Author Topic: You have hear of bird brain  (Read 1771 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
You have hear of bird brain
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:10:12 PM »
I don't know what these birds were thinking when they built their nest here.  Looks to me they have 5 eggs waiting to hatch.  I tried to get a pic of the birds but the ones I took did  not show to much.  Please excuse the ugly light fixture.  This is a motion detector light and it is on a lot during the night.  I guess they really like the extra heat.

Myra
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 05:46:14 PM by small fish »
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: You have hear of bird brain
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:33:56 PM »
Those are Barn Swallows. They fly at dusk to catch mosquitos and other flying insects.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 05:45:41 PM »
Oh, great...... I wanted to asked if any one could id the bird, but I could not get a good enought pic ...  and if they are barn swallows, what are they doing at my frond door?   8-)~

Myra

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »
I think it is so neat the way they use mud to coat the outside of the nest, kinda like an adobe house. Of course they usually build around barns or out buildings on the farm but if that is not available, they'll build wherever. That bird cheated he used the wall, the soffit, and the light to give him a substantial nest. Often they just stick them to the wall and the overhang.

Have you ever thought about how different each species of birdnest is?

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 07:26:09 PM »
Interesting, yes .... I supected the way my door was inset was a plus for the birds... guess she would like for me to stop going in and out... and stop looking in the nest, too   o(:-)

Myra

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »
That is too cool. I have recently been thinking about how sooo many species of animals have "thrown" their lot in with Humans. Would barn swallows have done so well if not for Humans building barns (& houses)? Mice? Dogs?  Chipmonks? :D

Try to get some pics when the eggs hatch!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:13:06 PM »
Purple Martins have also "thrown in their lot" with humans.  They depend a LOT on the purple martin houses and/or gourds that are hung for them.  They know they are safer from some other predators when they are around humans and are very sociable around people...even allowing them to lower the PM houses and clean out any unwanted sparrow nests. 

We even had the purple marten house blown over (to the ground) by a bad storm.  The Purple Martin babies were thrown out on the ground.  We fixed the pole, and I held the baby birds while my DH repaired/replaced the nest.  Those parents came back and raised the babies that year.  Some birds won't do that if you mess with their nest or their babies.   

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 03:44:13 AM »
I don't know what these birds were thinking when they built their nest here.  Looks to me they have 5 eggs waiting to hatch.  I tried to get a pic of the birds but the ones I took did  not show to much.  Please excuse the ugly light fixture.  This is a motion detector light and it is on a lot during the night.  I guess they really like the extra heat.

Myra

Very cool Small Fish, the birds were thinking shelter from the rain. Also, the get additional heat for the chicks when the light comes on at night, smart birds.

It speaks well of you also, there are real jerks out there that would have destroyed the nest as a "nuisance" or an "eyesore" when in fact it is a really beautifull thing. My wife loves Spring, the birds are non stop to our feeder and then they bring the babies back here.

The babies, allthough they can fly, still want the parents to eat the seed and then feed them and we get to watch it all unfold. Ain't life grand?

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 04:43:08 AM »
The thought of teariing the nest down never entered my mind... I alway thing it is a specially good thing to be a small part of such a natural thing.  Some years ago, I had a wreath hung on the front door and the birds built a nest there, laid eggs and hatched them.  That was really neat as the nest was lower and you could see in it easier.  Only problem then was opening and closing the door could have been more harzard for the nest and birds.  But they were ok with it.    o(:-)

Myra

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 05:42:19 PM »
That reminds me of last year when we had a robin build a nest in our garage. She happened to find the ladder that hung on the wall and built a nest in it. Isn't it just the cutest..... o(:-)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 11:27:50 PM »
I love that picture!  Fantastic!  Baby birds are sooo demanding, their mothers have to be the most patient, hard working mothers on the planet.  I know I'd be telling them to shut up and let me get some rest.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 01:07:37 PM »
Sandye, I didn't know that about Purple Martins. How interesting!
I'd love to try attracting Purple Martins.  o(:-)

Daisy, that picture is wonderful.

I could sit outside all day watching birds. In fact, maybe I already am. My laundry pile is getting higher and higher. I need to reset my priorities.  {:-P;; Oh well, it's only spring once a year.
Karen

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
Karen, you're definitely within the breeding range of purple martins.  See http://purplemartin.org/scoutreport/

I'm sure if you go back to the home page of that site, you will get a lot more information about purple martins.  If you have a place you can put a martin house that is 15-20 feet away from trees and buildings, you should be able to put a house up.  It may take a couple of years to attract birds, tho (sometimes) because they tend to go back to where they were raised...of course that always leaves a lot of birds that can't nest where they were born and therefore have to find another house close by.  O0 

I love to watch our purple martins swooping in the evening...and eating mosquitoes!    o(:-)  They ARE very sociable and will sit on the electric wires while we are working in the yard right below them.   :)

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 09:18:49 PM »
Sandye, thanks for the great info. I will have to research them a little more, I'm not sure I have enough room for them to swoop in to a house, as my yard is heavily treed. I don't think I have any space that is 15-20 feet away from a tree (building- yes; tree- no).
I'm having some same issues with where to hang the bat house. Too many trees!
Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"