason to do the brickwork.  I did the picket fence.  The work was finished in the fall of 2005, so the front garden is pretty young.  I retired at the end of 2004 so I have plenty of time to tend to things.  I have no greenhouse.  This last winter was unusually cold, record breaking cold, but normally we have mild winters here with only an occasional light frost.  It seldom drops below 40 degrees in the winter..... I'm not sure what that is in celsius...

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 08:16:45 AM »
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!  Your gardens are fabulous Mikey!  You have an excellent eye for colour and form, everything looks so good!  And what a pretty house too!  emm

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 12:02:12 PM »
 O0  Just fabulous!  @O@

I'm with those in the UK, I prefer to be private in my garden. I'd plant a tall hedge all the way around the front if Bob would let me. I hate feeling like I am on display.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:57:08 AM by LeeAnne151 »
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 01:17:25 PM »
Absolutely breathe taking .......would love to have something like that.

Offline Kareen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 03:53:32 PM »
Awesome  garden @O@ , I love your color choices ..a great mix!!! Your Queen Anns Lace threw me though, I know that as Ammi Majus which is different from our QAL here in the northeast. A friend grew  yours last year as an annual and it was beautiful .
 I also agree that it is awful not to see the other gardens that are open when yours are. We tried here to visit those the day before but it really didin't work well. Kareen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"