Author Topic: An act of kindness for my neighbors pond  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
An act of kindness for my neighbors pond
« on: May 23, 2007, 08:59:19 PM »
I have two neighbors across the street from me that I think dearly of.   The Mother (Linda), Kristi daughter to Linda, and Hailey is Kristi's little girl.  Are you confused yet...

I made her a filter many years ago, but last year she increased her pond size and never increased her pump size or filter.  The goldies did fine, but she wanted a different type filter that she didn't have to lift in and out of the pond, because of her bad knees, plus it did need more filtration.  Her daughter (my friend Kristi) lives in the house next to her, so we talked last night and tag teamed it tonight.  So, Kristi, my dh, her little 10 year old daughter, my 9 year old daughter a 10 year old friend and myself tore into it.  Took us about 3 hours.

We cleaned it all the way out.  It was so full of muck and leaves it was just easier this way.  I just explained to her that we were going to use some of the old water to jump start it, and not spray all the good stuff off the sides.   

Linda had  been trying to get it cleaned out, but her own (Linda's) mother  just had surgery so Linda has been staying at the hospital with her.  Poor fish, pond 1/2 drained no pump going but emergency happened and she just had to stop.  Her poor lily is just about toast sitting in no water since this past weekend and its hot and dry here, gonna hook her up with new plants.  If she would have told me I would have went over and finished then.  She don't like to ask people for anything.

I told her that when she bought a new pump I would create her something easier for her.  She finally did.  While cleaning it out, it hit me how to make a temp. filter until I make her something else.  You can see it in the background.  Remember its only temporary, quick fix for a couple of days.  I used a big cat litter bucket.  Should be alright for a few days.

But the thing that tickled me was, using her old small pump that she thought was dead into a water feature.  Still needs a little tweaking, but it was 10 pm and we were putting fish back into the pond.  I tackel it tomorrow.  It will be a small surprise to her, wish that little pump had a little more umpth to it.  I know its not much but I think it will tickle her.  .........maybe with a little tweaking I can get it to flow over more.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Shae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: An act of kindness for my neighbors pond
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:45:26 AM »
Kim, I am so touched by your kindness and thoughtfulness. If the world had more souls just like you, it would definitely be a much better place. You are truly a good neighbor!

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 04:48:27 AM »
What a great neighbor you are Kim!  If I hadn't already sold all my extra lily divisions, I would send you some for her pond :-\  The overflowing terra cotta pot looks great  O0
Joey

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 06:01:21 AM »
What a great neighbor you are! The cat litter bucket is a great solution! At least you have circulation and some filtering going on. O0
Kathy

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 07:48:55 AM »
Kim, you are a good soul.    That was so very kind of you.   I know your neighbor appreciates it very much!

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 07:53:07 AM »
I agree Kim you are a very special person.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »
Don't worry you all, I have many variety's of hardy lilies.   I just got to get into my big pond and devide them.  She only needs 1 or 2 her pond isn't real big,  and I have a couple other things I can put in there.  Can't wait to hear her reaction.

Kim
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 10:59:57 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"