Author Topic: HF pond light re-done to low voltage landscape light transformer  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I re-did my HF pond lights so that I could connect them to a low voltage timer.

Here is how I did it:

1) Start with the basic HF light set up. Toss the transformer--you won't need it again.

2) Clip off the end of the light that plugs into the transformer. Strip the ends of the wires.

3) Put connectors on the ends of the wires. My particular transformer needed these O-type ends.

Just for safety sake, I have no other lights hooked up to the transformer other than pond lights, and I have the transformer plugged into GFCI

Offline WV Kim

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: HF pond light re-done to low voltage landscape light transformer
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:03:14 PM »
Jennie,

Thanks for posting this demo! 

Did you put anything around the wire and the tip you added?
I am thinking of the black tape I see my husband use.

I do believe I can do this! I am going to put 3 lights on one transformer for my pond. I do understand to use enough watts for the lights. But it will be great to have them on one timer and my other lights around the pond on another!

I am really tired of unplugging them and I even bought a timer for out doors but I could not get all 3 plugged in on it. And one summer was the limit for it.

So YES!  I am excited!
Thanks!!!!
Kim :)
Zone 5b

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »
jeanie !
fantastic little mod there !

just a little word or warning on those Harbor Freight lights.
u get what you pay for.

I used several back in the day in 3 ponds.
I thought.. "wow !!! 10 bucks !! can't beat it !"
they push out the light fine... but then... the trouble starts !
the intensity starts to wane..... the plastic lens cover becomes discolored and warped... lights leak... corrosion on bulb and pins.... BLAP !

Lights worked for maybe 8-9months...then nothing.  Don't feel like replacing lights yearly.... ;)

good luck ;)

c
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 04:19:13 AM »
So sorry that it has taken so long to come back here! 

Kim - No, I didn't put anything around the connector. 

SL - This is one of the few times that it is a benefit to live in the Great White North.  The lights are only in service for my very short summer.  I pull them at the end of the season.  They last a lot longer then.  One feeling I have is that the price for the majority of pond-related items is seriously inflated.  I am simply not willing to pay the price that most vendors want for pond lighting.  It is ridiculous.  When they get resonable about pricing, I will be more willing to buy.  At this rate, I could do HF lights and stick a new one out there when the old one git it for 10 years and pay less than many lights cost. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"