Author Topic: Dragonflys  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Dragonflys
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:56:23 AM »
My pond is about 2 months old now. Water finally cleared and all kinds of wildlife are starting to enjoy it!  Birds are bathing in the stream - I have been sitting in the sunroom alot trying to get some photos!  Yesterday the Dragonflys started coming arround - mostly small plain brown ones.  Then this HUGE Blue one showed up and I got this photo of it!  All I can say is WOW my new camera works well even on zoom!!  I dont think I have ever taken a picture so Perfect!!  The sun was shining and I think my Flash was on 'redeye' so it went off and the way the wings just sparkled!  Now if only I could get good pictures of my flowers and lilies - I just can not take a really good flower shot!!

Lori TX

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonflys
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »
Nice shot!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 07:47:53 PM »
Don't ya just love those dargonflys .... o(:-)
Nice picture
bonnie

Offline the Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »

Dang it!  MY pond's YEARS old, and the dragonflys don't come any more... not since the koi got bigger.

Our arboretum is having a talk on dragonflies this coming Sunday.  I'm gonna go.  I just love 'em.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:27 AM »
That's really nice!! I've had them zipping around this spring, but haven't seen them at the pond. I think I don't have enough tall plants yet.
Last year i got some shots of a blue one like that up close on macro setting. It sat there and let me take about 30 shots!
Try macro for your flowers too.
Kathy

Offline Shae

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 04:43:35 AM »
Great pic! I love the dragonflies too. Haven't seen any yet this year, but they were all around last year.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »
"Build it and they will come." A new pond with all the wildlife that shows up is so exciting... Soon there will babies of all that stuff dropping by or growing up in your pond.   @O@

.....The more you look the more you'll see. :o

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 12:43:08 AM »
Great shot there.  Dragonfly's are one of my most favorite things.  I love watching them, and I also like collecting things with them on it. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline charlotteda

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Charlottes Website
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 12:47:15 PM »
Great shot !
Charlotte

Offline the Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 06:40:32 PM »
Our arboretum had a talk today on dragonflies.  I learned a good bit.

I went all prepared to whine about how the dragonflies never come to my yard anymore, when, this morning while feeding the fish, here came not one but two - a pair - of those bright day-glow orange neon dashers or whatever they're called!!  I was thrilled.

But our lecturer said that having koi in the pond is one way to NOT have dragonflies.  He said "fish" don't seem to make a difference, as fish occur in ponds naturally, and natural ponds have plenty of dragonflies.  But koi are so big and so aggressive (and apparently so successful at snapping up dragonflies) that they will keep the insects from visiting your pond.

He also said that dragonflies are going to hang somewhere where they can reproduce, not where their eggs and larvae are likely to be eaten.  So, the pair by my pond must have been fairly young (they only live weeks, or maybe months, depending on species), and were not at this time hunting a place to mate.  When they do, they will surely go to a safer body of water to lay their eggs.

But it was cool to see them today!   @O@

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Dragonflies
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 09:38:42 AM »
Build a small pond with no fish for wildlife. I put several small liner ponds in my front yard as it is full sun and they have far more wildlife than the big pond in the backyard that has goldfish. There are hundreds of tadpoles and dragonflies zipping around and the water is full of all sorts of aquatic insects and life that I can't identify. Need to call Wetbug to come over and tell me. I use Mosquito Dunks and don't have problems with mosquitoes. I put dirt on top of the liner and planted miniature/small waterlilies right in the dirt and these ponds have been really fascinating.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 09:50:20 AM »
Leann, that sounds really cool!

I have koi in my pond and I get alot of dragonflies around. They land on plants and on my frog spitter. We see them daily. They probably don't mate here, but the larvae eat small fish, so that's o.k.

I bet you'll see more of them.
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"