Author Topic: House is sold--ready to build a pond. Help! (pics)  (Read 1799 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
House is sold--ready to build a pond. Help! (pics)
« on: May 27, 2007, 08:43:46 PM »
As many of you, my longtime watergardening friends, know, we moved from Florida to Texas this year. The house in Florida closed this week so now I am ready to get the new backyard in shape! There is a concrete patio out back followed by a deck that was poorly stained (not by us). I think this is a difficult area as the transition from patio to deck is a couple inches off. My idea is to remove existing deck and build a new one over the concrete and straight out, one continuous deck. Also to add a pergola structure over the area where the concrete patio currently is. There is a massive crape myrtle in the middle of the backyard and the branches spread maybe 25' across. Since this is one of about 3 trees in the backyard, it must stay. It does block the view of the future pond site, but we just have to work around it. I'm thinking about building in a bench on the far side of said deck on a lower level than the main deck, or else build one step down the entire exterior perimeter of this new deck. It's tricky since the yard is sloped. There is a swingset/fort in the sunny corner of the yard that I think should be relocated to the side yard, right outside the kitchen window. It's sort of leaning right now and needs to be fixed, so why not move it? The pond could go in the side yard, but I think it would make sense for it to be off of this deck, the main feature of the outdoor space.  Our neighborhood was designed with all driveways behind the homes so there are no cars parked in front yards. There is a very nice alley behind the house and the new fence has a matching electric gate so the entire backyard is utilized. Some homes have their fences going around the edges of the driveway, but I like the way ours is. Here are some photos to help explain all of this!

This is the view of the back porch from the left of the driveway.

This is looking from the driveway over to the swing set.

This is looking at the back porch from the swing set. There used to be a hot tub on the deck and the heater was natural gas powered. They converted the gas line directly to the grill. It was nice that they left it for us (probably too much hassle to move!). Maybe the new deck could go around this crape myrtle.

This is the side yard where I would like to relocate the swing set thing to. This stretch of yard is maybe 30-40' long and about 15' wide.

And last, here is a direct view of the spot where I would like the pond. From the other side yard!

Now, here is where I need help.
1. Can the new growth at the base of the crape myrtle be cut?
2. The yard is sloped, and although it doesn't rain as much here as it does in Florida, when it does rain there is a lot of run off due to the clay soil. It's not very absorbent. Do we need to build up some top soil to "level" out that one corner of the yard, or do we work with the slope? There is an in-ground sprinkler system that is fairly new that needs to be kept in mind. Also, the alley behind the house is brand new concrete, so we could incorporate some type of overflow to drain onto it. Some of our neighbors with pools have done this.
3. I would like to have a "natural" looking pond like Karen Jenn or Indiana Karen. My space out there is maybe like 15'x30'. Is it possible to pull off a waterfall without a really long stream? Should we set the pond a certain distance from the fence to allow for planting shrubs and or small trees? Maybe a stream could originate by the side yard (point of view from last photo) and go down the slope into the pond?
4. any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 08:49:00 PM by jclements »
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline jclements

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: House is sold--ready to build a pond. Help! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:11:21 PM »
Here is a schematic of the yard. Please forgive my "Paint" drawing, lol! It probably would have been faster to scan in the blue print/survey!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/jclements16/Back%20yard/crestoverschematic.jpg
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 09:28:09 PM »
Jessica, I am so sorry. When you asked me I was good- drew a pic of my entire layout, yet neglected to ask you pertinent questions AND neglected to send you the layout. I'm sorry! Good to see pics, though.
You have a nice back yard there. One thing I notice is that you wish to replace patio with deck. Perhaps it would be better to replace deck with patio? I am only thinking here about maintinence, since decks are truly a pain to maintain (no rhyme intended). I don't know, maybe if we had all patio instead of deck, we'd be singing a different tune. But I can't stand the maintenence on our deck.

I only have 2.5 years of experience with Crepe Myrtles. We cut out all of the old dead wood and crummy looking branches, and let the new sprouts fill in. Don't know if that's proper, but it did bring new life to a neglected 40 year-old CM. Looks like yours is old and beautiful.

Re: Relocating the swing set to the side yard. Is there enough width to the side yard? ie: if the kids fly off the swing mid-air, will they slam into the brick wall? You certainly know a lot more about the physics of that than I do, but boys have a way of exceeding expectations...  :o ;)

The yard is sloped, but it doesn't look like that much. I wouldn't try for the giant-pile-of-rock type waterfall. Maybe find an old hand-pump or do a subtle, short stream with a small waterfall. Or a formal pond! (wow) Then again, what is your goal? Fish or plants? Plants don't need too much of a turnaround; while fish need more aeration, filtration, and 'flow'.

I agree with you in that the pond should be right where you can enjoy it- off the deck. What are the rooms that the deck is off of? Will you be able to swish open some curtains and see the pond? That really is nice when you can do that.

The color of your brick is very pretty. Maybe you can incorporate some of those colors in your pond (rocks,etc).

