Author Topic: Lily Floral Boquets  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Lily Floral Boquets
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:49:40 PM »
Here are some floral boquets.
As I keep telling my wife..... no don't pick them... that is a cross for the future. Hopefully.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: Lily Floral Boquets
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:53:13 PM »
Here are a few more.
The first is a view of some lilies I hope to repot this week... with the exception of my as yet unnamed lavendar in the far pool.
The other shots are all of Craig's lilies along with a N. King of Siam and a N. Rhonda Kay.
I hope you like them.
Tim

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »
For those who have wondered if my technique for fertilizing... granular flower food  10 52 10 and pond tabs works, each of the 1st three pix are of one plant with all of those blooms.
As I said in several posts, as soon as they start producing babies to sap the food supply I repot and divide.

Tim
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:49:52 AM by Timgod »

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »
Here is N. Woods Blue Goddess in bloom.

Tim

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:17:26 AM »
Do I have to say anything....... :2thumbs: Ahhhhh

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 10:24:02 AM »
See Jen,
I told you kiddie pools work great for lilies.
There is also goldies in each but you can't see them unless you feed them or thin out the pads. LOL

Tim

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 02:08:14 AM »
Hi Tim:

Interesting setup I noticed some poles, do you setup a shade house (summer) or greenhouse over the winter.  I would think with the shallow water the lilies would spread and tuber like crazy.  When my folks were growers we had a propagation area ~ 50x50 at ~ 10" deep enclosed in a green house where we potted everything in small containers to encourage growth and tubering, before moving out to the larger ponds.  Boy did it get hot in there...I know I only went in at early dawn and the etemperature typically was above 90 and virtually 100% humidty!  Rough working conditions and no one was in there for more than an hour.

Gary

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 03:22:58 PM »
I had bought about 20 new lilies last year including all of the Presnell varieties I had been looking for the last few years.
All were single plants and I didn't want to take a chance on losing any so I built a greenhouse for the winter.
Nasty storms tore it to heck a few times and I had to recover it.
When we started hitting mid 80's in March it was over 100 in there so I knew it would not stay covered through the summer.
Houston has about 90% humidity all of the time so it gets very steamy here plus temps to 100 degrees not uncommon.
The last storm that basically yanked it apart so that it was inside out decided the matter for me.
65 mph winds did a number on the plastic so I didn't put it back.

Tim

Offline GAjen

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 04:02:57 PM »
See Jen,
I told you kiddie pools work great for lilies.
There is also goldies in each but you can't see them unless you feed them or thin out the pads. LOL

Tim

I ordered a red flare it'll have to go in one until I do something else. How can I resist a night bloomer!!! {:-P;;

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 05:43:48 PM »
I ordered a Red Flare (a replacement) and a Texas Shell Pink from matherfish a couple days ago.

Tim

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Same guy I got mine from. Can't wait to get it........ @O@

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 10:43:29 AM »
Your pics always amaze me, I really enjoy looking at them.  All your lily's are beautiful and look VERY happy.  One of these years I'm going to get a Rhona Kay, I think she's really pretty.  I had black prince last year, (didn't over winter, was the only tropical I lost in my greenhouse...I must be getting better at it) its a pretty lily but still doesn't compare to Rhonda Kay to me.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
I looked up N. Black Prince after someone had mentioned it or I saw it on a site from one of the members who sells lilies. It's nice enough but very close to other lilies I have.

Ky Kim, I'm glad you like what I put up here.

Tim

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 10:11:49 AM »
Your lilies are so healthy and big.  I can't do that so I'm using your pics for whenever I need a view of beautiful lilies.  I can pretend thye're mine  o(:-)
Easier to push a button then to rip my hair out from seeing my own wimpy pads - What flowers?  >:(-

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 11:10:35 AM »
Thanks so much Annette.

Here are a few new ones from today.

All hail the king....The N. King of Siam that is.
Also the beauty that is N. Colorado.

Tim

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 02:58:54 AM »
(As usual ;) )  Stunning shots of some amazing flowers! Thanks for sharing!  :clap:
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 09:19:13 AM »
Great pics .... I love seeing mass growth of the blooms & pads.  I don't have enough flat land left for kiddie pools  {:-P;;
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »
But Tim she does grow great lily's. I swear y'all are killing me. Shep is at work and I have the checkbook and control of paypal. Go ahead somebody tell me that little ole rotten 8x6 goldfish pond I have is worth doing away with to have a nice large lily pond!! I'll be waiting for someone to say just that.

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 07:39:31 PM »
Jen,
I think maybe you misunderstood.... I grow the lilies and I put up with her Koi.
I meant you and I were the same in that I went for the lilies while my wife loves the Koi and goldies.
I actually do all of it.

So far I have a N.Colorado and my as yet unnamed lavendar in the new Koi pond. They tried to kill them but I have gotten the better of them so far.
As you may have seen in the updated pics of the Koi pond I posted for you they 2 lilies are growing and blooming.

I have one pool with nothing but my unnamed lavendar. Ken Landon, the god of all things waterlily is growing one out at his place in San Angelo to see how big he can get it for final evaluation.
I need a large number of plants in case he decides it is worthy of naming.
If you don't know who Ken Landon is, he owns and controls the International Waterlily Collection. The largest collection of lilies, species and hybrids in the world.

