Author Topic: Look what I found in the barn!  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Look what I found in the barn!
« on: May 18, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »
I know not everyone likes these little critters, and no one knows better than I do how BRATTY they can be but, gee, when they are whining and chirping....who can resist? {:-P;;

Oh yeah,,,,I put him back :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Look what I found in the barn!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:04:48 PM »
How cute!! We have one that comes to our house every night. We feed the birds and he (she) started coming to look for leftover food. So we put a cookie out each night now and he comes to eat.
zone 5b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
Cute little critter but I would be afraid to pick it up for fear of being bit.....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »
What Mickey said!   I think that is a juvenile?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 09:48:14 PM »
OH, HE'S SO CUTE!!!     o(:-)  Let's hope he doesn't find your pond.  You'll have to relocate him.   >:(-

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 02:13:05 AM »
I remember when I was a kid that a little of coons came to the barn. I wonder if they can smell the milk or something. My uncles put them in a cage and took care of them. Eventually we gave them to the local zoo. That was maybe 55 years ago and now it would be illegal to try to keep a wild animal without being licensed I think.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 06:08:48 AM »
Oh, how adorable!!  I hope he/she was eventually reunited with mom.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 07:59:36 AM »
Oh, he's so cute o(:-)

Years ago someone we knew shot a raccoon in his barn, then found three babies.  He brought them to us and we raised them on bottles.  We had so much fun that summer.  Our boys were little and we would buy minnows and teach them to fish and hunt for bugs, etc. We named them Rebecca, Regina and Rowdy.  When they were grown we turned them loose at my in-laws farm.  We built a "treehouse" for them and a platform feeder.  We kept dogfood in the feeder and would call them in the evening to see how they were doing.  For about two weeks they would come to us and crawl right up our pantslegs.  Eventually, they never came and the dogfood went uneaten.  We felt like we had done a good job raising them and our kids still talk about them. 

Thanks for the memories..............

Karen

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 11:40:01 AM »
Thanks all,,,,yes, they make great pets.  Yes they bite Mikey, but these babies only have gums with some small milk teeth.  And yes, mom leaves them for an hour or so and she comes back to feed them...I'm sure it won't be long before they are joining her in the garage to eat the cat food for the cats  >:(-   They are so clumsy.  She is sitting on the platform with the catfood at the same time every afternoon.  She thinks we can't see her because he hides her eyes with her paws...so cute.  She seems very used to us, knows when we come and go, but it always startles me when I reach up there to fill the bowl and she's sitting there :o   lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 08:48:15 AM »
Oh wow... how sweet.  We don't get them over here.

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 08:55:46 AM »
I love raccoons.   We have a lot of them here.   I am not sure how many now...some come early and some come late.
I put out 40 to 50 lb. of dog food a night for them.   They have never bothered anything here.   They come, they eat, they leave.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 12:44:46 PM »
They do that here too Marilyn...I get so aggravated at them sometimes but I really like them overall.  We have opossums that walk around the yard, and drink from the various watering holes but we don't see them as much.  I really enjoy watching groundhogs but don't have any of those close to the barns and house right now.  Just as well, or DH would think he needs target practice since they dig under the foundations of the barns and such. 

Oh Kaz, I guess it would be against the law to ship a racoon to the UK... lol  I would have thought that you had them or at least something equivalent hanging out in your barns.. :)
LuAnn

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 08:29:42 AM »
He is a cutie for sure. See them from time to time down here but probably won't be many left after the fires.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 10:36:46 AM »
He is adorable... quite the little youngun.  :)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"