I just noticed your pots... they look soooo familiar!  ;) My hubby's about ready to throw them all in the trash.  {nono}
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 09:33:49 PM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Karen, thanks for the ideas, compliments. Maybe the deck could be made into patio, but with the slope of the yard, one side would have to be fairly deep. The door on the left goes to the master bedroom, the left window by the patio is bedroom #4, the next two windows are the den, and then on the right side of the patio is a really big window into the breakfast area. There would be decent views from the den and breakfast area. I guess that door is on the MB because there used to be a hot tub on the deck? We'll definitely have to reconfigure the swing set. DH was planning to keep the hardware and get redwood. The person that put it together initially didn't do such a great job. The house was built in 1965, and I think the magnolia out front is original, possibly the CM too. They're everywhere here in Dallas, apparently do well in dry conditions. Good idea on the hand pump. That could work. We definitely want plants and some fish. I'm leaning more towards hardies than tropicals here, they're a sure bet for overwintering. I'm not sure if tropicals would make it outdoors here.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:35:01 AM »
I wondered abotu the spacefor the swing set too. My kids have taken to "flying" from the swings lately {nono}
I like the spot you chose for the pond. Will you be able to see/hear it from the house? I really like that about the location of mine. It's so nice to be able to open the window and hear it and look at it even when the weather doesn't allow us to be out there.

Remember to allow yourself enough room behind it for maintaining the fence. I think you have to reseal them every few years. Building a deck around the tree would be nice. You could build a bench or planter boxes around the base of it too.
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 05:32:33 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work to me. I guess the only thought or contribution I had was about the tree. Do CM trees drop their leaves like our trees in the fall? I can just imagine all those leaves in the pond.

Good luck with your plans.

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 07:05:13 AM »
You can definitely prune the crepe myrtle, not a problem. I think the swingset in the side yard might be a tight fit too. Not sure what to do about it though.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 07:12:32 AM »
I just went out and measured the width of the swing set. From 2' behind the rock wall to about 2' in front of the long slide. It's 19 feet (allowing space to get on and off of it). The side yard is 20' wide. We will probably reconfigure it when we move it anyway and can maybe put a "fort platform" on each end with swings in the middle. The long slide could go off of one platform and the spiral slide could go off the other. That would then give lots of room in the width, even though it could technically fit now.

There are a dozen or so starts at the base of the crepe myrtle. Should they be cut flush with the ground? As I recall, it's sort of a "weedy" tree. Is there anything we can do to prevent these little starts?

Thanks again for all of the comments!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 09:16:35 AM »
Cut them flush with the ground or as close to the trunk as you can get. You can do it now. It is normal for them to put up "suckers" like that; I don't think you can prevent it. I prune mine each spring right when the tree is leafing out (do they drop their leaves in Texas in the winter? They do in Maryland). My Fine Gardening magazine says to cut off any branches that are skinnier in width than a pencil; this encourages the rest of the trunks to grow thicker, and you want thick trunks to support the weight of the flowers (last year some of my skinny stems bent over and broke from the flower weight).

It's a nice tree you have; I'm glad you're saving it. Mine might be that big in 30 years or so. Which actually would be a problem since it's quite close to the deck and partway underneath it!

I'm glad you can make the swingset fit. We used to have a monster one in our backyard.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 10:13:48 AM »
Thanks, Sheila!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 10:31:55 AM »
Jessica, you have a really nice backyard.  I would definitely keep the crepe myrtle, kids need shade to play in.  We have two skimmers in our pond that do a good job of catching the leaves.

You could wrap your stream around the corner of the house coming from the side yard.  To get the slope on our stream and waterfall, we actually sat the biofilter right on top of the ground and filled in around it.  We planted bigger bushes and an evergreen tree to help hide it.  Our idea was to make the pond look like it was spring fed.  We used all of the dirt we dug out to build up the biofilter and also one side of the pond which was on a slope.  We actually had to bring in more dirt.

Our waterfalls face the house, you could do this, but might have to shorten up the stream and bring the pond right up to your deck.  Our pond is only 3 ft. from our deck.  We enjoy our view of the pond and falls from inside the house.

We took hoses and rope and layed ours out, then lived with it a few days to get it just right.

You asked in another post for some construction pictures, I found some, wish I had taken more.  

About your deck.  We have one and they do require annual cleaning and staining.  I have always wanted a brick patio.  I wanted one when we built the house but the builder and hubby talked me out of it because they said in our area the bricks would raise up and become uneven with the winter freezes.  I had hoped that by now our deck would be rotted, but after sixteen years, its still in good shape >:(-

Karen

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 02:50:03 PM »
That is a lovely lawn.  Just keep playing with the ideas you have...maybe semi-raised in the back corner?  Where is Carlos when we need hints and ideas?

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »
Sue, I keep trying to get Carlos up here to build a pond, but he says he doesn't do work outside of San Antonio!  >:(

The entire front and side yards have been sodded with St. Augustine, and parts of the back have too. If we do some excavation, it would give Dh an opportunity to resod the back.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 11:13:59 AM »
Beautiful yard..........your going to have alot of fun with that.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"