Author Topic: petunia's  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
petunia's
« on: May 21, 2007, 07:30:10 PM »
When they say you should pinch the flowers to make the plant bushier do you actually pinch it or do you cut off the flower?  And will a petunia cutting root?
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: petunia's
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:48:48 PM »
When you "pinch back" a plant you actually pinch off the new tip of the new growth and this forces the plant to start new, new growth.  Think of it as pruning but not as severe.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:15:32 AM »
Thanks mikey.  I'll go out and cut the flowers off.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline lindaky

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »
I pinch the dead flower heads on mine until the plants are established. This is supposed to keep the plants from using all their energy on producing seed and allow the plant to grow. I don't know if this is true or just an old wives tale. I pinch the new growing tips if the plants are becoming long and don't have much foilage near the top to try and promote growth nearer the top of the plant. I actually pinch them. :o ;D

Offline GAjen

• Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »
We pinch the dead ones off....dead heading.

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 04:14:57 AM »
Pinching off the finished flowers so the plant doesn't waste energy making seed is definitely NOT an old wives tale. If I get lazy with my pansies, they stop blooming and start looking really shabby.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 08:52:59 AM »
Pinching off any flowers when planting annuals is smart.

Good to buy them in bloom to make sure they are labeled correctly but best to pinch them back to let them get established a bit before blooming all season.

Deadheading is also smart. Keeps the plant blooming instead of wasting time setting seed.

Both reward you with more flowers in the long run. Neither are Old Wive's Tales!

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 08:56:22 AM »
I do deadhead them I was just wondering about the "pinching" of them.  Thanks guys!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"