Author Topic: Plants for Shady Ponds  (Read 792 times)

Offline the Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Plants for Shady Ponds
« on: May 21, 2007, 02:21:08 PM »

In another thread, someone asked what pond plants would thrive in shade.  I started a new thread, because it's easier to spot, rather than fish through all the previous posts in that original thread.

-That little star plant, which I forget the name of at the moment, which comes in white or yellow, and it's leaves are heart-shaped and look a lot like a miniature water lily.  It comes back every year.

-Water Poppy, which also has a flower, but I don't remember what color.  Mine all died and didn't come back in the spring.  Plus, the koi ate it.

-I got a cool plant called water hawthorne, which is like a lily, but has long skinny leaves, and really bizarre, waxy flowers clustered like on ginger plants.  It dies in the summer, but is green in the winter (in south Texas, that is).

-Also, the water garden place told me that most bog plants do better in shade than most lilies.  That would open the door to TONS of choices, if you have a shallow area.

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
Re: Plants for Shady Ponds
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 07:46:11 AM »
Water Snowflake is what you're thinking of  O0

Most anything that doesn't bloom will do ok in the shade. 

The "Little Giant" Papyrus does well in shade.

Monkey Flower (Mimulus) likes part shade.

Water Lettuce does well in shade.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Plants for Shady Ponds
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:23:43 AM »
I've got dwarf Equiseteum, forget me not, black rush, golden club, and variegated water celery thriving in the shade.

Pickeral doesn't bloom as much and parrot's feather stretches out.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"