Now I have to build something new or get a bunch more pools.

I have 3 victorias that are quickly outgroing the confined space I have them in. I have 4 more that are not that far behind.
I have never attempted to grow them before. I got seed. Most did not germinate. The 1st 5 plants died in an embryonic state so I chunked all the rest of the seed in to see if I could get something to live. Well boy have I done it now. The 3 that are getting too big have 6 inch pads at this point. The others have 2 inch pads.

Tim

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 06:52:06 PM »
Here are some Lindsey Woods up close.

Tim

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 03:40:52 AM »
Your lillies are just so beautiful, I am hoping you will give me advice on starting some in pools like that. I ordered a flat rate box special of unknown/unnamed lillies from Kat, and I want to be prepared for them when they get here. Obviously, they will not winter here in the pools, but it just looks so beautiful I must have them like that for the summer.

Please tell me your secrets to such healthy plants!
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 05:57:11 AM »
When I plant them I super fertilize them.
I always put 3 or 4 pond tabs under the lilies as well as continue to feed throughout the summer with them.
However when I am mixing up the dirt, sand, clay etc I also mix in a granular terrestrial flower fertilizer that is 10-50-10. The middle number indicates the nutrients for flowering.
I just got a Red Indian Goddess a few weeks ago from Kat. I noticed yesterday that it already has 2 buds even though it is still a pretty immature lily.
Planting time is really the only time I can use the granulas, they are the consistency of sugar. Later on I would have to disturb the roots too much or worry about the granules dissolving and leeching into the water.

Tim

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »
Please forgive my ignorance in this area,  :-\  but I also would like to know what you actually planted them in, before putting into the pools. Do you just use regular pots, fill with soil (if so, what kind), tamp down and gravel the top to keep soil in? As I mentioned before in another post, I have only ever had the preplanted lillies from Walmart, which you just opened and dropped into the water....  ;D

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »
More Beautiful blooms  o(:-)

Thanks Tim  8)

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 05:38:07 PM »
Thanks miguynmkoi, glad you liked them.

thepitclub,
The pots that I use for starting lilies are 1/2 gallon flower containers like you see at garden centers with plants for sale in them.
They have 4 holes about the size of a nickel around the bottom edge of the container and a 5th hole in the center on the bottom.
I take several layers of newspaper to cover the holes.
I then put about 2 inches of heavy soil in the bottom to keep the newspaper in place.
I then mix in the granular fertilizer or sometimes some Osmocote into the dirt and fill the container to 2/3's full if the root system will still fit that way.
I then put in pond tabs and push them down into the soil at that depth.
I put the water lily in and carefully lock it into place with more soil to an even depth to cover all of the roots and keep the crown uncovered.
I then place either sand or rocks on top of the dirt to keep the dirt and fertilizer from leeching out into the water.
Try to keep the crown from being covered.
***If it is a tropical lily, you want it in the very center of the pot straight up and down as tropicals grow straight up like a tree.
***If it is a hardy, you want to place it at a 45 degree angle with the bottom edge nearest a wall.
The rhizome grows at the angle you plant it, continuing to grow up but it can get new growth nodes anywhere along it's rhizome so you could get several new growth points along the growing line.
This is not the gospel but it is the way I do it and it works very well for me.

Tim

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 05:42:44 PM »
I was talking about Kat if that is the Kat that sells the lily's. I bought my mother Colorado from her and plan to do future biz as well. Ordered a liner today for a new lily pond.  lol

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »
Tim, you are too kind! And after viewing your pics, when my lillies arrive, yours will be the gospel around here. Not sure what a rhizome is, but I will do a search right now.   :thinking:

Thank you for being so patient and helpful.

PS.
I hope they find your purple unnamed worthy of a fabulous name, such as, uhhmm.. The TIMGOD!
 :clap:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:05:48 PM by thepitclub »

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 08:33:26 PM »
A rhizome is what they call the root stock of a hardy lily.
Go check the tutorials section.
I have one there on dividing a Colorado. It is a hardy and there are pictures that show it before I chopped it up.

A hardy rhizome can produce plant divisions all over it like the eyes on a potato.

A tropical lily doesn't always do this. Think of it as a plant you buy at a garden center. You can plant it in your yard and watch it grow. But if you don't treat it right it will die and you would be out of luck.
It is a single plant and with the exception of viviparous lilies it usually will not divide into duplicates as easily as the hardies.
It can go dormant and produce what is called a tuber that could grow new plants. But you can also lose it during the tubering process.
Some varieties of tropical produce tubers throughout the year. If they do, you can grow new plants from the tuber. If the tuber is large enough, it could grow a new plant, you remove that plant and float the tuber again and if it still has enough stored energy it could possibly provide more plants.

Tim
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 09:43:36 PM by Timgod »

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 06:59:27 AM »
Great pics and great info Tim!   O0 O0 O0
Joey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 09:47:49 AM »
If it works this well for you....I'm crossing over to your gospel  8)  thanks Timgod  o(:-)

Now I need to get me some kiddie pools.  Just came to mind...at the end of summer many streets around here toss out their kiddie pools for lack of storage.  New job = curb diver  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"