Author Topic: Excercise Thread  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Excercise Thread
« on: August 30, 2006, 08:23:58 AM »
Let's start a new excercise thread - like Bart's on the old forum.  Everyone tell what you're doing and how it's going and we'll all offer support to each other.

I started back on my walking routine when the girls started back to school.  I'm not walking every day yet, or as far as I was last year.  I'm up to 3 days a week and about 3 miles each time.  Going to try to work up to 5 days a week and 5 miles a day.  It's hard getting back into it after taking several months off.

Bart are you still working out?

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Excercise Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 08:34:33 AM »
A mere 2 to 3 miles daily here ,and on a treadmill at the "Y" I keep a radio glued to my head.
Some weight resistance too, but sore back has ended that for now.
Hopefully the soreness will pass. The young body builders do a lot more than i do, but when it comes to leg presses I am very, very good.  My guess is it's 30 years of basketball.
I have been doing this for the past 30 years.  I ought to be Mr. America by now.
 A super annuated one!
Well maybe Mrs America!

See our Governor pictured!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 09:11:32 AM »
I haven't been doing anything while I was on vacation, but will be starting again today with the treadmill and weights.  I'll probably go easy on the weights since I haven't touched them in three weeks and it is easy to slide then over do it.

I have been doing a lot of walking on my holidays so I haven't been totally static.

Bart

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 09:16:12 AM »
It seems that once school started last week, our entire family landed with a tired thud on the sofa. The swimming, hiking, and other outdoor activities that we've been doing all summer just stopped.

We cleaned our deck and I cleaned a large carpet & 2 area rugs. Does that count? ;)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 09:22:36 AM »
Once I finish playing here I'm going for a brisk morning walk for about an hour.  It's overcast and cool, so I better be going before it burns off....

I hardly recognized the governator since I don't see him groping a good looking woman ::) ;)  Oh, that's right, he's since apologized for his bachelor days.....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 09:28:12 AM »
I got out of bed this morning, does that count?

On the real exercise front, I have almost uncovered my treadmill and weight set from all the baby stuff that we are garage saling in 2 weeks. And my weight loss buddy is moving back to BC from Ontario and will only be just over an hour away so we plan to get together every couple weeks with the kids and go for a hike until it snows.  Our plan is to tire out all the kids so that we can go scrapbook in peace and quiet :) We have our priorities you know ;)
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 10:24:47 AM »
I exercise at my health club about 3 times a week, usually doing step aerobics.  I wish I could go more often, but my 2 year old often prevents that.  And now he picked up a cold from the nursery there, so I won't be going anymore this week.  *sigh*

Speaking of Arnold...lol...

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 10:46:23 PM »
I started jogging again a couple months ago. It was very tough at first but Lucky seemed to really need the exercise and loved it. This week I finally enjoyed my runs for the first time. I use to love running but had gotten lazy the last few years. I quess having a pup that needed excercising got me going again and I'm very thankfull. I'm running about 4-6 miles three times a week. We just aquired another 6 month old puppy who also needs excercising. I can't take them both at the same time so I may have to go every day.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 02:20:13 AM »
I'm walking to work from the far away place that I have to park my car. But at least it's through the Christchurch Botanical Gardens. One of my favourite places! I really must remember to take my camera. The woodland display is just starting to come out. It's very beautiful!! And a great way to clear the mind at the end of the day.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 05:53:56 AM »
Karen we did get excercise this summer - lots of walking on the beach, family walks, etc.  It's just that I didn't get my regular walks - there just wasn't time in the schedule!

Maryvonne we need new pics of Lucky and I wanna see the new puppy too!  I tried running years ago and it hurt my ankles.  I know they say that you can burn as many calories walking as running, but I just don't believe it!

Viv have you lost weight since you started the new job?  Does the excercise make you feel more energetic?

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 07:54:04 AM »
I am walking to work now and then.
More now since it is cooling off.
A little over 1.5 miles each way.
I have lost over 50 pounds since New Years.
(almost 60!)

I also do floor excercises each night for my abs and butt.
Takes about a half hour. Reps. O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

mascot

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 08:47:49 AM »
A few years back I wasn't thrilled with how I was looking (body wise, the face was a goner years ago) so I decided to start working out and losing weight.  I was playing indoor soccer and decided to step it up so I started playing three hours on Friday nights.  My first two games I played goalkeeper, which is a great workout for upper body too since you find yourself on the ground a lot an have to get up quick.  Then my third game I played on the field which helped with my stamina.  You can't imagine the feeling I got at 38 when a muscular 24 year old asked me what kind of vitamins I took, and when another guy who worked out regularly exclaimed that even after I had been running for two hours and he just got there for the third game he couldn't keep up with me.

The other days when I wasn't playing soccer I rode my mtn bike up some long steep hills.  I had a route and did that run a few times a week, and when I started I couldn't peddle half way up the hill.  After two weeks I was able to ride the hill in top gear without a problem.  I mapped the route in my car and it was about 26 miles.

When all was said and done, I had lost nearly 25 pounds in three weeks.  People who had seen me before and hadn't seen me until after were in shock and couldn't believe it.  People tell me it's not healthy to do that, but I didn't stop eating and worked on my feet 9 hours a day, the weight just came off.

Now I'm 45 and once again I'm not thrilled with the way I look (body wise, face is still a goner) so I plan to hit the bike again and eventually lose the weight again.  I have some nice hills around me now...so maybe not 26 miles but a great workout.

I'm going to keep track and see what my progress is.  I already lost five pounds by just eating right, not as much and doing a little riding and working in the yard on a hot day!

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 11:02:51 AM »
Barb, say it isn't so please! :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 02:11:21 PM »
I hated going back to the gym.  I find it horribly boring at the best of times and after not being around for almost three weeks I didn't enjoy it at all.  I wish I could find something else to do around here that has a bit more social aspect to it, but still get the exercise.  I'd drop the gym in a minute.

Bart

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 05:47:18 PM »
I always take excersize where I find it, and it's never at the gymn. Over the next few days, this will be my excersize. Splitting and stacking my wood for the winter.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 06:13:11 PM »
I always do stretching exercises every morning.  I walk (not much here lately cuz it's too hot) but around 4 miles a few times a week.  I ride my bike which I love because I live on back roads and I like to take it off road.  I also take my exercise wherever I can get it and when I go into the fire dept. on a fire, it's strenuous work and when fire's out, there's all that rolling of hose to be done... (8:-)
If I would just not snack in the evening... ::)

LuAnn
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 06:27:11 PM »
Yeah luann  Dr Cooper the running Dr. now deceased ugh. said the fat begins at 6:00 O'clock.
I love snacks at night.  Days i am a saint. :-\
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 04:32:55 PM »
This is the end product of the last 3 days of excersizing.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

mascot

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »
can I have some Steve?  You need more exercise, bring it to me in Calif! (8:-)

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 10:48:02 PM »
No wonder Steve is lean!  Good job Steverino!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"